PDA

View Full Version : New ipod touch headphones??

NeutronDecker
Sep 2, 2010, 10:44 AM
Do the headphones for the new ipod touch come with a built in microphone? Like they do on the iPhone..

Peterson8765
Sep 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
Naa, they are the same earbuds that came with the 8GB 3G touch with no remote/mic. I don't think it's really needed now since the new 4G touch has a mic built in.

Roessnakhan
Sep 2, 2010, 10:57 AM
The included earbuds don't have the remote? That's disconcerting, it was very useful.

Drucifer
Sep 2, 2010, 11:02 AM
While it does kind of suck that they went back to the old headphones I have to agree that the need for the headphones with built in mic is not required since the actual device now has a Microphone.

Not to mention the stock iPod headphone usually crap out in no time. I've never had a pair that lasted more than a few months. :(

skiltrip
Sep 2, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'm a little bummed the upper models still don't have the headphones with controls and mic on them. It'd be nice to use the controls when I'm walking the dog and things like that. Oh well. If I had my choice between a mic on headphone and a built in mic, I'll go with my built in mic any day.

rhythmac
Sep 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
I just "live chatted" with an Apple rep...

rep:You are chatting with Savana, an Apple Expert
Hi, my name is Savana. Welcome to Apple!
Hello! How may I assist you with your shopping in the Apple Online Store?

me:Do the headphones for the new ipod touch come with a built in remote/ microphone?

rep:The iPod touch comes with headphones that do no include a mic and remote. Would you like a link for the headphones that do have a mic and remote?

me:no....
but can the new touch be controlled by the old headphones?

rep:No problem! How large is your music library?
One moment while I research that for you.

me:btw, my library is 25gb

rep:Thanks! Were you looking at getting the 32GB iPod touch?

me:yes

rep:The earphones with a remote and mic are compatible with the newest version iPods!

me:"compatible" - does that mean the headphones can control the touch?
or just listen?!!!

rep:I apologize! Allow me to clarify. The earphones will control the new iPod touch! You can use the remote and mic to control the song and for voice control!
Do you already have these earphones?

me:yes...i have a 3g 32gb touch

rep:Fantastic! Are you familiar with AppleCare, then?

me:why do the new units not come with at the very least, the same headphones?

rep:I do not have that information. The new iPod touch comes with earphones without a remote and mic.
Were you planning on pre-ordering the new iPod touch today?

me:i was....but thats a deal breaker for me...
why nikel and dime us?

rep:I understand your concern. Do you have the earphones with a remote and mic from your 3rd generation iPod touch?

me:yes...when u buy a new car, do u take the tires from the old one and put it on the new?
i want two fully functioning units
is that too much to ask?
not trying to break ur shoes....i know u have nothing to do with it

rep:I understand your concern. Have you considered adding the earphones with remote and mic to your pre-order?

me:lol....BUY NEW HEADPHONES IN ADDITION?
thats funny
now u are not trying to help me...ur being a shill...
so not necessary

rep:I understand your frustration. Were there any other questions I may answer for you today?

me:i like apple products....i buy apple products, but i do not like to get taken for a ride by anyone...ok...i gues we're done...thx 4 ur candor

rep:Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business. If you would like more help, please chat with us again.

me:have a safe holiday weekend

rep:Thank you! Have a great day!
Thank you for choosing the Apple Store. If you have any additional questions, please chat us again.

so there you have it....the touch does not come with mic/remote earphones!

gdkid2010
Sep 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
I just "live chatted" with an Apple rep...

so there you have it....the touch does not come with mic/remote earphones!

Lol. That was actually a pretty entertaining read

qwerty808
Sep 2, 2010, 03:32 PM
i used the remote on those suckers ALL THE TIME. stingy bitches. :rolleyes:

rhythmac
Sep 2, 2010, 04:17 PM
Lol. That was actually a pretty entertaining read

thanks! :)

vanzantapple
Sep 2, 2010, 10:30 PM
Darn you! I never even had those remote headphones and now I'm gonna miss them. :mad:

swingerofbirch
Sep 2, 2010, 11:07 PM
@ rhythmac, The person you chatted with most likely is an independent contractor in the US who is contracted by Arise, contracted by Apple, to provide chat services. They are contractually obligated to offer AppleCare and try to sell non-stop and respond to questions within 15 seconds while maintaining up to four chats simultaneously (usually three at any one time). They are protected by no labor laws and they actually pay Arise for the opportunity to service Apple. It's an incredibly difficult job . They usually get bad information from their supervisors. Given all the the things going against them, she did a pretty good job with your chat. Although you were a little impolite to her, about 99% of the chatters she'll get are way ruder. I used to do her job. I'm involved in a class action lawsuit against Arise now. They basically lure you in make you pay up to thousands of dollars in training to work for the fruit as they call Apple. Then they let you work for a penance for a while. Then they terminate you so they can get new recruits who pay thousands in training and fees again. It's a crappy company. Well, both it and Apple for using it.

So, she is not a shill. She's a cog in a bloody machine. If she hadn't asked you to add those headphones to your order, she would have gotten in big-time trouble. I have been through chat reviews. When a supervisor sees a customer saying he doesn't want something, the supervisor reminds you that rejection is just a request for a better solution or more information. She would have gotten marked down if she hadn't gone for that sale, even though she knew it wasn't practical. I used to get in trouble for acknowledging to customers that they could upgrade their MacBook's hard drives after the sale without voiding the warranty. I even once sent a link to Apple's support page with Do it yourself instructions; that did not go over well.

elpmas
Sep 2, 2010, 11:16 PM
@ rhythmac, The person you chatted with most likely is an independent contractor in the US who is contracted by Arise, contracted by Apple, to provide chat services. They are contractually obligated to offer AppleCare and try to sell non-stop and respond to questions within 15 seconds while maintaining up to four chats simultaneously (usually three at any one time). They are protected by no labor laws and they actually pay Arise for the opportunity to service Apple. It's an incredibly difficult job . They usually get bad information from their supervisors. Given all the the things going against them, she did a pretty good job with your chat. Although you were a little impolite to her, about 99% of the chatters she'll get are way ruder. I used to do her job. I'm involved in a class action lawsuit against Arise now. They basically lure you in make you pay up to thousands of dollars in training to work for the fruit as they call Apple. Then they let you work for a penance for a while. Then they terminate you so they can get new recruits who pay thousands in training and fees again. It's a crappy company. Well, both it and Apple for using it.

So, she is not a shill. She's a cog in a bloody machine. If she hadn't asked you to add those headphones to your order, she would have gotten in big-time trouble. I have been through chat reviews. When a supervisor sees a customer saying he doesn't want something, the supervisor reminds you that rejection is just a request for a better solution or more information. She would have gotten marked down if she hadn't gone for that sale, even though she knew it wasn't practical. I used to get in trouble for acknowledging to customers that they could upgrade their MacBook's hard drives after the sale without voiding the warranty. I even once sent a link to Apple's support page with Do it yourself instructions; that did not go over well.
+1. Rebuttals are what they teach you :D

pukifloyd
Sep 2, 2010, 11:44 PM

I agree. You were a bit harsh on the poor lady. They deal with customers all day (and maybe get a treatment like this over half the time). Though I thank you for asking her about the headphones, you should have been a little polite :)

Take care.

rhythmac
Sep 3, 2010, 09:07 AM
I did get a little frustrated at her making asinine suggestions, but I did apologize too!

rep:I understand your concern. Do you have the earphones with a remote and mic from your 3rd generation iPod touch?

me:yes...when u buy a new car, do u take the tires from the old one and put it on the new?
i want two fully functioning units
is that too much to ask?
not trying to break ur shoes....i know u have nothing to do with it

@ swingerofbirch -

Thank you for enlightening me (and others reading this thread) to the "corporate chat" process....I didn't realize that went on...(no sarcasm) I just figured direct questions call for a direct response...
I'm not a farmer but I know when someone is tossing cow chips at me! ;)

mofunk
Sep 4, 2010, 07:41 PM
This just sucks. Not that I was going to use them but I would like that option because I could be in a place and possibly like some privacy or just not want to use the speaker. I was prepared to buy headphones with a mic, but this sucks.

I'm not surprised. Apple is famous for removing/changing out accessories.

weenerdog
Sep 4, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not surprised. Apple is famous for removing/changing out accessories.

Actually, Apple is famous for inventing the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and Mac computers...

What I'm saying is you people need to stop whining about such a minor issue. I cannot understand anyone who would opt to use the stock earphones as the sound quality is borderline unbearable. With a mic built into the touch and external volume buttons, what more do you people want! :confused:

CrazedMuggle
Sep 4, 2010, 08:12 PM
I'm going to miss being able to change the volume, skip songs, play/pause the music etc... It was SO much more convenient than having to pull the iPod out of my pocket every time I wanted to do something.

Old Blue
Sep 4, 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm going to miss being able to change the volume, skip songs, play/pause the music etc... It was SO much more convenient than having to pull the iPod out of my pocket every time I wanted to do something.

This makes me wonder if the old ear bud (i.e., 32g Touch 3g) controls work w/ the new Touch?

rhythmac
Sep 4, 2010, 08:40 PM
This makes me wonder if the old ear bud (i.e., 32g Touch 3g) controls work w/ the new Touch?

Yes...the old remote/mic earphones does control the new Touch 4G.

Old Blue
Sep 4, 2010, 08:41 PM
Yes...the old remote/mic earphones does control the new Touch 4G.

Kick ass :)

mofunk
Sep 6, 2010, 12:39 AM
Actually, Apple is famous for inventing the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and Mac computers...

What I'm saying is you people need to stop whining about such a minor issue. I cannot understand anyone who would opt to use the stock earphones as the sound quality is borderline unbearable. With a mic built into the touch and external volume buttons, what more do you people want! :confused:

Sorry I'm not whining. I'm just saying, they are famous for removing accessories. My point is when I purchased my first Mac it came with blank DVDr, a couple of USB and firewire cables. My 2nd Mac had firewire and USB Cables. My 3rd Mac just had a power cord which most likely will split in the 6-8 months. And I had to make 2 trips to the store to find firewire cables that fit. smh ANd if I'm not mistaken when I bought the 3rd Gen. iPod there was a firewire cable and USB cable in the box. Oh yeah and a real case. My 1st Gen. iPod Touch charges with firewire cable but it wasn't included in the box. Not whining just saying.

The reason I mention it is that I would like to see if a headphone/mic combo will work before I go out and buy one. Then also I would like a backup. Plus I'd like to use them to test out audio/video recordings.

If your iPod uses those features then why not put the accessory in the package that fits. Plus if Apple is going to continue adding Voice Over in iPods, why not put the mic headphones in. Its a no brainer.