PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari Recalls Italia

ipodtoucher
Sep 2, 2010, 11:31 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/02/autos/ferrari_recall/index.htm?hpt=T2

I'd be pissed if I bought a $230,000us car and it caught fire haha pretty scary :p

iShater
Sep 2, 2010, 11:35 AM
I did not know that a heat shield could ignite! :eek:

I'm taking mine back to the dealership today after work. :mad:

never mind, I forgot I don't own one. :p

Nugget
Sep 2, 2010, 11:37 AM
Eh, it happens. There's no amount of money you can spend on a product and reasonably expect it to be problem-free. All cars have issues and design flaws -- even cars that cost a quarter of a million dollars. Especially first year, new design cars like the 458.

What's important is that the manufacturer figures it out when problems become apparent and takes care of the owners. Sounds like Ferrari have reacted as quickly as can be expected with a fix and I'm sure that those owners who have been unlucky will be compensated.

heehee
Sep 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
Most owners doesn't drive their Ferrari, I dont think it matters much. :p

My boss owns a Ferrari, I've see him drive it once, but then, he also owns 7 other cars.

carlgo
Sep 2, 2010, 04:37 PM
I would expect my Ferrari to have 12 cylinders, engine up front, all as God intended.

iJohnHenry
Sep 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
I would expect my Ferrari to have 12 cylinders, engine up front, all as God intended.

Then get a Vette, front engine, rear drive.

Far cheaper.

ryan
Sep 2, 2010, 05:15 PM

Far cheaper.

That's true, but having been fortunate enough to get behind the wheel of 430 I can tell you that the sound a Ferrari V8 makes while going full tilt is worth every penny above what you'd pay for a Vette. :D

iJohnHenry
Sep 2, 2010, 05:31 PM
That's true, but having been fortunate enough to get behind the wheel of 430 I can tell you that the sound a Ferrari V8 makes while going full tilt is worth every penny above what you'd pay for a Vette. :D

No doubt, but he was on about front engine/rear drive, but you and I know that mid-engine is the way to go for weight distribution. ;)

Nugget
Sep 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
No doubt, but he was on about front engine/rear drive, but you and I know that mid-engine is the way to go for weight distribution. ;)

Pfft. Flat six aft of the rear axle or GTFO. ;)

iJohnHenry
Sep 2, 2010, 05:46 PM
Pfft. Flat six aft of the rear axle or GTFO. ;)

Porsche pushers suck, well, you know. :p

kernkraft
Sep 2, 2010, 05:53 PM

God doesn't build cars. But Ferraris with 12 cylinders should have their engine in the middle.

Lord Blackadder
Sep 5, 2010, 03:01 PM
Despite the recall, I'd still love to own a 458. Beeee-yootiful car.

At least it doesn't accelerate wildly until you hit something.

takao
Sep 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
God doesn't build cars. But Ferraris with 12 cylinders should have their engine in the middle.

+1

carlgo
Sep 6, 2010, 10:53 AM

Far cheaper.

Corvettes are the best bargain, but the extra few hundred thousand does get you more....!

Queso
Sep 6, 2010, 10:58 AM
I knew there was a valid reason I don't own one :cool:

obeygiant
Sep 6, 2010, 11:16 AM
Despite the recall, I'd still love to own a 458. Beeee-yootiful car.

http://consumerist.com/ferrari_458_italia.jpg

yes.

Sun Baked
Sep 6, 2010, 11:36 AM
The exhaust headers on these cars glow cherry red when pushed.

Stick a piece of metal onto a plastic fender liner and heat it with glowing exhaust, and it isn't unexpected that the glue would melt and allow the heatshield to turn into a heatpipe and conduct enough heat into plastic to reach ignition.

Edit: And yes I'm still waiting to see the graphic on the problem, so a SWAG with emphasis on every other letter.

carlgo
Sep 6, 2010, 12:34 PM

Well, according to Hawkings Ferraris were created spontaneously, without divine inspiration. Either way, I'll take one.

I just don't fit in mid-engined cars, can't see out of them either. I like a certain amount of practicality and reasonable maintenance. People cut corners when working on inaccessible things, no matter what you pay them.

Front engine designs are old money, mid-engined ones found money. I don't have either, so if I got some at this point it would be found money, but I would still buy the front engine.

That is why Ferrari builds both I would guess.

Carlanga
Sep 8, 2010, 12:38 AM
this is why I prefer to drive a Lambo....

....in my dreams:rolleyes:

Funkatronic
Sep 8, 2010, 01:17 AM
I suspect James May might be slightly pleased.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 8, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'd settle for a Maybach...

I had the Mercedes SUV and it was a piece of s-h-i-t... The service costs were ridiculous. It needed a new engine within the first 20,000 miles! The inside panels started falling off. by the time it hit 50,000 miles the transmission blew up. I sold it for 1,000 to the mechanic that kept fixing it.

So much for 'Mercedes Quality'...

I drive a Prius now and love it. Sure it could accelerate faster but at 47MPG, it beats the old Benz with a tire iron. The best I got out of the Benz was 16MPG (or infinite when it was being flat beaded into the dealer for yet another bout of service).

There is sexy and there is practical. Sure Jennifer Aniston is sexy, but is she practical? I doubt it...

Who am I kidding. I'll never own a Ferrari anyway. I did get to sit in one of the Magnum PI Ferrari's. How he got into them is beyond me...

Still, that is a very expensive car-b-que... :eek:

RedReplicant
Sep 9, 2010, 05:14 AM
this is why I prefer to drive a Lambo....

....in my dreams:rolleyes:

Lamborghini also has had issues with fires. In fact, a lot of mid engined supercars have.... hmmm........ ;) Think Audi R8, for starters.

Supa_Fly
Sep 9, 2010, 12:06 PM
I suspect James May might be slightly pleased.

Why is that? I thought Jamiroquai lead singer preferred Lambo's ??
Cosmic Girl that 458 Italia is.

I'd LOVE to own this Ferrari over ever other - still have a love thing for that 328 GTS Magnum PI vehicle.