PDA

View Full Version : Use iPod Touch 4 as a phone?

applekiwipeach
Sep 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
I just read about the new release of iPod Touch 4. It seems to have a built-in mic. So, basically I can download Skype on it and use it as a phone without the big phone bill from carriers such as AT&T? Sounds too good to be true! Am I missing something?

miles01110
Sep 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
Sure, as long as you have WiFi access.

ColinEC
Sep 2, 2010, 02:03 PM
It seems highly likely you'll be able to do just that. However, you'll still have to pay for Skype credits and conect to a wireless network since the new iPod touch does not have 3G.

SidBala
Sep 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
If it the iPod Touch 4 becomes really popular, then why not?

If everyone had an iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 with skype, then sure. I personally would like to see the phone companies die.

Batt
Sep 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
Whistle. Listen to a 15-second ad before it dials and it's all free.

kepner
Sep 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
Am I missing something?

A 3G connection and GPS.

I guess if you don't mind only being able to call over WiFi, it's a good deal. Get a Google Voice account, and you get free texting. Add in a SIP provider like Gizmo5 or SIPGate, and you can likely make all of your calls for free through Google Voice.

applekiwipeach
Sep 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
All right, I see. The Skype monthly bill is just less than $3 for unlimited US&Canada minutes, but yes, the reliance on wireless network is going to make it less useful as a phone... I didn't think it made sense to be able to save that much phone bill. Now I understand it's really too good to be true... =)

applekiwipeach
Sep 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
If it the iPod Touch 4 becomes really popular, then why not?

If everyone had an iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 with skype, then sure. I personally would like to see the phone companies die.

One can be assigned phone number and make&receive phone calls via Skype to and from a regular phone number. It has a per minute rate, as well as a flat rate of ONLY $2.99 unlimited US & Canada. SMS is per msg though. But yeah, as the others pointed out, it's over wireless only... so that's not really gonna work for me... first thought I was able to cut $100 per month on phone bill. lol...

Plutonius
Sep 2, 2010, 02:21 PM
I just read about the new release of iPod Touch 4. It seems to have a built-in mic. So, basically I can download Skype on it and use it as a phone without the big phone bill from carriers such as AT&T? Sounds too good to be true! Am I missing something?

Nothing new.

The last gen had a mic in the earbuds so people with the last gen skyped.

Look into getting Mifi if you really want to turn it into a phone.

bruceleroy
Sep 2, 2010, 02:25 PM
Depends on were u live and the availibilty of 4g service...but an easy solution would be to get an ispot from clear for 25 dollars a month...get an online number from skype 12 dollars for 3 months ...and then the 2.99 a month unlimited calling plan and your set

tablo13
Sep 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
Gmail doesn't have phone calls for mobile, am I right? If they have it, then free calls to anywhere in US and Canada in 2010! :D

kepner
Sep 2, 2010, 05:43 PM
Gmail doesn't have phone calls for mobile, am I right?

You can make free Google Voice calls through a SIP provider like Gizmo5 or SIPGate, then install a SIP client like Acrobits on your iPod. It's a pain in the ass, but it's free and it works (most of the time).

ViViDboarder
Sep 3, 2010, 09:39 AM
Yea, I have a Gizmo5 account with Google Voice. The new iPod Touch looks pretty nice right now. :D

I just wish it had GPS. :( If so I could ditch my iPhone 3G (I use it to track my runs, my EVO 4G is my phone now).

B.A.T
Sep 3, 2010, 10:09 AM
The ispot is great in theory but I've had problems with mine over the past month. My problem is not with the connectivity or the speed that all works great. Every once in a while it kicks me out of their system and when I surf the internet it forces me to their site that says the ispot only supports apple products. The only way to fix it is to use my laptop at work (which means I have to come in at night or on the weekend) and change settings on their webpage. It will not work from my ipod.

When it works it works great. I have an 8 gb ipod so maybe the 3rd generation ipods work better?

bruceleroy
Sep 3, 2010, 10:12 AM
try updating the firmware on the ipsot and doing a hard reset that fixed the problem on my girlfriend's ipsot..