Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Question for site operators -- why does this site run ads for "iPads for $23.74?" That has to be some sort of fraud; I would think the site would have at least some sort of standards for who it accepts advertising money from.

Usernames Suck

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Question for site operators -- why does this site run ads for "iPads for $23.74?" That has to be some sort of fraud; I would think the site would have at least some sort of standards for who it accepts advertising money from.

I think the ads are by google, so it's not macrumors directly saying, "hey let's advertise this fraud on our website," it's google saying that.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I think the ads are by google, so it's not macrumors directly saying, "hey let's advertise this fraud on our website," it's google saying that.

And I suppose that means if I'm logged into Google, that means Google thinks I'm one of the gullible people they should be directing these types of ads to. Hell.

Usernames Suck

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
And I suppose that means if I'm logged into Google, that means Google think's I'm one of the gullible people they should be directing these types of ads to. Hell.

Not necessarily. Google is putting out these ads because they're reaching into their databases for keywords used in the site. It uses those keywords to find ads somewhat related to the website. That's why you have the fake auctions for ipads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Not necessarily. Google is putting out these ads because they're reaching into their databases for keywords used in the site. It uses those keywords to find ads somewhat related to the website. That's why you have the fake auctions for ipads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know why the ad service can't weed out inappropriate ads when they are sometimes obvious at a glance.

In any case, as it explains in the FAQ, MacRumors can ask to have particular ads removed if you provide a screenshot of the ad and the URL it links to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.