PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Earl

todd2000
Sep 2, 2010, 05:52 PM
Are there any members in the Outer Banks, NC area? Looks like you guys are going to get hit pretty hard in a few hours. Im far enough inland in VA, that we should be fine. Being the Weather geek that I am, Im tracking the storm all night. I hope everyone is prepared, and or evacuated. Stay safe everyone.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2010/september/earl-threat-090210-595x402.jpg

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath07_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

GoCubsGo
Sep 2, 2010, 05:57 PM
I only know someone with a beach house on Ocracoke Island ... I've noticed that it was 1080 miles from me two nights ago, this morning it was less than 500 miles and since this morning it's now at 300 miles from me. This is the first time I've noticed one being this close and this is really my first hurricane (if it hits Raleigh). :(
Based on the first link below it looks like it is losing momentum in a way. I could be wrong.

Here is the tracker I am using most often:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ybenjamin/detail?entry_id=71418
And the other one I look at:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/01/tropical.weather/?hpt=T1

djellison
Sep 2, 2010, 07:08 PM
Go to http://climate.nasa.gov/Eyes/eyes.html and hit 'CloudSat' - you can see an over the top, and a transect view of Earl as of a day or two ago

(it's a plug, but it's a subtle plug... I work in the group that made 'Eyes on the Earth' )

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/ - up to date geostationary views

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=USA8 - daily stunning high res imagery

I hope these are the only ways people get to enjoy Earl. Stay safe over there, mother nature doesn't tend to take prisoners.

aristobrat
Sep 2, 2010, 07:17 PM
Are there any members in the Outer Banks, NC area?
I'm about 60 miles north, and a weather geek too, so this kind of stuff makes me feel like a 12-year old on Christmas Eve!

The only effect of Earl I'm sure to feel is soreness from having to put the doors back on my Wrangler. I normally don't mind driving door-less in the rain (99% of it blows around and you don't get normally get wet), but with gusts into the 50MPH range during tomorrow commute, yeah ... not so much. :)

maflynn
Sep 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
I live near Boston so its a crap shoot right now on how this is going to play out.

I'm not terribly worried, I don't think we're going to get slammed but you never know. Since I live in a town right next to boston that's on the water, flooding is a concern.

Counterfit
Sep 2, 2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think Boston will be hit as hard as here in Providence, and Providence won't be hit as hard as the cape and islands. Narragansett Bay is forecast to have a 1-3 foot surge, which isn't really significant. Heck, I might go down to The Wall (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ocean+Rd&daddr=Ocean+Rd&hl=en&geocode=Fc0SeAIdxqu9-w%3BFbszeAId8aa9-w&mra=prev&sll=41.431691,-71.454016&sspn=0.004826,0.010246&ie=UTF8&ll=41.428103,-71.45201&spn=0.009653,0.020492&t=h&z=16) and check out the surf.

Actually, I'll probably be playing video games after class.

MacNut
Sep 2, 2010, 09:57 PM
The storm is weakening but getting larger, so the swath of the wind path is increasing.

TheShinyMac
Sep 2, 2010, 10:08 PM
Remember guys water temps near new england have been quite warm so

Counterfit
Sep 2, 2010, 10:50 PM
Ugh, no kidding. Hot and humid today, even after 6pm. **** you Gulf Stream!

snberk103
Sep 3, 2010, 10:03 AM
No where near the East Coast, but I've got relatives in NYC, and on the Bay of Fundy (Welcome Back to School, Tessa!), and a friend in Virginia Beach.

The tracker I use is the official US government one at NOAA. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) They actually look at and incorporate some of the other forecaster's projected tracks into their work and discussions. This site also has a whack of statistics (like how likely to have winds in excess of X mph in 12/24/36 hours, storm surge probabilities, etc etc.

They definitely don't use the "straight line" method of projecting a hurricane's path (as some bloggers do). That is very old fashioned - from the 1970's when the 24 hour projected track had a margin of error of 700+ miles. Now the 24 hour forecast for the track is about 130 miles margin of error.

The NOAA site also tracks Tropical Depressions and other areas that might become hurricanes.... you can see what might be making the news next week.

NT1440
Sep 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
No offense to anyone in the path, but so far it seems this thing is just going to be a fizzle yet it has been the main story in the news for days now.

Meanwhile, up to ten million children are predicted to die in Pakistan as a result of the flooding that has left millions homeless, yet barely a peep about the ongoing tragedy.

What happened to this country, and our sense of duty and journalism? :confused:

MacNut
Sep 3, 2010, 10:15 AM
No offense to anyone in the path, but so far it seems this thing is just going to be a fizzle yet it has been the main story in the news for days now.

Meanwhile, up to ten million children are predicted to die in Pakistan as a result of the flooding that has left millions homeless, yet barely a peep about the ongoing tragedy.

What happened to this country, and our sense of duty and journalism? :confused:You just answered your own question, Earl is hitting this country.

NT1440
Sep 3, 2010, 10:16 AM
You just answered your own question, Earl is hitting this country.

And doing next to nothing.

MacNut
Sep 3, 2010, 10:17 AM
And doing next to nothing.Are you feeling its effects where you live?

geekgirl
Sep 3, 2010, 10:20 AM
And doing next to nothing.

It's not going to feel like nothing to those effected.

Sep 3, 2010, 10:20 AM
You just answered your own question, Earl is hitting this country.

Exactly, people tend to care more about the area they live in.

MacNut
Sep 3, 2010, 10:22 AM
It is sad what is happening in Pakistan, but my house is not in danger there. I am more worried about what this storm will do here.

NT1440
Sep 3, 2010, 10:28 AM
Are you feeling its effects where you live?

My family is currently in CT. It's a bit breezy.

I know it has done damage to peoples property, but it seems this storm has been more than played up. I understood the concern when it was a category 4 bearing down, but that time has come and gone.

snberk103
Sep 3, 2010, 10:30 AM
Just putting Pakistan aside for a moment....

Earl is skirting the US - and is projected to squarely strike another country. Although I suppose it might just magically disappear as it passes Maine, eh?

MacNut
Sep 3, 2010, 10:30 AM
My family is currently in CT. It's a bit breezy.

I know it has done damage to peoples property, but it seems this storm has been more than played up. I understood the concern when it was a category 4 bearing down, but that time has come and gone.So they should just stop reporting on it and hope for the best? I agree that the news networks have no business reporting on hurricanes, I only follow the weather channel because the others have no clue what they are talking about.

aristobrat
Sep 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
I know it has done damage to peoples property, but it seems this storm has been more than played up. I understood the concern when it was a category 4 bearing down, but that time has come and gone.
Until yesterday afternoon, it was a category 4 storm. Last night was when it started whalloping North Carolina. Early this morning is when it started following its forecast NE path out to sea.

It's not the lead story on any of the major news sites I've visited.

That news cycle isn't fast enough for you? Find a news source that more suites your taste.

maflynn
Sep 3, 2010, 10:35 AM
looks like Boston will be spared to a great extent. I have to say that I'm pretty relieved.

Of course now what do I do with the 100 gallons of milk, and 50 dozen eggs I just bought :eek:

:p

Sep 3, 2010, 10:36 AM
Between CNN, NYTimes and BBC News, the BBC was the only carrying anything on Pakistan (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11177686) and it wasn't even related to the flooding.*

As of 11:35am.

MacNut
Sep 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
looks like Boston will be spared to a great extent. I have to say that I'm pretty relieved.

Of course now what do I do with the 100 gallons of milk, and 50 dozen eggs I just bought :eek:

:pGet your priorities straight, you buy beer in these storm events. Milk will spoil if the power goes out.:D

snberk103
Sep 3, 2010, 10:51 AM
Get your priorities straight, you buy beer in these storm events. Milk will spoil if the power goes out.:D

Warm Beer?!?! what are you - british? You want a case of good single malt scotch, or bourbon, in a situation like this. In a wooden crate so you can drag it with you from room to room. :D:D

MacNut
Sep 3, 2010, 10:54 AM
Warm Beer?!?! what are you - british? You want a case of good single malt scotch, or bourbon, in a situation like this. In a wooden crate so you can drag it with you from room to room. :D:DThats why you load up the coolers with ice.

snberk103
Sep 3, 2010, 11:01 AM
Thats why you load up the coolers with ice.

OK, that works. You can have your beer in the ice, and I'll scoop the occasional bit out to put into my Scotch. Sounds like a party, eh? :)

Unfortunately, where I live we are prone to earthquakes, so no advance warning to stock up on ice. That reminds me.... gotta go secure the wine storage in the basement so we have some left to drink as we wait to reconnect to the rest of the world.

Counterfit
Sep 3, 2010, 12:29 PM
Just putting Pakistan aside for a moment....

Earl is skirting the US - and is projected to squarely strike another country. Although I suppose it might just magically disappear as it passes Maine, eh?
It'll be a Tropical Storm at worst by the time it gets to Canukia. It might not even be that strong when it

:p

Wait. You live in New England, and you didn't buy bread with that milk? For shame. :(

aristobrat
Sep 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
Wait. You live in New England, and you didn't buy bread with that milk? For shame. :(
Atkins diet. :D

iJohnHenry
Sep 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
Earl is skirting the US - and is projected to squarely strike another country.

Can we get Greenland to sub fur us, just this once?? :(

Two words. Soup kitchen. :D