PDA

View Full Version : iTunes... How many songs in your library... how many Purchased from iTunes?

alywa
Dec 10, 2004, 06:14 PM
You know, iTunes is sneaky.

I love the program, I use my iPod daily, I'm obsessive about updating my album art. My library is impeccably organized.

Most of my collection is ripped from my own CDs. I have a few old downloaded songs (maybe 20 total). The rest are iTunes purchases, which I thought were vere few.

My totals:

3991 songs (19.2 GB)

iTunes Purchases:

183 songs

I tend to be an album purchaser, so I don't think I've spent $183 dollars. More likely $125-150. Still, this is a sizeable chunk of change over only 6 months or so. It's just so easy to buy an new album!!!

How about you? Are you surprised at the gowing number of iTunes purchases you have?

-alywa

vampirepiggy
Dec 10, 2004, 06:26 PM
1,709 songs total, 7.2 days.

Only 20 (1.2 hours) of them were purchased from iTunes. :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo
Dec 10, 2004, 07:06 PM
1074 songs, 4.05 GB. 2.7 days or 2:18:05:25 depending on what you have it set it. (Click to change...)

Also I've bought 106 songs, but some are the free downloads and some were that Pepsi thing. Actually, most are. :) I'm cheap like that...

rice_web
Dec 10, 2004, 07:47 PM
6809 songs
1156 from iTunes

I rock. And I'm broke, too. :D

jtgotsjets
Dec 10, 2004, 09:21 PM
3291 Songs

83 purchased songs.
But the vast majority of those are Free songs. I think I've spent maybe 17 dollars in the iTunes store.

realityisterror
Dec 10, 2004, 09:36 PM
370 songs, 1 day, 1.62GB total
37 songs, 2.4 hours, 153.3MB bought

not too shabby... i can't afford the music after buying the 'pod. :P

reality

candan9019
Dec 10, 2004, 10:13 PM
671 songs, 1.9 days, 2.87GB
purchased 57 would probably be more but after moving to Canada couldn't buy for a while.

Once I have money I'll have to make up for the year I spent without iTMS. And then I'll need a new ipod to fit it all and well it's an endless cycle. Them people at Apple are smart. :)

timnosenzo
Dec 10, 2004, 10:27 PM
2868 Songs, 10.4 Days, 14.84GB

From iTMS: 529 Songs, 2.2 Days, 2.24 GB

I don't think (hope) I've spent quite $500.00, but it's still more than I want to think about. :p

I should add, there's probably less than 1% that I haven't paid for. The vast majority came from ripping my own CD's.

wPod
Dec 10, 2004, 10:32 PM
2267 songs

63 songs purchased

1106 songs ripped from CDs i own

do the math to see how many came from the 'other' catagory.

Phat_Pat
Dec 11, 2004, 12:10 AM
1767 4.5 days, 7.62 GB

138 Purchased.... lots of cds

Maxicek
Dec 11, 2004, 03:42 AM
3414 songs total.
46 from iTunes (1.34%)
3318 ripped from my CD collection (97.2%)
50 others (1.46%)

I tend to buy only individual tracks on iTunes. For a similar cost to an iTunes album, I can buy the physical CD on Amazon.co.uk, with none of the restrictions on encoding quality, number of burns etc.

When the the tracks are available on iTunes I will replace my "others." ;)

dejo
Dec 11, 2004, 03:54 AM
13,322 songs (52.05 GB) total.

564 purchased via iTMS.

robbieduncan
Dec 11, 2004, 03:55 AM
5980 tracks
37 "purchased" from iTunes (I think 20 of the 37 were free)
103 iTrip tuning "songs"

Almost all ripped from CDs I own. A very small number (less than 1%) from other sources.

Littleodie914
Dec 11, 2004, 07:51 AM
I've got...

1061 songs excluding the iTrip stations

Purchased Music playlist has 53 songs, but it should actually have 120-130, 'cuz I backed-up the songs and wiped my HD... Saved the songs, but they were erased from that playlist

Probably.... 750-800 from CD's

I'm a high school student who has to pay for gas and lunch and everything else... So yea, I pirate my share :rolleyes:

wordmunger
Dec 11, 2004, 08:32 AM
I've got 2227 songs, 101 purchased from iTMS, the rest ripped from 20 years' worth of CDs. I've got about half my CDs ripped, so it looks like I buy about 200 songs a year, so I'd say that currently I buy about half my music on CD and half from iTMS.

My son, who's 13, has only been buying music for a couple years, so ALL his music (the music he still listens to -- about 80 songs) comes from the iTMS.

2A Batterie
Dec 11, 2004, 08:32 AM
4208 Songs (54 from ITMS, the rest ripped from my CD's), 12.6 days, 78gb... I rip all of my CD's using Apple lossless. I hate the sound quality of MP3 and AAC, especially since I use audiophile speakers.
As for this quote,

I'm a high school student who has to pay for gas and lunch and everything else... So yea, I pirate my share :rolleyes:
That does not make it acceptable. What if you saw a pair of jeans you liked in the store and just took them, and then gave that explaination when you got caught? Artists aren't the only ones who get ripped off when you steal music; everyone in the music industry, from composers to producers to studio musicians to instrument manufacturers, gets ripped off. It doesn't matter if you are stealing from a huge faceless organization or an indie label because the bottom line is that you are stealing. Even if you are stealing from the multi-billion media conglomerates, you are still clearing the way for others to steal from artists who really need the support from selling their music.

solaris
Dec 11, 2004, 08:34 AM
1449 songs, 5:15:46:22 total time, 29.05 GB

0 songs bought from iTMS, since it has not opened in Norway. :(

wordmunger
Dec 11, 2004, 08:48 AM
That does not make it acceptable. What if you saw a pair of jeans you liked in the store and just took them, and then gave that explaination when you got caught? Artists aren't the only ones who get ripped off when you steal music; everyone in the music industry, from composers to producers to studio musicians to instrument manufacturers, gets ripped off. It doesn't matter if you are stealing from a huge faceless organization or an indie label because the bottom line is that you are stealing. Even if you are stealing from the multi-billion media conglomerates, you are still clearing the way for others to steal from artists who really need the support from selling their music.

I'm not saying it's right to copy music, but it's not the same thing as stealing. Kids have been copying music ever since the tape recorder was invented. They always knew it was wrong, but it's only recently that the RIAA has started treating its fan base as criminals.

I think the music industry could do a lot better if it introduced some cachet in getting the real, authorized music, rather than saying you're a scumbag if you want to download to the music they produce. The same way a Gucci handbag is more impressive than a knock-off, they could do that with CDs, or some value-added material to online song purchases.

Sabbath
Dec 11, 2004, 09:39 AM
I like to have my CDs and all the art etc that goes with them in physical form, it just gives me more freedom, with bit rates etc. So I haven't really bought much from iTMS, I would love to buy everything on vinyl (for the sound and packaging) and CD (for using on my iPod and PB and again greater freefom over iTMS songs) if I could afford it. But CD id the better compromise as I can only have one format.

I have 4526 songs total, only 31 of which are from iTMS. I do have a very few rare and live tracks downloaded, I dont feel too bad about that as I would buy them if I could. For bands I'm willing to dig around for such material from I generally own their whole back catalogue and go to their gigs. Which I believe give them and not the record labels a lot more money that the CDS etc.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 11, 2004, 09:58 AM
Let's see...
(looks at library)

6,197 songs
54.95 GB
8:23:21:36 (8.9 days)
0 from iTMS
0 ripped from CD
6,196 from video games (99.98%)
1 from other source (non-P2P, non-CD, non-music store) (0.02%)

munkle
Dec 11, 2004, 10:04 AM
I was wondering how long this thread was going to turn into a discussion about piracy!

I've got 3585 songs in my iTunes library and a big fat zero from the iTunes Music Store. I'm a CD guy myself and dread to think how much I've spent over the years!

haiggy
Dec 11, 2004, 10:18 AM
2812 songs, 7.5 days, 11.37 GB

How come some of you with like 6k songs takes up 60GB?! :eek: Super high encoding or what?

unispherephoto
Dec 11, 2004, 10:28 AM
4208 Songs (54 from ITMS, the rest ripped from my CD's), 12.6 days, 78gb... I rip all of my CD's using Apple lossless. I hate the sound quality of MP3 and AAC, especially since I use audiophile speakers.
As for this quote,

Stealing and sharing are in no way the same thing. To equate trading a song or album with stealing a pair of pants is both inaccurate and unfair. Would you hesitate to accept a burned mix cd from a friend? As someone else mentioned, it is only recently that the RIAA has decided to make music sharing an issue - yet its been happening for more than 20 years. Maybe record companies should start making us want to buy cds by lowering the outrageous prices and paying their artists more than 1% of sales.

iLikeMyiMac
Dec 11, 2004, 10:56 AM
Library: 2426 songs 6.7 days, 9.89 GB
iTMS: 505 songs, 1.3 days, 1.96 GB

Littleodie914
Dec 11, 2004, 10:57 AM
Stealing and sharing are in no way the same thing. To equate trading a song or album with stealing a pair of pants is both inaccurate and unfair. Would you hesitate to accept a burned mix cd from a friend? As someone else mentioned, it is only recently that the RIAA has decided to make music sharing an issue - yet its been happening for more than 20 years. Maybe record companies should start making us want to buy cds by lowering the outrageous prices and paying their artists more than 1% of sales.I appreciate the defense :)

I should also add that I don't think stealing music is right. All I meant by what I said is that if I had the money to buy the CD's, I would purchase them in the store or on iTMS, as I'd much rather do that than download them.

Macophile
Dec 11, 2004, 11:03 AM
4111 files in the library, although that includes some audiobooks and radio programs, so they aren't all songs. 23.2 days, 25.85GB.

Of that, 361 came from iTMS, 287 of which are music.

dontmatter
Dec 11, 2004, 12:06 PM
9538 songs
80 itunes

But, it's quite misleading, b/c I think I had about 100 songs from itms, and then managed to loose my entire itunes library, including those songs. So, I got them again, but didn't bother with legal forms of doing so, as I had already paid for them.

Also, most are in album form, so I paid less. Most of all was the Magnetic Fields "I thought you were my boyfriend" EP which for the longest time had three songs listed at 99 cents each, or the whole album for 49 cents. Needless to say, I only wanted one song, but...

AmigoMac
Dec 11, 2004, 12:08 PM
4532- Today I deleted some oldies I don't listen anymore...

57 from iTMS

wrldwzrd89
Dec 11, 2004, 01:02 PM
2812 songs, 7.5 days, 11.37 GB

How come some of you with like 6k songs takes up 60GB?! :eek: Super high encoding or what?
A large part of my collection is encoded in Apple Lossless format, hence the large size.

Loge
Dec 11, 2004, 01:20 PM
2796 songs, 255 purchased from iTMS. The rest were copied from my CDs except for a few which are me playing piano.

2A Batterie
Dec 11, 2004, 01:22 PM
Stealing and sharing are in no way the same thing. To equate trading a song or album with stealing a pair of pants is both inaccurate and unfair. Would you hesitate to accept a burned mix cd from a friend? As someone else mentioned, it is only recently that the RIAA has decided to make music sharing an issue - yet its been happening for more than 20 years. Maybe record companies should start making us want to buy cds by lowering the outrageous prices and paying their artists more than 1% of sales.
If your friend bought a movie ticket, could you share it with him? It is accurate to say that trading music with others is stealing, which is why P2P users are being charged. If you like an artist, you should go out and support them by buying the CD. When you just rip your friend's copy of it you are hurting that artist.
Also, what is your source for record companies paying the artist 1%? I'm not discounting or crediting that number, but I'm just curious. Isn't the standard publishing rate something like 8.76 cents per song per album? What about mechanicals too? How does the money get split up among the intellectual property created within the band? What about the copyright of the actual recording?
Your quote about how record companies should start making us want to buy cds ... by paying their artists more may be conceived as contradictory. Maybe you meant something else and I am misinterpreting, but it seems like you are concerned with the welfare of the artist and wish not to screw them over like some record companies do. However, wouldn't not paying for the artist's record and instead ripping it from a friend hurt that artist?

mashinhead
Dec 11, 2004, 01:27 PM
7061 and counting, maybe 100 from itunes

dotnina
Dec 11, 2004, 01:32 PM
I have 278 MB / 17 hours / 24 songs purchased from iTunes. The majority of the purchases were the free political speeches available on iTunes a while back (probably still available).

Only 8 iTunes purchases are actually songs, of which 3 are rock, 2 are electronic, 2 are pop, and 1 is hip hop. :)

palusami
Dec 11, 2004, 09:34 PM
4,600 songs total. about 100 or more from itunes, the rest from various other places.

solaris
Dec 12, 2004, 12:27 AM
Its called Apple Lossless! ;)

yoda13
Dec 12, 2004, 12:47 AM
1042 songs, 267 from ITMS :)

D0ct0rteeth
Dec 12, 2004, 01:00 AM
25949 songs..

about 100 or so from iTunes

- Doc

unispherephoto
Dec 12, 2004, 01:05 AM
If your friend bought a movie ticket, could you share it with him? It is accurate to say that trading music with others is stealing, which is why P2P users are being charged. If you like an artist, you should go out and support them by buying the CD. When you just rip your friend's copy of it you are hurting that artist.
Also, what is your source for record companies paying the artist 1%? I'm not discounting or crediting that number, but I'm just curious. Isn't the standard publishing rate something like 8.76 cents per song per album? What about mechanicals too? How does the money get split up among the intellectual property created within the band? What about the copyright of the actual recording?
Your quote about how record companies should start making us want to buy cds ... by paying their artists more may be conceived as contradictory. Maybe you meant something else and I am misinterpreting, but it seems like you are concerned with the welfare of the artist and wish not to screw them over like some record companies do. However, wouldn't not paying for the artist's record and instead ripping it from a friend hurt that artist?

So 1% was an arbitrary figure, but if 8.76 cents is right, that still only equals about 6% per album. My argument is not that the artists do not deserve or need these earnings - of course they do. But it seems to me that the number of people sharing music will not significantly reduce record sales; record companies hurt the artists more by charging so much for such an inexpensive product and making an unfairly disproportionate profit. I purchase music when i know i am supporting the artist directly, whether from an independent label or straight from the artist.

FelixDerKater
Dec 12, 2004, 02:13 AM
I have bought over 300 songs. It is just too easy to click the Buy button.

Rocksaurus
Dec 12, 2004, 02:19 AM
8 songs purchased on iTunes
1652 total songs in library

...Call me old fashioned

imac9556
Dec 12, 2004, 02:23 AM
Stats:

Purchased: 335 Songs, 1.29GB, 21.6hrs
Library: 950 Songs, 4.16GB, 1.8 days :eek:

jacg
Dec 12, 2004, 03:15 AM
2620 in library. 295 from iTMS uk.

Occasionally I get introduced to something I've not heard before (via a 'recommendation' or iMix) but I think I've basically got everything from the back catalogue that I want. I check the 'just added' list each Tuesday and browse certain genres to look for new stuff. My purchase rate has dropped accordingly, but I'm still a big fan and will purchase all my music at iTMS if it's available.

Diatribe
Dec 12, 2004, 06:42 AM
6051 songs
42 GB
all CD rips at 224k AAC
all in Lossless on my ext. HD too (I'm waiting for the time that I can go Lossless only... c'mon bring out that 200GB iPod :D )

PickledSquirrel
Dec 12, 2004, 06:42 AM
900-something songs in library, none from ITMS. I live in a developing country called Denmark :rolleyes:

-squirrel

neilrobinson
Dec 12, 2004, 07:37 AM
until iTunes Australia.... **crosses fingers and toes and wishes**

i have 13797 songs, 44 days 71.52GB, about 2 days i suppose would be audio books.

all from cd's i own. :cool:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Dec 12, 2004, 07:39 AM
7944 songs, 20:16:21:01 total time, 30.41 GB. I've got to get a bigger HD for my iBook very soon...

0 from iTMS, as it's not avaliable in Norway. That is no problem, though, as long as I can go in to any public library and borrow any CD I want, and legally rip/copy it. Haven't used "the other option" in ages and actually replaced most of those (limited) earlier acquisitions... :cool: :D

Ripping all new (and re-ripping my entire CD collecion) in aac@128. Excellent sound/space-ratio. It beats the socks of the quality of mixed tapes I used to make from my LP's back in the 80's... ;)

Related question: Anybody ripped Metallica "...And Justice For All"? At what bitrate does that album actually sound good, short of lossless? I've tried mp3 and aac at different rates and it sounds like s*it, nomatter what (unless I play it straight from the CD, of course)... :(

timnosenzo
Dec 12, 2004, 07:40 AM
I'm really surprised how little people buy from iTMS.

alywa
Dec 12, 2004, 09:02 AM
The figures look like what I expected. People with large collections have relatively fewer ITMS purchases, while those with smaller collections tend to have a larger percentage of ITMS purchases.

I should have included the question of age. I have a feeling the younger demographics (thus building music collections / developing tastes) may have a larger percentage of ITMS, while the older folks (more time to collect CDs, more decided musical tastes) probably purchase new music less often, and are more inclined to purchase by CD.

I'm 31. I've been purchasing CDs since 1987. Began burning CDs (whole albums) in 1998 (mostly from friends / library). I never stored music on my computer until I got my mac. Now, basically all of my collection is in my iTunes library. Plus, it is all synced to my iPod for mobile and home listening.

However, since I got my mac in March, 2004 I haven't purchased a CD. While my purchases are rare (1-2 albums / month), they have all been from ITMS. I just think the convenience wins for me. I can't tell a difference between 128kbs AAC, 160kbs MP3 or the standard CDs I own. I guess my ear / equipment isn't descirminating enough.

I back up every purchase from ITMS on CD-R... these I use in the car. They sound good to me.

Anyway, enough rambling. I think Apple has done an amazing job of making digital music a common / well understood experience for millions. They have also effectively locked in millions of potential purchasers with the iPod, and millions more with the free iTunes software. IMHO history will show this as one of the most brilliant marketing strategies of all time. Kudos to them.

-alywa

timnosenzo
Dec 12, 2004, 09:28 AM
However, since I got my mac in March, 2004 I haven't purchased a CD. While my purchases are rare (1-2 albums / month), they have all been from ITMS. I just think the convenience wins for me. I can't tell a difference between 128kbs AAC, 160kbs MP3 or the standard CDs I own. I guess my ear / equipment isn't descirminating enough.
I have to say, convenience (and usually lower price) wins most times for me too. Usually, the only time I'll buy the CD is if it's from a band that I REALLY love. If it's just a album I'd like to have, the convenience of iTMS rules.

wordmunger
Dec 12, 2004, 09:57 AM
Sneaking into the movies isn't stealing, it's trespassing.
Copying music isn't stealing, it's a copyright violation.

Something can be wrong without it being stealing. By claiming that copyright violations are "stealing," copyright advocates are misleading people.

Why do we think libraries are "good" but downloading music is "bad"? Think about it. Checking out a book from the library has more in common with downloading music from the 'Net than robbing someone on the street does.

If you let someone listen to "your" music at your house, that's legal, even though they didn't pay for the music. If you run a bar with a cover charge, you're not allowed to let people listen to "your" music without paying royalties. Is that fair?

It is 100 percent legal to copy a recipe without paying anyone. Is that fair? Is it stealing?

Copyright law is something completely separate from "stealing" or "not stealing." Please don't confuse the two.

wide
Dec 12, 2004, 10:32 AM
1079 songs, 2.9 days, 4.15 GB.
201 songs from iTMS, 14.3 hours, 865.8 MB, around 190 dollars (I think)

Total number of songs played since October 6, 2004:

Top five playcounts:

735, 409, 93, 23, 20.

realityisterror
Dec 12, 2004, 11:29 AM
Top five playcounts:

735, 409, 93, 23, 20.

well now you have to tell us what those songs are.. :D

reality

tsaxer
Dec 12, 2004, 12:07 PM
11,390 songs, 46.55GB, 34 days and change
923 songs from itunes, (like 100+ from the WSP New Years Concert)

Been buying CD's for years and years (tho i'm only 26)

Now I realize I really do have a problem... :o

Timelessblur
Dec 12, 2004, 12:37 PM
2890 total (7 days:10hours 06 min and 48 sec total time and it it as 11.22 gigs
65 song from itunes

Mindy ou I not sure how much my my total libary is legal and not legel since. The collage network did help me spick my libary size thanks to a little program call ourtunes. (a lot of the stuff I did take is not music you can exaclty buy in the states or is no longer advioble to buy or never was out to buy from stories while a lot of it was)

If I am going to take a guess I going to say about 40% of the libary was paid for by me or a family memeber because I do rememeber ripping a large number of cds before I left home for hte school year

alywa
Dec 12, 2004, 12:59 PM
Why do we think libraries are "good" but downloading music is "bad"? Think about it. Checking out a book from the library has more in common with downloading music from the 'Net than robbing someone on the street does.

You bring up libraries. We all contribute money (via taxes, donations, etc) to make libraries possible. When we "borrow" information, be it music, writings, or videos, we are using them in a legal and responsible manner.

However, it does become a more gray issue. What if I photocopy a magazine article to bring home and keep? Is this a crime? Is it morally wrong?

Now, take that to the next level. Many of my iTunes songs are from CDs from the public library. Is that stealing? Clearly, if I was to burn copies and sell them that would be morally wrong. However, having them on my computer (and iPod), and listening to them is a more gray issue. Is it different than an extending "check-out" from the library? Is it different than ripping one of my friend's CDs for my personal usage?

I think, overall, it is probably wrong. Most of the music I listen to is jazz, by dead artists, so I'm not really hurting them financially. However, that isn't a good argument.

It just doesn't seem as wrong as downloading music from P2P sites. I can check out the music and listen to it for 2 weeks... that is no problem. However, if I copy it to listen to indefinately, this is wrong, right?

What do you guys think? Is ripping from the public library stealing? Is it any different than recording a show on TIVO, buring it to a DVD, and adding it to my collection? VCR recordings of TV / HBO for personal usage don't seem like a big problem. Why is this so different?

-alywa

bartelby
Dec 12, 2004, 02:13 PM
5187 songs 14:13:13:43 time 27.77GB in Library
About 200 songs from iTMS

wordmunger
Dec 13, 2004, 04:02 PM
What do you guys think? Is ripping from the public library stealing? Is it any different than recording a show on TIVO, buring it to a DVD, and adding it to my collection? VCR recordings of TV / HBO for personal usage don't seem like a big problem. Why is this so different?

-alywa

No, I don't think it's stealing -- that was actually my point. P2P isn't stealing either. It's illegal, but it's not theft, it's copyright violation. Making a "california stop" or failing to scoop after your doggy-doo isn't stealing but it's still illegal.

Libraries are specifically allowed for in copyright law. Why? Probably just because of tradition. I expect that if no one had ever thought of libraries until now, then they would not be allowed to "invent" the idea of a library today.

In my opinion, ripping a CD you borrow from the library is just as "wrong" as P2P. But depending on what you're using it for, I don't think P2P is such a bad thing. If you use P2P to sample music and decide what to buy, then I think P2P is perfectly justified. If you use it to avoid paying for your music, then I'd say you're abusing the system. But even then, there are cases when it's perfectly justified: for example, a music teacher looking for examples of a particular genre, or a student searching for music for a report she's writing.

rice_web
Dec 14, 2004, 12:09 AM
I win the prize. 1156 is still the highest.

evolu
Dec 14, 2004, 02:16 AM
14806, 69.69 GB (seriously)

redigitizing over old mp3s (to aac)

putting about 2 new albums in a day (on average).

here's what i'm listening to:

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/peymonmaskan

748s
Dec 14, 2004, 03:04 AM
no iTMS here so 0.
12864 (52.68gb)-cd or vinyl.
still with heaps of tracks to convert from vinyl.
an iTMS here would save me converting tracks.

deral
Dec 14, 2004, 03:50 AM
1035 from itunes. know of any support groups avialable?

aplasticspork
Dec 14, 2004, 04:43 AM
69.69 GB (seriously)
while we're on that i have 6699 songs :p , no joke. 17:13:22:28, 22.43 GB.

so own up, who's the person steve was talking about a (long) while ago that spent, what, $29,000 or thereabouts on music? at 99 cents per song that comes to 28,710 songs. 4 minutes per song makes 114,840 minutes (79.75 days). 1 MB per minute makes that 114,840 MB or 114.84 GB. im not being too picky about math as it's 3 am here...
--andrzej

garybUK
Dec 14, 2004, 05:35 AM
7877 songs 62.1gb on my server, a lot of CD's been ripped as lossless to keep the audio as clean as possible for our hifi's in the house.

Like my dad's Pink Floyd Pulse Live and Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2.

The server is shared between me, my sister, my brother, the lounge, the kitchen and the conservatory.

I have around 500 more albums to import when I get time :s

They all have been labelled with the correct Year, Tracks, Artists, Title's etc.. and all have album art, that when shared only shows up on visualiser.

I only have about 34 tracks from the iTms, it is very convenient but the DRM does my head in and they arn't the greatest of quality.

Solafaa
Dec 14, 2004, 09:12 AM
1600 songs of them about 400 from itms.

pdp
Dec 14, 2004, 09:43 AM
i have roughly 6 spindles of 100 cdr's that are full of mp3's plus my originals.
each cd is 700mb. each album is roughly 100mb at 192kbs. each spindle has 70gigs of mp3s. 6 spindles is 420 gigs. i really need an external lacie.

as much as i love digital files, i also love physical properties. if anything im just dull and redundant

plus 3 tracks i got from itunes since i subscribed with my payapl. quality is horrible

wPod
Dec 14, 2004, 09:49 AM
I don't think P2P is such a bad thing. If you use P2P to sample music and decide what to buy, then I think P2P is perfectly justified.

i think that is what music sharing is all about. you cant get the quality of a CD or iTMS download from a P2P network (on ocasion you run into a good rip or a song that doesnt have breaks or odd sounds in it) but in general you get a fair quality recording similar to using a tape to record from the radio. is that illegal? NO. is it illegal to make my friend a mix tape (am i getting old?) NO. is it illegal for me to make 20 copies of a song and sell it to my friends? YES. i think the music companies are just a bunch of rich FU**S trying to get more money. if they would support the fans instead of trying to get more money from them, im sure the sales would go up in the end. they should save their lawsuit money and spend it on a Free P2P network. encode ALL of their songs at a slightly reduced quality. this way people can hear and enjoy the music free, but it will sound bad enough on a home stereo system that the people will want to go buy a CD or purchase a full encoded download. they could even throw in a couple add banners here and there when people listen to certain songs (like ads on radio) and be able to make enough money to get the greedy bastards to shut up!!!

Does a good band play their music for enjoyment and to please the audiance, or do they play for the ticket stubs sitting in everyones pocket?

zyuzin4
Dec 14, 2004, 09:52 AM
10,577 total

191 iTMS (includes gift cert, and free downloads)

joetronic
Dec 14, 2004, 10:41 AM
Im at work now, so I cant give any numbers, but I have close to 1000 cd's. I like to have the pysical album, then I Rip them. Imnot sure how many songs or gigs at the moment, but I have a external 250gig HDD almost full.

About the sharing thing; My wife or myself buys the Cd, then we both rip them to our computers (im a mac guy, she's a windows girl.) I know we are technicly sharing, but the Cd was perchased by one of us. and at times, there are a few copys (software copys) of albums floating around, as I connect my iBook to the External HDD, copy off what I want to listen to for that trip or whatever, then delete it when I'm done, then go through the whole prosses again. She does the same with her computers as well. so...there are at least 2 ripped copys of an album, and the physical CD in the house.

I would never use a P2P to get my music anyway even if it was legal. the quality almost always sucks.

Mord
Dec 14, 2004, 10:50 AM
4500 songs 0 payed for :eek:

nbs2
Dec 14, 2004, 11:10 AM
Library - 3322 songs; 10.9 days; 12.66GB
iTMS - 83 songs; 1.2 days; 717MB (that includes the 9/11 report and a very nice Bach CD that had lots of music for $10); total spent? about $31

Yvan256
Dec 14, 2004, 12:10 PM
1074 songs, 4.05 GB. 2.7 days or 2:18:05:25 depending on what you have it set it. (Click to change...)

Wow, we really do learn something new every day.

gallagb
Dec 14, 2004, 12:23 PM
9600 songs: 30.1 days: 45.31GB

the best part:
smart playlist called "unlistened to" contains 4468 songs - 24.06gb

i also have a handful of tracks recorded off the 'net - using iRecordMusic to get NPR Radio shows- such as this american life, from the top, car talk...etc
most of those are 20min-4 hrs long

as far as ITMS purchases- most of the ones i have are the freebeis - but i did purchase a few for a client once-
that playlist has 43 currently-

asphalt-proof
Dec 14, 2004, 12:47 PM
2011 (I'm at work so I don't know the GB it takes up.
13 from itunes
100 from other sources.
The rest from ripped CD's

I have to agree with Joetronic. Download qulaity generally sucks on P2P sites. I have only downloaded a few from p2p that were of any good quality. Usually I would download several versions of the song to see which one was the best quality. That got old. I have been looking at downloading from the russian websites. Anybody had any experience with this? Its cheap and supposedly legal. Plus you can dictate what bitrate you want to download at. I just am wary of handing over my CC# to them. They do accept cyberplat(?). I'm not familiar with it but its supposed to be like Paypal. I worry that its owned by the russian mafia however. (Puts away the tinfoil hat).

dontmakemehurtu
Dec 14, 2004, 01:03 PM
:(

Fredstar
Dec 17, 2004, 06:18 PM
1430 songs in my itunes and ipod, just signed upto itms because i didn't think they accepted visa electron cards..bought 30 songs already. Most of my stuff is ripped from my cds/my friends...but i must admit at least 100 are from other sources.
I am worried, this is getting addictive and so darn easy! It doesn't feel as if any money has dissapeared from my account...just loads of great tracks that i have thought "oo how nice, i haven't heard that in a while"

wrldwzrd89
Dec 17, 2004, 06:44 PM
Just added another 732 non-video-game-music songs to my library today. They're still untagged - I plan on tagging them tomorrow. That also boosted the size of my music library by 16.58 GB (they're all Apple Lossless files).

dburges
Dec 17, 2004, 07:25 PM
220.4 GB

iTunes Store = 7 (Pepsi caps)

All the rest are personally ripped or legal FLAC distributions of live concerts.

Stored in my PowerMac G5 1.8 DP (four internal drives- 250GB boot disk and 480 GB RAID 0 array) and backed up in MP3 LAME Alt-Standard format to more than 50 DVD's- and counting...

FYI, iTunes wasn't really designed for this. Maybe if it had a MySQL back-end... ;-)

wrldwzrd89
Dec 17, 2004, 07:29 PM
220.4 GB

iTunes Store = 7 (Pepsi caps)

All the rest are personally ripped or legal FLAC distributions of live concerts.

Stored in my PowerMac G5 1.8 DP (four internal drives- 250GB boot disk and 480 GB RAID 0 array) and backed up in MP3 LAME Alt-Standard format to more than 50 DVD's- and counting...

FYI, iTunes wasn't really designed for this. Maybe if it had a MySQL back-end... ;-)
You must have converted the FLAC files to Apple Lossless (ALAC), since FLAC can't be played directly in iTunes, correct? My, that's one big library. I thought 7516 songs, 76.13 GB was big (that's my library as of when this was posted).

dburges
Dec 18, 2004, 01:52 AM
You must have converted the FLAC files to Apple Lossless (ALAC), since FLAC can't be played directly in iTunes, correct? My, that's one big library. I thought 7516 songs, 76.13 GB was big (that's my library as of when this was posted).

I archive the FLAC to disc and store them as MP3 VBR (LAME 3.92) in iTunes. A little bigger than AAC 128 but sounds a little better to me and that way the TiVo and the iPod can both play them. Yes, the library is a monster. More than anyone can listen to, really, unless you want to go three months without hearing something twice (assuming you don't sleep)!

cluthz
Dec 18, 2004, 06:57 AM
10983 Songs (961 Albums / 582 Artists) (64.3 GB)
0 (zero) purchased from iTMS..

Everything ripped as 192k MP3

Littleodie914
Dec 18, 2004, 08:17 AM
4500 songs 0 payed for :eek:Haha if anybody's on Santa's naughty list this year...
:rolleyes: :p

iGary
Dec 18, 2004, 09:26 AM
796 songs, 183 iTunes.

313 of those songs are Rush.

*fanatic*

howard
Dec 18, 2004, 09:48 AM
2688 Total
75 itms purchased (many from gift certificates)
32 oh my own music
the rest from cds.

2A Batterie
Dec 18, 2004, 10:56 AM
Since this thread is still going strong, I'll post again since I am always updating my iTunes Library
4762 songs, 91.04gb (almost all lossless), 14.3 days
71 purchased from iTMS, the rest from my CD collection.

Mike Teezie
Dec 18, 2004, 06:03 PM
I have a whopping 98 songs in my iTunes Library, zero purchased from Apple.

I keep all my music on my iPod for the most part. The songs in my library are stragglers I use with my iTunes Alarm. I think my music collection is somewhere around 8 gigs, all ripped at 160 kb AAC.

Fredstar
Dec 18, 2004, 06:34 PM
Oh dear this has to stop..!!
Since my last post:1659 songs
Of which:76 are purchased from the itms
I have found some old cds and have done some serious burning today!:p
Gotta stop though!

applepitt
Jan 7, 2005, 08:17 PM
I love the program, I use my iPod daily, I'm obsessive about updating my album art. My library is impeccably organized.

I too use my iPod almost daily and tend to keep my library impeccably organized, but I despise of album art. It's pretty, I'll admit, but a waste of space -- especially when you have a 60 GB hard drive where 30.63 GB of that is iTunes music. I use iTunes Dupes Barrier (http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/downloads.html), a VERY fast duplicate song locater.

Most of my collection is ripped from my own CDs. I have a few old downloaded songs (maybe 20 total). The rest are iTunes purchases, which I thought were vere few.

Composition of my Library:

180 iTMS purchases (2.93%, 727.2 MB)
5953 ripped/downloaded from others (97.06%, 29.91 GB)
------
6133 total (30.63 GB, 18.5 days)

Most of the music I ripped is courtesy of my local public library system (http://www.carnegielibrary.org/). A few others are friends' borrowed CD's and about 10 albums are my own. What can I say, paying for music just isn't my thing! ;)

sjpetry
Jan 7, 2005, 08:34 PM
700 most of them I own on CD the others I am borrowing. :rolleyes:

m-dogg
Jan 7, 2005, 09:13 PM
6409 Songs. 93 of those are from ITMS (and a lot of those are the free singles of the week).

I'd rather just buy a DRM-free CD most of the time...

hirstopher
Jan 7, 2005, 09:17 PM
6127 Songs, 10 from iTunes. I'm a library freak as well. Everything is tagged and genrefied. Scary sometimes how obsessive one can get about organization. Especially around macs.

Nermal
Jan 8, 2005, 06:24 AM
1503 songs, 67 from iTunes.

ipacmm
Jan 8, 2005, 08:54 AM
3086 songs in libary and 213 from iTMS.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 8, 2005, 09:25 AM
3009 songs (mostly 128kbps AAC with a few MP3) - 8.4 days, 11.65 GB.

Almost all ripped from CDs, some GarageBand masterpieces (20-30) and 44 purchased songs from iTMS (all single songs, about 5 are free singles).

iPod mirrors iTunes.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 8, 2005, 09:30 AM
Let's see...
(looks at library)

6,197 songs
54.95 GB
8:23:21:36 (8.9 days)
0 from iTMS
0 ripped from CD
6,196 from video games (99.98%)
1 from other source (non-P2P, non-CD, non-music store) (0.02%)
How do you go about getting video game music into iTunes? A couple of MegaDrive games had good music but I'd have no idea how to get the music off a cartridge based system onto my Mac, let alone how you'd get it into a format that iTunes would understand.

EDIT: Ah I guess you answered it - P2P. Problem is, I can only find crappy MIDI versions, not the originals.

kiwi-in-uk
Jan 8, 2005, 09:56 AM
3182 songs / 8.8 days / 14.78 GB
of which ITMS 192 / 12.2 hrs / 738.9 MB (all now on CDs "just in case").

Everything from Bach to Beethoven to Bizet to Billie Holiday to Black Sorrows to Bob Marley to Boom Crash Opera to Buddy Holly to Black Eyed Peas.

Jan 8, 2005, 10:06 AM
On my PC (Which I don't use anymore) I have 11,200+ songs.

On my PowerBook (Main computer), I have 718 songs and 87 were from iTMS.

justinshiding
Jan 8, 2005, 10:28 AM
4884 Songs 18.8x Gb
0 from ITMS

They're probably 90 percent ripped cds (70 - 30 split mine and not mine) and 10 percent gained through 'other' methods.

I've pirated more music from my library (which has a very current and excellent collection of indie rockish music) than I have online. Mmmmm untraceable...(they keep no records once the item has been returned.)

Justin

silentrage
Jan 8, 2005, 12:58 PM
914 songs
3.7 days
4.51 GB

Don't know how many purchased from iTMS. I don't keep downloaded songs in the purchased music playlist. :cool: I would say the majority of the songs I own the CD. Maybe I've purcased about 7% from ITMS.

I prefer to have the physical CD. Most of my iTMS purchases are one hit wonders or old skool songs from back in the day.

Rolerboy
Jan 8, 2005, 02:41 PM
5368 songs 16.3 days.. 158 purchased songs from iTMS

adriantoll
Feb 20, 2005, 04:21 AM
18658 songs, 57.8 days, 75.70 Gb - just waiting for that 100Gb iPod...

35 show as iTMS tracks, although it's probably more like 200 as I'm currently using a backup copy of my audio files

iTMS came in really handy recently as a bunch of my CDs got nicked from a friend's flat and I was able to replace the ones I really missed as I remembered them.

mad jew
Feb 20, 2005, 04:30 AM
Something like just over 6700 songs at just under 32 gigs but thanks to Australia's WICKED :rolleyes: music laws, none are from iTunes! :(

Santaduck
Feb 20, 2005, 05:10 AM
19G worth, all from CDs, 0 from iTMS.

can't stand 128k/s

BTW if you're looking to say you have the biggest iTunes library, go to the iTunes Registry (http://www.itunesregistry.com/reports/top.php) page.

BTW2: Do I even need to mention audioscrobbler (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/)? Just get it.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 20, 2005, 06:09 AM
Just keep going to the public library and that results in even more songs in my iTunes library :p: 8816 songs, still none from iTMS, since I live in a country where it doesn't exist... :(

...oh, and I got a couple of CDs for my birthday last month, which also adds a few tracks...

Lacero
Feb 20, 2005, 06:10 AM
5,128 - 0

monopolyex
Nov 15, 2009, 02:28 AM
You know, iTunes is sneaky.

My totals:

3991 songs (19.2 GB)

iTunes Purchases:

183 songs

I tend to be an album purchaser, so I don't think I've spent $183 dollars. More likely $125-150. Still, this is a sizeable chunk of change over only 6 months or so. It's just so easy to buy an new album!!!

How about you? Are you surprised at the gowing number of iTunes purchases you have?

-alywa
im very surprised in how much i spent in the last 2 weeks $79.97
all on apps one day i will delete and never use thats what itunes does to you
kind sucks eh i relly need to stop this addiction
post a reply!! to this comment

phyzics101
Nov 15, 2009, 04:13 AM
43,270 Songs
165GB
1420 Artist
Collection is ripped from my own CDs and iTunes Purchases

OriginalFormula
Nov 15, 2009, 11:07 AM
3552 songs, about 30 purchased from itunes

BertyBoy
Nov 15, 2009, 12:56 PM
About 17,190 tracks. 102GB. None from iTMS.

A mixture of CD rips, video game music (ie. Diablo II available for free download from Blizzard), AudioBooks (available for free from - somewhere I can't remember - highlighted in MacUser / MacFormat UK many years ago ) - The Complete Works of Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes are in there.
Most are ripped from my MC (music cassette for you little 'uns) library from my student days.

I still have a stack of MC and all my vinyl to do.
Although it all gets backed up three times in three places, I'd have no guilt in downloading all the MC rips from 'other' sources if I was to lose them. It was an arduous task ripping the tape into Toast's Spin Doctor and then into iTiunes, converting to mp3, labelling by hand.

HBOC
Nov 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
holy 5 year old thread!!

HEy Berty Boy, I am curious as to what kbs your conversion of cassette to iTunes are?

since I am already in this thread, i have about 9200 songs, and about 60 are from iTunes and the rest are from my CDs...

bruinsrme
Nov 16, 2009, 03:21 PM
4800 57 from iTunes 46 free, 11 paid

b01189
Nov 16, 2009, 03:31 PM
12,246 Library, 348 from itunes

denban
Nov 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
2829 - 1 lol

Galley
Nov 17, 2009, 03:59 PM
25,000+ tracks
Purchased from the iTunes Store: 5

skottichan
Nov 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
1956 total

312 from iTMS

Lately, I've been getting a lot of free album downloads when I buy albums, like; Cage the Elephant, Beastie Boys, Flight of the Conchords, Phoenix, etc.

It's a great little bonus for those of us that still like to get albums on vinyl.

Corrode
Nov 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
5197 songs.
44.35 GB.

Purchased from iTunes - 0

I have a thing about keeping a hard copy of the album.

BertyBoy
Nov 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
holy 5 year old thread!!

HEy Berty Boy, I am curious as to what kbs your conversion of cassette to iTunes are?

since I am already in this thread, i have about 9200 songs, and about 60 are from iTunes and the rest are from my CDs...

Just used a good tape deck, high quality cable with gold plated contacts, straight into my old MDD. Ate large amounts of memory importing into Spin Doctor, which then saved as AIFF. Out of memory more than a few times maxed out to 2GB (I have 24GB in my Mac Pro so the vinyl won't be an issue).
Imported these into iTunes, hand-labelled everything and then converted to mp3 at 192kb/s. It came out scarily good.
After ALL that effort I wasn't going to toss away any quality benefits I'd achieved just to save a few MBs of disk.

mac2x
Nov 22, 2009, 01:12 AM
618 songs...none from iTunes. Mind you this number is actually short because I have numerous large multimovement classical works that I joined into one track apiece to keep the sort from screwing them up. 5 GB, and growing. I like hard copies. :)

Moks
Nov 22, 2009, 01:55 PM
7966 songs, 61 and a bit GB, none from iTunes store but quite a lot from Amazon, maybe 1000 or so tracks.

Plus my classical music is in a different Itunes library, about 10 GB.

LERsince1991
Nov 22, 2009, 06:15 PM
7175 song, 21.9 days, 51.84 GB

0 purchased, 0 ripped.
worked out that around (on average) 5.5 hours of music have been played each day for the last 8 months

average bit rate - 228
most common bit rate - 320 (6180 tracks)

AKramND
Dec 14, 2013, 06:01 AM
In the process of consolidating my music right now right now, but last numbers were:

19781 Songs
56.1 Days
163.29 GB

6473 Songs Purchased from iTunes Store

The rest ripped from my CD Collection

Entire music collection is actually around 220 GB Now, but won't have a full count for about 2 weeks once everything finishes downloading and syncing.

NeroAZ
Dec 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
Lets see...

Albums:
764 albums 9.2 days, 31.45GB

Songs:
3339 items 9.5 days, 37.16GB

Videos:
186 items, 14 hours 16mins, 12.06GB

Itunes lists my purchased contend as...

140 songs

86 Movies

480 TV Episodes

and the oldest purchase in my library is still a 128k protected file, Jewel - Intuition (Todd Terry Radio Mix), 2003

Mr. McMac
Dec 14, 2013, 09:48 AM
I have 19705 songs, and 403 movies

Zero purchased from iTunes. All of my music came from my CD's and Vinyl. Movies came from DVD's and digital downloads (not from Apple)