PDA

View Full Version : Can the new Apple TV access content on my network?

copydeskcat
Sep 2, 2010, 07:24 PM
I'm very interested in getting the new Apple TV.

I currently have a 500GB Qnap server attached to my network, so I can dump content on to it (or on to the 500GB USB drive attached to the Qnap) and then browse to them via my xBox 360.

Assuming I get Apple TV, will I be able to browse to files on my Qnap, USB drive or PC (all of which are attached to my network, either by ethernet or wifi) and watch the content?

I'm making the assumption that the files would have to be compatible with Apple TV (mov files etc.), but I'm still unclear as to whether it will be able to access thes files?

poloponies
Sep 2, 2010, 07:36 PM
As long as it's in a compatible format and accessible through iTunes on a computer, then yes. It can't seek out the filesystem on the NAS independently.

Cliff3
Sep 2, 2010, 08:05 PM
Assuming I get Apple TV, will I be able to browse to files on my Qnap, USB drive or PC (all of which are attached to my network, either by ethernet or wifi) and watch the content?

No, no, and if it is running iTunes and you connect the AppleTV to that PC's iTunes library then yes the AppleTV can stream the contents of that library.

kirsch92
Sep 2, 2010, 08:32 PM
I don't personally have a Qnap server, but the Qnap has an Itunes server which I believe is Firefly.

It SHOULD work just as if the ATV were looking at itunes, but I would advise checking the Qnap forums to see how WELL it works.

Cliff3
Sep 3, 2010, 12:20 AM
I don't personally have a Qnap server, but the Qnap has an Itunes server which I believe is Firefly.

It SHOULD work just as if the ATV were looking at itunes, but I would advise checking the Qnap forums to see how WELL it works.

Firefly only streams music.

newagemac
Sep 3, 2010, 12:42 AM
Any NAS will work with the Apple TV as long as you have it attached to a computer running iTunes. Apple TV won't stream from the NAS if the computer it is attached to isn't on though.

Tulipone
Sep 3, 2010, 01:38 AM
I am interested to see if I will be able to stream from a time capsule without a computer on at the same time. Barking if I cannot.

potatis
Sep 3, 2010, 02:31 AM
Of course you can. As long as you add the content to iTunes and have it running. With emphasize on running. You can't stream anything to :apple:TV with the computer & iTunes turned off, which is many peoples wish.

talkingfuture
Sep 3, 2010, 06:17 AM
I was intrigued on the demo when Jobs went to content on his iMac, it looked exactly like front row. If this is the case hopefully just like front row it will be able to play content from my Movies folder. I watch lots of ripped DVD's in the Movies folder through front row on my iMac and hopefully I will be able to watch them on TV now.