PDA

View Full Version : ITouch- 8/32/64gb ??$??

pizz
Sep 2, 2010, 09:32 PM
WHY release an 8gb model and not a 16gb instead?

My guess is most people would would be happy with a 16gb. Consider you can hold about 30/40min of HD video in 2gb of space, why pay $299 for a 32gb when I can get by just fine with a 16gb for $229!?

Apple would miss the money boat and sell mainly lower cost 16gb model and not the more expensive 32gb. So, take away the 16gb base model and replace it with an 8gb...give the people the illusion of choice but in reality get them to buy the more expensive product. That just sucks:apple:

Beric
Sep 2, 2010, 09:40 PM
Uh... yeah. I can't disagree with you there.

Apple's always had a strategy of crippling their lower-end products in some way to entice you to buy a better model (Macbook combo drive, anyone?). But as you can't buy Apple products anywhere else, and their strategies don't seem to deter many customers from buying, there's not much else I can say.

Peterson8765
Sep 2, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think Apple needs to realize that we do much more than just listen to music on our iPod touch and they know we do more than that but they refuse to extend the base capacity of the iPod touch to at 16GB, which is still a fair amount. We now have HD video recording which takes up a lot of space, still photos, apps which take up a lot of space, photos, videos, music, podcasts, and other things. 8GB isn't enough for all of that unless you don't mind deleting some of your content. 16GB is a must for the next gen. base model.

elpmas
Sep 2, 2010, 11:17 PM
Marketing strategy.

alust2013
Sep 2, 2010, 11:20 PM
You're right. It is all marketing, and very annoying at that.

Sep 2, 2010, 11:26 PM
While I agree that more choice is better, I can understand the 8/32/64 strategy.

It's obvious that the 8 gig is aimed at an audience who will mainly use the iPod Touch as a PDA type device; FaceTime, photos, notes, email, web, productivity apps and light gaming.

While the 32/64 is aimed at an audience who will consume and want to carry around a decent amount of media in addition to the above.

Personally, after getting use to an iPhone 32, I wouldn't want to buy any iDevice with a lower capacity.

Wallace2
Sep 2, 2010, 11:42 PM
While I agree that more choice is better, I can understand the 8/32/64 strategy.

It's obvious that the 8 gig is aimed at an audience who will mainly use the iPod Touch as a PDA type device; FaceTime, photos, notes, email, web, productivity apps and light gaming.

While the 32/64 is aimed at an audience who will consume and want to carry around a decent amount of media in addition to the above.

Personally, after getting use to an iPhone 32, I wouldn't want to buy any iDevice with a lower capacity.

Would you use your iPhone and have an iPod Touch? I got the new iPhone 4 32gb and was debating getting a 8gb touch also.

Beric
Sep 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
Would you use your iPhone and have an iPod Touch? I got the new iPhone 4 32gb and was debating getting a 8gb touch also.

I don't understand this.

If I could afford an iPhone 4 32GB, I'd never buy an iPod touch. At worst, an iPhone 4 is a much better iPod touch in everything it does.

Wallace2
Sep 3, 2010, 12:25 AM
I don't understand this.

If I could afford an iPhone 4 32GB, I'd never buy an iPod touch. At worst, an iPhone 4 is a much better iPod touch in everything it does.

They said that since getting a 32gb iPhone they wouldnt get a smaller idevice so I thought they might be contimplating getting the new Touch as well as having their iPhone. I misread their post a little so my post really doesnt make sense. What Im asking is if someone has an iPhone would they buy a Touch also?

pizz
Sep 3, 2010, 01:59 AM
Waste of $ imo. Why would you need a touch? You're iphone does all that and more! :confused: but hey if you have money to burn go for it.

adztaylor
Sep 3, 2010, 05:44 AM
8gb for the next gen iPod Touch is extremely poor. I agree 16gb should be the base model.

Iso79
Sep 3, 2010, 06:13 AM
Waste of $ imo. Why would you need a touch? You're iphone does all that and more! :confused: but hey if you have money to burn go for it.

Some people don't want to pay or deal with AT&T's ****** service.

hcho3
Sep 3, 2010, 06:51 AM

My guess is most people would would be happy with a 16gb. Consider you can hold about 30/40min of HD video in 2gb of space, why pay $299 for a 32gb when I can get by just fine with a 16gb for $229!?

Apple would miss the money boat and sell mainly lower cost 16gb model and not the more expensive 32gb. So, take away the 16gb base model and replace it with an 8gb...give the people the illusion of choice but in reality get them to buy the more expensive product. That just sucks:apple:

To cut the cost.
And to make people spend more money.
And to make an improvement.
As a consumer point of view, it makes little sense.
As a greedy but smart company point of view, it makes a lot of sense.

hcho3
Sep 3, 2010, 06:52 AM
Some people don't want to pay or deal with AT&T's ****** service.

IPod touch is no where near iPhone 4.

hcho3
Sep 3, 2010, 06:53 AM
8gb for the next gen iPod Touch is extremely poor. I agree 16gb should be the base model.

'Then pay more. Tell me a mp3 player that has this kind of resolution with 2 cameras, A4 chip with gyroscope and costs only 229 dollars.

Stop crying. or don't buy it.

Guiguiga
Sep 3, 2010, 07:10 AM

Total nonsense IMO. I have waited too long for the AT&T exclusivity to be over. Getting and iPhone 4 at this point (very close to the end of the exclusivity), is not an option for me.

In the mean time I'll satisfy my need for an iOS device with the iPod Touch 4 Gen and my cheap T-mobile phone. When the iphone comes out in another carrier, I'll ditch my touch and finally buy it.

Having both at the same is a waste.

skiltrip
Sep 3, 2010, 07:33 AM

My guess is most people would would be happy with a 16gb.

Exactly! This the reason there is an 8GB instead. Most folks are NOT happy with 8GB, so guess which one they buy? The 32GB. More money for Apple. For those people that don't need the storage, or financially have no choice but to get in at the cheapest price point, the 8GB is there. If there was a 16GB model instead of an 8GB, a lot of people who are buying the 32GB would have bought the 16GB instead. I probably would have been one of them.

joe1946
Sep 3, 2010, 07:39 AM
Apple is in business only to make money for it's shareholders like Microsoft and every other company so that was a smart move on their part for the 8GB version as most people will pay more for the 32gb version. BTW I ordered the 64GB version.

ecualegacy
Sep 3, 2010, 07:40 AM
Total nonsense IMO. I have waited too long for the AT&T exclusivity to be over. Getting and iPhone 4 at this point (very close to the end of the exclusivity), is not an option for me.

In the mean time I'll satisfy my need for an iOS device with the iPod Touch 4 Gen and my cheap T-mobile phone. When the iphone comes out in another carrier, I'll ditch my touch and finally buy it.

Having both at the same is a waste.

Wow, almost identical story as mine, right down to the cheap T-mobile phone.

Personally I'm very disappointed that the iPod Touch 4 came with such a weak rear camera. I have a toddler and don't relish carrying around my digital camera, but I still want to be able to capture some of those special moments on the fly. The 4th gen Touch's camera at 1 MegaPixel is clearly not going satisfy. I'd love an iPhone 4G, but I'm not made of money and springing for an iPhone would double the family's cellphone subscription costs plus the cost of the phones. I'm tempted to wait till next year and see if Apple upgrades the Touch's camera resolution.

Guiguiga
Sep 3, 2010, 07:52 AM
Wow, almost identical story as mine, right down to the cheap T-mobile phone.

Personally I'm very disappointed that the iPod Touch 4 came with such a weak rear camera. I have a toddler and don't relish carrying around my digital camera, but I still want to be able to capture some of those special moments on the fly. The 4th gen Touch's camera at 1 MegaPixel is clearly not going satisfy. I'd love an iPhone 4G, but I'm not made of money and springing for an iPhone would double the family's cellphone subscription costs plus the cost of the phones. I'm tempted to wait till next year and see if Apple upgrades the Touch's camera resolution.

Well, I guess a lot of people would like to have the device (iPhone 4), but hate the 2 year contract OR AT&T OR both. In my case, both. But I wouldn't mind singing a contract with Verizon or just keep T-Mobile if it was the case. I do agree that the rear camera is weak, no flash and only 0.7 MP but the HD video recording is awesome.

ecualegacy
Sep 3, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well, I guess a lot of people would like to have the device (iPhone 4), but hate the 2 year contract OR AT&T OR both. In my case, both. But I wouldn't mind singing a contract with Verizon or just keep T-Mobile if it was the case. I do agree that the rear camera is weak, no flash and only 0.7 MP but the HD video recording is awesome.

I'm looking forward to trying that HD video recording on the touch. Maybe after I get my hands on one I'll feel differently about throwing down $300+tax for one those things.

BTW, couldn't agree more with commentators above: 8 GB to 32 GB jump sucks for consumer, smart move for Apple.

Guiguiga
Sep 3, 2010, 08:12 AM
I'm looking forward to trying that HD video recording on the touch. Maybe after I get my hands on one I'll feel differently about throwing down $300+tax for one those things.

BTW, couldn't agree more with commentators above: 8 GB to 32 GB jump sucks for consumer, smart move for Apple.

Yes, it's a big jump from 8 to 32. Price wise, it made more sense to me to go for the 32GB. I read that amazon is offering the pre-order too and they don't charge taxes. You might wanna take a look at that.

Does your name make reference the Ecuador? I ask because I'm Brazilian and I'll probably sell my touch next time I go back for at least $600 (used). I love South America... lol

trsnrtr
Sep 3, 2010, 08:17 AM
I went with the 32 in case I take a lot of snapshots. I currently have an 8 and haven't even half filled it.

ecualegacy
Sep 3, 2010, 08:18 AM
Yes, it's a big jump from 8 to 32. Price wise, it made more sense to me to go for the 32GB. I read that amazon is offering the pre-order too and they don't charge taxes. You might wanna take a look at that.

Does your name make reference the Ecuador? I ask because I'm Brazilian and I'll probably sell my touch next time I go back for at least $600 (used). I love South America... lol

You're one of the few to catch that. My wife is from Ecuador. Reselling in S.A. probably isn't a bad idea now that you mention it. My year old 4th Gen iPod Nano would probably fetch $150 since I took such good care of it.

Amazon's 0% tax is attractive and defintely under consideration. Also, I plan to wait till Thanksgiving Day week to see what specials come around. Best Buy sometimes has something good. And the company I work for may have a discount at the Apple store where I live. And finally, I might just hold off and get a refurb at 14% discount :rolleyes: