Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I dropped my macbook air into the pool. Yes, i knew it is stupid but I did.

I still hope the data of the harddrive are still there. so my question is if anybody know how to pull out the data from the harddriver (Not SSD).

Thank you so much.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You have to take the MBA apart (download and view instructions from net).

Get PURIFIED water, distilled or reverse osmosis. NOT spring wather or one with added minerals.

RINSE all the parts, EXCEPT the HDD.

With the HDD there is a small vent hole. Tape that closed and give the circut board a quick rinse.

**GOAL is to remove all the salts and chlorine from the electronics.**

Use a HAIRDRYER to dry off the parts. TAKE YOUR TIME.
When all visible water is gone, set a fan on the parts and let it blow over parts for another 24 hours.

I am 99% confident everything but the HDD will work just fine (rescued 2 iPods and 2 computers this method)

For the HDD, best get an external case and hook that way, see if it will start up.
1 HDD I had that was water damaged did work, but make a horrible noise (I think the bearings rusted, not sure). Was able to take all the data out, and stopped using it.

Hope it helps

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Thank you for replying me.
I am wondering if the water rinsing methods work or not. I will give it a try to see if it works. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.