PDA

View Full Version : I switched.

AlejandroGonzo
Aug 22, 2002, 11:35 PM
I got my Powerbook today. My dad ordered it from his work for college and I wasn't sure what the configuration would be.

Ti 800
1 GB Ram
60 GB HD

I got him to switch from a Dell at work to a new 1Ghz with a 22 inch display. He tinkered with those specs too but that one hasn't arrived.

Contrary to my advice, he picked up everything at the Apple Store, picking up a $9500 tab from the Education store (he is a clinical researcher and faculty at a major university), so he footed the bill for the Ti but got the tower for free.

I would have installed the extra RAM myself to save some money, but was kept out of the loop. I told him not to get the $500 full version of Photoshop and pick up Elements at Amazon for $30 but was again ignored. He got the software (Office, Virtual PC, Photoshop, which hasn't arrived yet) for from the university so who cares I guess.

We used to use Macs, but switched in the 90s when the advantage to owning one outweighed the disadvantages.

He said from playing with the Ti that the advantages of Jaguar over XP are marginal. I think iTunes is great, deleting stuff is so much easier, and the system overall looks cooler and is more elegant, but iPhoto sucks. I much prefer the XP solution. I am pleased to see that the DVD player works, contrary to the Dell we have at home.

Don't have a DV camera so I can't comment on iMovie.

Don't have a way to hook it up to the internet until next week so I can't comment on Sherlock, Mail, Internet Explorer, iChat, Quicktime for Mac, any other browsers, Limewire (which I hear is slow on Macs, but it's slow on my Dell too). The programs haven't arrived yet so I can't comment there. Still learning the system.

Maybe I just haven't used it enough, but I kind of tend to agree with my dad that although it is better than Windows, it the advantage to having a Mac might not be enough to overcome price/performance/compatibility issues. Enlighten me on why Jaguar is so much better than Windows.

The design is awsome, but even though I didn't pay for any of this stuff, I still feel slightly annoyed that the Apple hardware specs are not up to par with the PC world, and it leaves me fearing that it will become obsolete soon. Oh well.

It runs Warcraft 3 better than the Dell PIII 550, 384 MB Ram, 32MB TNT2 that I am typing this on.

Well that's all. I didn't expect to write this much (as he continues to write) and thank you to any who read all of it.

arn
Aug 22, 2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by AlejandroGonzo

Maybe I just haven't used it enough, but I kind of tend to agree with my dad that although it is better than Windows, it the advantage to having a Mac might not be enough to overcome price/performance/compatibility issues. Enlighten me on why Jaguar is so much better than Windows.

wow... monster purchases...

Welcome back... iPhoto is probably the least mature of the iApps.... but that being said, it does what it needs to.

As for why Mac OS X is better than XP. A big part for some people is the Unix basis. For many, Mac OS X represents the best blend of unix + functionarilty + mainstream OS.

arn

AlejandroGonzo
Aug 23, 2002, 12:44 PM
I guess I just don't understand UNIX. Another thing, Chess sucks, not that I really care.

AngusB
Aug 23, 2002, 12:56 PM
The chess program really becomes fun when you only allow yourself to move using voice commands, and you are not allowed to take a move back when it interperets you wrong...:D

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2002, 01:05 PM
Chess by Apple really is limited to options and is rather difficult. I haven't won against it yet.

For some REAL chess I strongly recommend
www.sigmachess.com

The program works for OS 8.6 through 9 and OS X and has a huge array of options, from difficulty levels, time limits, board colors, detailed thinking progress, pile depth and custom boards, all for FREE. No registration, no personal info and no emails need to be sent in to get the game.

I'll admit, the 3D board isn't the best, but the 2D board with ? chess completely destroyes the Apple chess board, and works with 800x600 res. :p

http://www.sigmachess.com/Header.jpg

http://www.sigmachess.com/sigmaicon.gif

amnesiac1984
Aug 23, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by AlejandroGonzo
I guess I just don't understand UNIX. Another thing, Chess sucks, not that I really care.

all you have to understand about unix is that it won't crash nearly as much as windows XP. As Mac OS X is Unix, it too won't crash as much. I have a 5 year old G3 and it was always a bit of a nightmare but since I installed MAc OS X last fall I have not had 1 system crash!!!!!!!!! :D:D

firewire2001
Aug 23, 2002, 01:27 PM
chess wasnt really supposed to be all that great,,

my take on it is that it was juss a developer project that ended up pretty nice so it was included with the os.. remember puzzle? that was a game thye included.. i wish that had that for x.. tehehe...

-f

goglamosh
Aug 23, 2002, 01:40 PM
I just switched to a 17" iMac with Jaguar included. I love it.