Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the iTunes 10 logo?

• Yes, I like it

Votes: 54 50.9%
  • No, I don't like it

Votes: 52 49.1%

• Total voters

Brradley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
145454-itunes_10_icon.jpg

Yay or nay?

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I love it. Its gonna look great between PS Elements and Skype.

Having a CD in an icon is so last decade..

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
First post. ;) I don't care THAT much about the logo, but generally I like the new icon. Like Steve Jobs said, the CD in the old logo seemed a little outdated - even though I never buy music via the iTunes store but rip from CDs instead. The new logo looks more modern and fresh. Full approval.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I don't mind it, but then again the icon doesn't change or do anything different for me. I don't really care. At the same time, it's nice to see something refreshed. People just don't like change. Just like people hated "iPad". It will grow on you and you will get used to it. If not, too bad because it's still there. :p

I'm not being a smartass, only saying. :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I like the older one more but maybe it's just a voice saying in my head that this is how iTunes icon looks like because it has always been like this. To be honest, I couldn't care less. Besides, the icon can be changed if that's that issue. In graphical design, iTunes 10 was a downgrade IMO but again, I'm sure I won't remember that after a week or two

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I don't mind it. I think if people don't like it, then they should change it. It's not really hard if you use the 'Get Info' window trick ;)

rema

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
I'm not outraged like with the 2010 Olympics logo :eek:, just think apple could have done better. I could have done better in all honesty:)

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
I doesn't resemble any physical object, so it's a fish out of water in the dock with other Apple icons (Safari, Mail, Calculator, Address Book, iPhoto, etc).

On the other hand

- CDs are so last century

- the "note in a circle" symbol is what iTunes is already associated with on iDevices, so it kinda makes sense

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Oh, and it's soo anonymous and boring.
I've already got too many "round icons" on my dock.
And too many of them are blue-ish with a gray-ish border.

20100904-m2xqe3fw6q3xy3fcr26e2gfma2.jpg

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Oh, and it's soo anonymous and boring.
I've already got too many "round icons" on my dock.
And too many of them are blue-ish with a gray-ish border.

20100904-m2xqe3fw6q3xy3fcr26e2gfma2.jpg

Apple has always tried to make its UI disappear so that the content takes center stage. This is just a continuation of that. There is no need for anything flashy.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Apple has always tried to make its UI disappear so that the content takes center stage. This is just a continuation of that. There is no need for anything flashy.

At least in the recent past "Apple has always..." created UIs that resembled physical objects. (there's a difficult word for that but I don't remember it, I read it on DF a couple of months ago)

The new iTunes icon is the opposite of that, it's completely abstract.

If you're going abstract, you better be inspired, original, recognizable, even clean, simple, minimalistic if you want, I'm ok with that but then you should also be coherent.

And it's got nothing to do with "making the UI disappear so the content takes center stage", it's just an icon, you click it and the program launch. I know it's not a big deal, we're just discussing a design in front of a cup of coffee, no need to bring philosophy ("content takes center stage etc. etc.") up as an excuse for a (maybe) uninspired icon design.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not sure why we need yet another thread on this topic. Any chance one could just change it if they hate it instead of moaning about it?

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
There's a thread with over 700 posts in 2 days about this topic. Did we really need a poll to get the general concensus? Just read through that thread and see how all these uptight people feel. Ohhh, but then you wouldn't have your own thread... gotcha. Sorry about that.

xs10shal

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Seattle
Forget the Icon, what about the program

I really dislike the latest update. If you have compilations, the new program spreads them all out by artist, which is one view, but doesn't allow one to pull up the whole album.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
After a month and a bit the new icon is growing on me a bit. After like using the old one for five years it is a bit of a difference but I'll get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.