PDA

View Full Version : JavaApplicationStub Swap-out?

KeithPratt
Sep 3, 2010, 06:00 PM
I want to install an application that is seemingly Java-based, but as I try I get a message saying I need to install Rosetta to open JavaApplicationStub. Frankly, I'd rather not.

I know nothing of how Java works, so I did a little Googling, and to my ignorant eyes it seems I might simply be able to swap out the PPC JavaApplicationStub for an Intel one and have the application run without Rosetta. Is this right? And will a copy of the JavaApplicationStub found in my Library work for this?

Any tips or warnings warmly received.

I'm running 10.6.3 and the application is CalDigit RAID Shield, BTW.

chown33
Sep 3, 2010, 06:07 PM
I know nothing of how Java works, so I did a little Googling, and to my ignorant eyes it seems I might simply be able to swap out the PPC JavaApplicationStub for an Intel one and have the application run without Rosetta. Is this right? And will a copy of the JavaApplicationStub found in my Library work for this?

Probably Yes, to both questions.

In any case, it's worth a shot. Just save the original stub somewhere, and if the swap-in doesn't work, put it back, then describe what you did and what happened in a follow-up post.

foidulus
Sep 3, 2010, 06:30 PM
First thing you can do is actually check the architecture of the stub with the file command

If it is ppc only(which I think it is) you can simply swap out the stub with an intel one.

Then ite SHOULD at least launch provided they don't use any ppc only jni stuff. If the y do then you are totally sol as java on intel platforms cannot link with ppc libraries even with Rosetta.

KeithPratt
Sep 4, 2010, 03:16 PM
SUCCESS! It launched and so far all seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the advice.