Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
I'm looking to compress a DVD file and am wondering what types of software everyone has been using to do this. Any I should avoid, or is there something in OS X that I don't know about?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
NEENAHBOY said:
I'm looking to compress a DVD file and am wondering what types of software everyone has been using to do this. Any I should avoid, or is there something in OS X that I don't know about?
NEI (not enough information). What *exactly* are you trying to compress? Data (binary? text?), audio (what's the current encoding?) or video (what's the current encoding?). What degree of compression are you trying to achieve?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Just use the built in compression tool. Click on the file you want to compress then got to File>Create Archive.

Or you could use Disk Utility to create a disk image. Launch Disk Utility and click on Images>New>Image from Folder then under Image Format, click on Compressed.

Ikstej24

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
I DO EXTENSIVE WORK IN FINAL CUT PRO HD AND I HAVE FOUND THAT CLEANER 6 FROM DISCREET HAS WORKED THE BEST FOR ME. IT WILL ENCODE TO ANY FORMAT YOU WILL NEED AND THE SETTINGS ARE VERY ADJUSTABLE.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Ikstej24 said:
I DO EXTENSIVE WORK IN FINAL CUT PRO HD AND I HAVE FOUND THAT CLEANER 6 FROM DISCREET HAS WORKED THE BEST FOR ME. IT WILL ENCODE TO ANY FORMAT YOU WILL NEED AND THE SETTINGS ARE VERY ADJUSTABLE.

capslock-s.jpg

Hmmm......? Could it be?... nah :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.