Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stomper1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I have an iPhone 3GS and I have recently downloaded the new netflix app that actually lets you watch the instant movies on your phone, well i then thought that with a set of the av cables I should be able to hook it up to a tv so I could watch them fullscreen. Well that's not happening, do these cable only work when you watch YouTube? I had the impression that it would just project whatever was on the phone onto the tv? The cables are not an apple brand, didn't feel like poking out over $50 for them so I picked up a set for $18 on e eBay. Is it just the cables? Do genuine cables from apple work this way?

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
The apple branded cables will send your movies synced thru itunes but will not send the netflix movies thru.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you also have to make sure that cable you bough has a microchip in it otherwise it's not going to work. usually the company pays Apple a fee as well. unless they want to risk Apple Lawyers coming after them!

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
I have an iPhone 3GS and I have recently downloaded the new netflix app that actually lets you watch the instant movies on your phone, well i then thought that with a set of the av cables I should be able to hook it up to a tv so I could watch them fullscreen. Well that's not happening, do these cable only work when you watch YouTube? I had the impression that it would just project whatever was on the phone onto the tv? The cables are not an apple brand, didn't feel like poking out over $50 for them so I picked up a set for $18 on e eBay. Is it just the cables? Do genuine cables from apple work this way?

haha wow you have a lot to learn

a) can those cheapy cables output youtube to a screen ?
b) are you jailbroken ?

I can help you from there

stomper1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Yes they will play YouTube onto the tv, haven tried any recorders videos though

And im not jailbroken, kind of don't want to. I just know my luck, I'll jailbreak it then it'll crash and apple care won't fix it cuz it's jailbroken. I even bought a jailbreak software just never did it becuz I'm too worried my phone will get messed up and I already have trouble with this thing, this is my second one they replaced the first one cuz the battery crapped out and everytime I update to newer software it freezes with the connect to iTunes screen and I have to go through all kinds of crap to get it back right and restore it and start from scratch. This has happened with both phones, my first one the night I got it the AT&T salesman told me to hook up to iTunes and if there's an updated software to do it, i did and bam frozen. Same thing happened with the new one i got, got home and there was an update, frozen. I get very frustrated with this thing and regret buying it at times. Right now I doubt I'll get another when it's time to upgrade

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
I don't know man, I am leaning more towards user error with all of your troubles. You can accomplish what you want with a jailbreak, but if you don't know enough to know that you should never pay for jailbreak software then I don't know if it's a good idea for you. Just wait for Netflix to update the app.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
As it has already been said, the Netflix app does NOT support video out. So no matter what cables you use, it won't work. Yes it is a disappointment, but I am sure Netflix will fix this in the next update to the app. At least they better!

stomper1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
How much more in detail is updating than syncing up to iTunes and hitting update and letting it go? Every time right before it completes the update it freaks. And I want to jailbreak but if something goes wrong will apple care still warranty the phone with it being jailbroken? I paid for the software because it came with support and I was worried about just downloading something off the web and it carrying a virus, if there's a safe way to jailbreak then I'm all for it but I also don't want to jeopardize my ability to get my phone fixed by apple if something goes wrong

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
How much more in detail is updating than syncing up to iTunes and hitting update and letting it go? Every time right before it completes the update it freaks. And I want to jailbreak but if something goes wrong will apple care still warranty the phone with it being jailbroken? I paid for the software because it came with support and I was worried about just downloading something off the web and it carrying a virus, if there's a safe way to jailbreak then I'm all for it but I also don't want to jeopardize my ability to get my phone fixed by apple if something goes wrong
Trust us, jailbreaking is not for you.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes it is a disappointment, but I am sure Netflix will fix this in the next update to the app. At least they better!
At least we can be fairly sure they'll update the app as it needs work on the iPhone 4. The UI isn't updated for the retina display and it doesn't scroll like it should. It's a beta in my opinion.

stomper1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Trust us, jailbreaking is not for you.

I was thinking the same thing! When I read some earlier stuff! I said it before I wish people had to take test before jailbreaking.

Are you trying to call me stupid or something because I have a concern about jailbreaking and still having my phone being able to be warrantied by apple if something goes wrong. No I'm not some hacker but I have decent computer skills and can follow instructions I posted on this site for advice not to be talked about like I'm some idiot because I've never jailbroken an iPhone

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Jailbreaking is as easy as going to youtube and watching a video on how to do it. There are tons of them out there. Just know that if you have iOS 4.0.2 you can't jailbreak at the moment as Apple plugged the exploit and the dev team (hackers that release the jailbreaks) haven't released a current version that works with 4.0.2 yet.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Are you trying to call me stupid or something because I have a concern about jailbreaking and still having my phone being able to be warrantied by apple if something goes wrong. No I'm not some hacker but I have decent computer skills and can follow instructions I posted on this site for advice not to be talked about like I'm some idiot because I've never jailbroken an iPhone

Well long story short been Jb for three years. I just exchanged my Iphone 4. I have exchanged my Iphone twice at Apple. and taking it in a few times for other issues! and the day I can't JB will probably be when I stop using the iPhone. Anyway this thread isn't about that. as I said in my post make sure your cable has that Chip or it's not going to work!

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Nobody is calling you stupid (at least I wasn't).

If you are the type of person who worries about your warranty and has problems with your phone, you probably won't enjoy the jailbreaking experience. Because that's what it is: It's an experience. Sure, you get a phone that does so much more than the stock version, but half the fun is performing the JB, searching for and installing new apps, and researching new and exciting things to do with it. Worst case, I have to restore the phone. I do not know of anyone who has been denied warranty service due to jailbreaking.

Some of us here are a little jaded at this point. We see so many people who aren't willing to do the research and then complain about either the forum, the phone, or the jailbreak. They want to be spoon-fed every single piece of information and then get mad when someone tells them to look it up themselves. I'm not saying you fit that description, but perhaps that would explain the tone of some of the responses people get around here.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Nobody is calling you stupid (at least I wasn't).

If you are the type of person who worries about your warranty and has problems with your phone, you probably won't enjoy the jailbreaking experience. Because that's what it is: It's an experience. Sure, you get a phone that does so much more than the stock version, but half the fun is performing the JB, searching for and installing new apps, and researching new and exciting things to do with it. Worst case, I have to restore the phone. I do not know of anyone who has been denied warranty service due to jailbreaking.

Some of us here are a little jaded at this point. We see so many people who aren't willing to do the research and then complain about either the forum, the phone, or the jailbreak. They want to be spoon-fed every single piece of information and then get mad when someone tells them to look it up themselves. I'm not saying you fit that description, but perhaps that would explain the tone of some of the responses people get around here.

This, this, and this.

And on a side note, the best advice I could give the OP is that being worried about the warranty is just the type of person you are (not saying it's a bad thing, I'm the same way) and no matter how great jailbreaking is, you'll never be 100% happy. You'll always have that little thought in the back of your head thinking about what you're doing to the phone or your warranty.

I envy the people on here who can sit in Cydia for hours and have the patience to hand-pick all the apps they like or customize the phone exactly how they want it.

stomper1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
The only reason i thought about jailbreakin was to be able to use javascript or flashplayer to be able to watch netflix off the website, this was before the recent app, and I have the 4.0.2 software so I guess I have to wait and hope they fix it

chrisc983

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
So if the phone was JB and he had the cable what app would or configuration would be needed to display netflix on the TV?

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
So if the phone was JB and he had the cable what app would or configuration would be needed to display netflix on the TV?

There's an app called TVOut2 on Cydia that displays whatever is on your iphone screen. Works great! I've used it for Netflix and also Hava (streamed my cable tv from home when I was at my mom's house where there is no cable). I believe there's also a Cydia app that will make unofficial cables work, but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is. I just remember wishing I had known about it before spending $35 on my cables.

stomper1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Is there a way to Downgrade the software so I can JB to get cydia and do the tvout?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
There's an app called TVOut2 on Cydia that displays whatever is on your iphone screen. Works great! I've used it for Netflix and also Hava (streamed my cable tv from home when I was at my mom's house where there is no cable). I believe there's also a Cydia app that will make unofficial cables work, but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is. I just remember wishing I had known about it before spending $35 on my cables.
Isn't it called Resupported?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.