PDA

View Full Version : Yoobao Magic Case Side Latch Poorly Fit?

itzcoolz
Sep 4, 2010, 02:56 AM
first off, was your case in a box with the name Pdababy on it? My box has no mention of yoobao. It says "pdababy Magic Case for iPad," but the box looks similar in design to the yoobao v2 case i had previously had.

2) next, I like it a lot, but i was very disappointed by my side latch, and had some questions. So the latch is essentially a rigid curved tab that is supposed to wrap around the right side of the iPad when held in portrait mode.

however, after I place my iPad in the case, the tab does not fit around the side. the curved part that is supposed to wrap around the side is not far enough to the right to wrap around the ipad. if i push it down, i can force it down a little bit (which i could see damaging my iPad over time), and even then it only slides down about halfway the width of the iPad, and the lining suede fabric cloth gets wrinkled up, showing the stress and tight fit of the latch.

i do have a very thin film (Bodyguardz) on the back and front, but i don't think that's the issue.

did i get a defective product? or is it due to having a film on back and front? thoughts?

mrgossett
Sep 4, 2010, 08:24 AM
My Yoobao Magic came in a Yoobao labeled box, but the clasp or latch on mine is also giving problems. The fabric lining on the inside is coming loose, and it's getting worse the more I use it. I'm afraid it will start damaging the iPad. I really liked this case a lot at first, but I'm liking it less and less because of the latch problem, plus it really adds noticeable weight, and the top flap will not fold flat under the iPad, which makes it uncomfortable to hold when reading.

itzcoolz
Sep 7, 2010, 12:53 AM
mrgosset, are you using any protective film for the case? (either on the face or the back?)

cliegal
Sep 7, 2010, 05:20 AM
I just put a screen protector on mine and now the Magic case is too snug. I really have to force the latch down to close it and am also afraid of damaging the iPad. It was a really tight fit before too.

Tobster3
Sep 7, 2010, 06:09 AM
first off, was your case in a box with the name Pdababy on it? My box has no mention of yoobao. It says "pdababy Magic Case for iPad," but the box looks similar in design to the yoobao v2 case i had previously had.

2) next, I like it a lot, but i was very disappointed by my side latch, and had some questions. So the latch is essentially a rigid curved tab that is supposed to wrap around the right side of the iPad when held in portrait mode.

however, after I place my iPad in the case, the tab does not fit around the side. the curved part that is supposed to wrap around the side is not far enough to the right to wrap around the ipad. if i push it down, i can force it down a little bit (which i could see damaging my iPad over time), and even then it only slides down about halfway the width of the iPad, and the lining suede fabric cloth gets wrinkled up, showing the stress and tight fit of the latch.

i do have a very thin film (Bodyguardz) on the back and front, but i don't think that's the issue.

did i get a defective product? or is it due to having a film on back and front? thoughts?

My magic case was delivered in a Yoobao box.

I have had none of the problems you mention and my latch fits very securely around the iPad. I have never thought that closing the latch would damage the iPad and looking at it closely after reading your comments I still have no concerns about that. I have no back protector but have a PS screen protector.

The fabric is coming away a little on the latch but I don't see it being a problem as it is stitched and can only came away so far, I certainly don't see this damaging the iPad. I occasionally flatten the fabric down and it's as good as new.

After reading your comments, it certainly sounds like we have different quality of cases.

mrgossett
Sep 7, 2010, 04:32 PM
I have no film on the iPad case. The latch is not overly tight, it's just that the lining is coming loose, and the stitching that holds it is now coming loose in one spot too. And I haven't opened and closed the case that much since I got it.

Tobster3
Sep 7, 2010, 09:35 PM
I have no film on the iPad case. The latch is not overly tight, it's just that the lining is coming loose, and the stitching that holds it is now coming loose in one spot too. And I haven't opened and closed the case that much since I got it.

I have been using mine A LOT.

The lining is only coming lose at the very end of the latch just above where it has been stiched. This is due to the fact that they have left a space of about 1mm from the edge of the latch to where they have stitched.

As I mentioned, I can flaten it down occassionaly and this does not cause me any problems. Still loving the case. :D

itzcoolz
Sep 11, 2010, 11:39 PM
interesting.... i ordered a new one from ******* (who seems to have gotten rave reviews), so i'll compare the two and get back to you guys.

gotscammed
Dec 4, 2010, 12:09 AM
I purchased a Yoobao case on ebay from the Canadian seller and also received something called PDABABY and it was far from being leather as listed...

I contacted Yoobao and this is what I was told:

Pdababy is a lower end sub brand of Yoobao and is made of vinyl NOT leather.

That being said if you purchased something called Yoobao and received PDABABY you've been scammed!

All I can suggest is that you open a Paypal dispute immediately and contact Yoobao and hopefully Yoobao will pressure the Canadian seller to stop deceiving it's customers.

Bottom line PDABABY is NOT the same thing as a leather Yoobao not even close.

Hope this helps.

mac jones
Dec 4, 2010, 02:00 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/*******dottcom/m.html

Is the place to get them. He's a trusted seller.

The market (for this, and in general) is confusing, so you have to be careful.

(Unless it's ten dollars, then is doesn't matter if it's fake :D )

yankintx
Dec 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
Received my yoobao case today which I ordered from kevikkev on eBay. I ordered case on Wednesday of this week and received it today.

Here's my review after 20 minutes use;

The latch does not really clasp on, but just grips the side of the iPad a bit. The function is awesome. I really like being able to prop the iPad up and type while in that position. Easier than holding in my hands, especially when in landscape mode.
It appears to be real leather.
how long will it last? For the price I paid, if I get 6 months out of it, I will be satisfied.
My apple case lasted that long but started to separate at some of the seams, and I had to glue the seams back together. I liked the apple case but I gotta say that it was extremely u comfortable to hold. The edges did soften up a bit but they were hard and were not comfortable when pressing against my hands.

All in all, the yoobao casea seems nice for the money, and I recommend it, but we'll see how I feel in a month or so.
The eBay seller kevikkevdotcom. Is really on the ball with speedy service.

mac jones
Dec 5, 2010, 08:08 PM
I have the version 4 of this case. It's very nice but the closing clasp was too tight, and I was afraid it would speed up the fraying of the leather on the clasp from friction. (which people seem to be experiencing a lot)

So I took a pair of pliers and bent it (there's metal in there), and it's much better now. It still clasps, but it's not too tight.

If you do this, it's not a big deal I don't think. In other words, you probably could bend it back if it's not right, it seems pretty tough. Just apply the pliers lengthwise to get half the clasp at once, or it will become too misshapen.

I think that the new version (6?) may have solved this issue. Don't know, but it looks like it's been redesigned, it seems from the photos.

yankintx
Dec 6, 2010, 05:03 PM
I have the version 4 of this case. It's very nice but the closing clasp was too tight, and I was afraid it would speed up the fraying of the leather on the clasp from friction. (which people seem to be experiencing a lot)

So I took a pair of pliers and bent it (there's metal in there), and it's much better now. It still clasps, but it's not too tight.

If you do this, it's not a big deal I don't think. In other words, you probably could bend it back if it's not right, it seems pretty tough. Just apply the pliers lengthwise to get half the clasp at once, or it will become too misshapen.

I think that the new version (6?) may have solved this issue. Don't know, but it looks like it's been redesigned, it seems from the photos.

Was there even a version 5? I just purchased version 4 .

mac jones
Dec 7, 2010, 01:52 AM
Was there even a version 5? I just purchased version 4 .

I don't think there was a version 5. Or maybe there was for a day or two, which in that case I don't think I want one :D

mac jones
Dec 7, 2010, 01:59 AM
I purchased a Yoobao case on ebay from the Canadian seller and also received something called PDABABY and it was far from being leather as listed...

I contacted Yoobao and this is what I was told:

Pdababy is a lower end sub brand of Yoobao and is made of vinyl NOT leather.

That being said if you purchased something called Yoobao and received PDABABY you've been scammed!

All I can suggest is that you open a Paypal dispute immediately and contact Yoobao and hopefully Yoobao will pressure the Canadian seller to stop deceiving it's customers.

Bottom line PDABABY is NOT the same thing as a leather Yoobao not even close.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I looked into the Pdababy brand and found that it was the original Yooboa Magic case, which was not leather. It's a bit confusing.

Also, high quality synthetic leather can be great. Depends on the quality.
Synthetics are also consistent whereas, leather can be spotty.

I have the version 4 and it probably is synthetic. I can't tell. But it's a great case. (you know the quality is pretty good if you can't tell the difference, but then again some people may be more observant about this
:D )