Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICE UK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
UK
Hi I have a Mac Mini 2GHz Intel core 2 duo that originally came with leopard but I bought upgrade to snow leopard.

I also have a Iomega 500GB stand alone hard drive and running time machine as back up.

How do I reinstall original software with out losing all my pics, music, apps and so on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers in Advance
:):):)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You should do a backup of your drive then pop in the leopard disc restart and do a full erase and install. Why the downgrade?

You could just do a time machine backup and use migration assistant, but you may have issues with some apps. You should also de-authorize your iTunes account first.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You need to make a backup as you can't simply downgrade from 10.6 to 10.5, you have to do a clean install which involves erasing the HD

ICE UK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
UK
Help!!!

You should do a backup of your drive then pop in the leopard disc restart and do a full erase and install. Why the downgrade?

You could just do a time machine backup and use migration assistant, but you may have issues with some apps. You should also de-authorize your iTunes account first.

Hiya,

I don't want to downgrade, I want to do clean install and then upgrade to snow leopard. Don't suppose you can guide me step by step can you as I am a bit of a Techno Phobe..LOL
:apple::apple::apple:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hiya,

I don't want to downgrade, I want to do clean install and then upgrade to snow leopard. Don't suppose you can guide me step by step can you as I am a bit of a Techno Phobe..LOL
:apple::apple::apple:

1. Do a backup if you haven't already
2. Boot from the install disc by holding alt key and then choose the install disc with arrow keys and hit enter
3. Choose your language and open Disk Utility from the Menu Bar
4. Select your HD/partition and click the erase tab. Erase the HD and exit Disk Utility
5. Follow the on-screen instructions
6. At the end of the installation, it will ask you if you wanted to migrate from a Time Machine backup. Select yes and attach your external HD and follow the on-screen instructions

Baby Mac

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
1. Do a backup if you haven't already
2. Boot from the install disc by holding alt key and then choose the install disc with arrow keys and hit enter
3. Choose your language and open Disk Utility from the Menu Bar
4. Select your HD/partition and click the erase tab. Erase the HD and exit Disk Utility
5. Follow the on-screen instructions
6. At the end of the installation, it will ask you if you wanted to migrate from a Time Machine backup. Select yes and attach your external HD and follow the on-screen instructions

1A. Test your backup! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.