PDA

View Full Version : Dim the screen of an ibook?

brsboarder
Dec 11, 2004, 09:41 PM
I'm wondering if there is any way to dim the screen of the ibook more than the second to least dim value. It seems as if it jumps from being pretty bright to completly black, is there any answer to this? what can i do?

maya
Dec 11, 2004, 09:54 PM
I'm wondering if there is any way to dim the screen of the ibook more than the second to least dim value. It seems as if it jumps from being pretty bright to completly black, is there any answer to this? what can i do?

You are using the manual controls that are on the keyboard, if you want accurate controls over the brightness of your screen do the following:

SysPref > Display > Brightness

The digital control will give you more control.

Hope that helps. :)

brsboarder
Dec 11, 2004, 10:06 PM
tried that didnt seem to give much more control at the lower end, its bright then suddenly off, I just dont understand

Mechcozmo
Dec 11, 2004, 10:23 PM
You are "blacking out" the screen. What that does is, when you are on battery power and want the computer on but not have the screen on, black it out so that you can save battery power.

Say someone comes in to talk with you for a few seconds. Instead of putting it to sleep, you can black the screen out so that iTunes will still play, webpages will still load, and your computer is still available on the network to any computers that need to access it.

It's nice... you can squeeze out an extra few minutes by doing that.

Daveman Deluxe
Dec 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Well, you really couldn't set the backlight any dimmer than that even if you wanted to. The backlight in your computer, like all fluorescent tubes, requires a minimum amount of power in order to get the tube to light up. So, no, there's no setting possible between low and off--that's just how much power it takes to get the tube to light up in the first place.

brsboarder
Dec 12, 2004, 09:55 AM
Daveman, perfect, awesome answer, thats what I was looking for