PDA

View Full Version : tv in Canada: No TV Shows, No Netflix

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 11:33 AM
So we're going back to the dark ages again. The new tv offers no TV Shows in Canada (neither rent nor purchase) and the newest feature, Netflix is also unavailable.

I'm sticking with the original tv.

OllyW
Sep 4, 2010, 11:36 AM
Netflix is opening in Canada in the next couple of months so I'd expect to see it on the Apple TV at the same time.

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 11:39 AM
I guess that might attenuate the slap in the face to Canada, but no TV Shows would mean I'd have to go back to cable for the first time in almost 4 years.

suss2it
Sep 4, 2010, 11:48 AM
Why do you think we won't have any TV shows? Canada already has a huge selection of TV shows, not as big as the US but still pretty big. Probably the second largest, what makes you think it's just gonna disappear?

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

TV Shows are removed from the Apple Canada page.

This is likely because Apple is starting over with TV Shows. They only have ABC and Fox on board and still, Fox only agreed to a limited trial.

Apple.com

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3132/screenshot20100904at125.png

Apple.ca

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3132/screenshot20100904at125.png

OllyW
Sep 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

TV Shows are removed from the Apple Canada page.

This is likely because Apple is starting over with TV Shows. They only have ABC and Fox on board and still, Fox only agreed to a limited trial.

You haven't got TV Show rentals yet but you should still be able to buy them through iTunes on your computer then stream them to the new Apple TV.

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 12:04 PM
You haven't got TV Show rentals yet but you should still be able to buy them through iTunes on your computer then stream them to the new Apple TV.

Sure, but the experience is going to be far less convenient. You'll have to go buy an episode on your computer, then wait to download an episode in full before streaming it to your tv.

I cancelled my cable because I could do everything from the comfort of my couch, without turning "watching TV" into a computer experience. It's definitely a step back for Canada.

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.

Corruptitudes
Sep 4, 2010, 12:09 PM
Sure, but the experience is going to be far less convenient. You'll have to go buy an episode on your computer, then wait to download an episode in full before streaming it to your tv.

I cancelled my cable because I could do everything from the comfort of my couch, without turning "watching TV" into a computer experience. It's definitely a step back for Canada.

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.

I guess I dont understand this mentality at all. I dont use the hard drive on my current ATV because my library wont fit on it. Renting Tv Shows? at 99 cents? That seems like a massive rip off. Id much rather pay the 1.99 buy the show, and then watch as much as Id like. So that just means Im doing the exact same thing I am now, streaming from my computer/network.

Nothing has changed except the fact that the newer unit wont heat up the room like the old atv did....

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 12:17 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather rent 99 episodes for the four shows per week that I watch than pay $100 for cable per month for 90% of channels I never watch.

And by the way, you're not comparing correct price points. HD Shows are $2.99. Rentals are in HD: 99

I do currently hesitate in buying a TV show for $2.99 because I know I'll only see it once. 99 makes that choice a lot easier.

That said, the option to purchase is still there so if it's a show you think you'd go out and buy on DVD, by all means, go to iTunes and buy it rather than renting.

suss2it
Sep 4, 2010, 12:37 PM

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.How is it a stepback? When were you ever able to rent TV shows in Canada? Just because it's not a stepforward doesn't mean it's a stepback.

benoitgphoto
Sep 4, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yep...I just realized that after having sold my Apple TV and pre-ordered the new one. We will eventually get TV shows rental in Canada but the question is when ??

The reason we can't watch US content thought ABC and FOX is because of market protection by the CRTC. I believe that Apple is or will make some deals with canadian TV networks like CTV but when it will be done...that's the question. If Apple want to develop Apple TV market they would need to put some traction on securing the deals. I think with all the fuss we are hearing about public/generic TV network and profits redistribution on cable subscriptions in Canada, I really think it's gonna an easy task for Apple to secure deals with those networks.

We will see but by that time, we can still buy on iTunes and stream on the Apple TV or open a US iTunes account (google for that).

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 01:48 PM
How is it a stepback? When were you ever able to rent TV shows in Canada? Just because it's not a stepforward doesn't mean it's a stepback.

You didn't read my post in full did you? If you did, please read it again.

Not having rentals in Canada isn't the step back. Not having any TV shows at all on the new tv is. With the first gen tv, you are able to do everything from the couch, and instantly. You sit down to watch TV, you browse available shows, you buy an episode and it starts playing almost immediately.

As it is now, in Canada, you'll have to get up, go to your computer, find something to buy, then wait for it to download, (up to 20 minutes or more in some cases) and then finally stream it to your tv. That takes the spontaneity out of TV watching and makes it a chore.

So, we lost a significant function and it wasn't replaced by a better one. That is the definition of a step back.

Of course, eventually rentals will come here but in the meantime, we'll wait months (or years as was the case with the original) to get TV shows back on our tv's.

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 01:56 PM
We will see but by that time, we can still buy on iTunes and stream on the Apple TV or open a US iTunes account (google for that).

I have a US account. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Signing in to your new tv with a US account will likely put TV Shows back on the menu but since it's all streaming, will Apple stream a TV Show rental to a foreign IP?

benoitgphoto
Sep 4, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have a US account. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Signing in to your new tv with a US account will likely put TV Shows back on the menu but since it's all streaming, will Apple stream a TV Show rental to a foreign IP?

Well...I don't know. I will try to open a US account tonight and try renting a TV episode from iTunes and see if it works. If it works, I don't see why it won't on Apple TV.

ipedro
Sep 4, 2010, 10:28 PM
Good point. We look forward to you reporting back your results.

imacan
Sep 4, 2010, 11:15 PM
Well...I don't know. I will try to open a US account tonight and try renting a TV episode from iTunes and see if it works. If it works, I don't see why it won't on Apple TV.

Did it work?

benoitgphoto
Sep 5, 2010, 10:56 AM
Did it work?

Yes...it did. I'm watching on my MacBook Lost "Across the Sea"" rented at 0.99$ with a US iTunes account. I'm located in Montreal

imacan
Sep 5, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yes...it did. I'm looking on my MacBook Lost "Across the Sea"" rented at 0.99$ with a US iTunes account.

Thanks benoitgphoto. To pay, did you use a US iTunes Gift Card or prepaid credit card?

benoitgphoto
Sep 5, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks benoitgphoto. To pay, did you use a US iTunes Gift Card or prepaid credit card?

I used a prepaid MC card that I bought at Shoppers Drug MArt. I would like to try a US iTunes gift card as it will be easier to track the balance on it.

imacan
Sep 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
I used a prepaid MC card that I bought at Shoppers Drug MArt. I would like to try a US iTunes gift card as it will be easier to track the balance on it.

Thanks again, it makes the new AppleTv more interesting for us in Canada.

benoitgphoto
Sep 5, 2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks again, it makes the new AppleTv more interesting for us in Canada.

Yep, I had regrets to have sold my old one and pre-ordered the new one but with that, it's a little bit more attractive. Hopefully they will secure deals with Canadian tv networks quickly.

TheBritishBloke
Sep 5, 2010, 11:57 AM
The reason for their being no actual 'purchase' option on the new :apple:TV is as there's no accessible storage..

benoitgphoto
Sep 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
The reason for their being no actual 'purchase' option on the new :apple:TV is as there's no accessible storage..

Yep we know that. Personnaly, purchasing doesn't interest me that much but renting is what I'm looking for. However, in Canada, renting is crippled since we can only rent movies and no TV shows.

ipedro
Sep 5, 2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for checking that. I guess it will help ease the transition until TV Shows rentals are officially supported here. Still, with only Fox and ABC on board, the choices will be very limited.

ipedro
Sep 5, 2010, 02:32 PM
Yep we know that. Personnaly, purchasing doesn't interest me that much but renting is what I'm looking for. However, in Canada, renting is crippled since we can only rent movies and no TV shows.

There's a work around:

1 - Buy a prepaid VISA or Mastercard. They're disposable credit cards with a certain amount of credit.

2 - Sign up to iTunes US. Use a hotel address or of a friend or family member and top up your account with the prepaid credit card.

3 - Log in tv with your US iTunes account.

Enjoy iTunes and tv fully, just like our neighbours.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 5, 2010, 06:01 PM
There's a work around:

1 - Buy a prepaid VISA or Mastercard. They're disposable credit cards with a certain amount of credit.

2 - Sign up to iTunes US. Use a hotel address or of a friend or family member and top up your account with the prepaid credit card.

This looks like a decent way to at least try out the renting concept for people like me that has never had an apple tv before.

Either way though, I mainly bought the apple tv for streaming stuff from my Mac or iPhone, with the interface and integration that really fits together. My xbox and ps3 can stream, but it's no where as elegant or integrated as apples offering.

Larpy
Sep 6, 2010, 12:53 AM
I got an apple tv, an old one and also bought the atv flash hack. The problem with the new apple is it only plays itunes format, or am I wrong? Personly I think that apple is just focused on the US market and doesn't think about other markets like the UK, Canada, Australia and Europe in general. Not to mention billions of others.

Renting TV shows would be great for me but I live overseas and this is not an option. So I download them for free (illegally) instead. To be honest I would pay for them, if I could. I would also by music from Itunes or amazon, but unless you have an American CC it's not possible. Although I will look into one of these prepaid CC and gift certificates.

Anyways for me the new apple TV has more negatives then positive. it might sell well in the US but it wont fly in other countries with out the infrastructure (ie netflix and itunes tv shows).

DeusInvictus7
Sep 6, 2010, 09:02 AM
Anyways for me the new apple TV has more negatives then positive. it might sell well in the US but it wont fly in other countries with out the infrastructure (ie netflix and itunes tv shows).

Well netflix is coming to Canada in the next couple months, so that will take care of that part. Streaming and renting tv shows though, apple has to really get a good deal going since the crtc has the networks by the balls and won't let go.

Rideherhard
Sep 6, 2010, 01:24 PM
I wished Apple TV would steam live hockey games... I'd have no need for satellite anymore!!!.

Will iTunes be using 1080P anytime soon?

goobot
Sep 6, 2010, 01:27 PM
wow. just make a us itunes account and fake your ip. screw internet geographicly. it shouldnt matter where you are from.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 6, 2010, 04:38 PM
Some people (like myself) just want it so we can stream media from our Macs to our home theater. The other features are just an added bonus.

Larpy
Sep 7, 2010, 12:48 AM
wow. just make a us itunes account and fake your ip. screw internet geographicly. it shouldnt matter where you are from.

Not that easy. You need an American CC and Hula (for example) can see that I'm using VPN.

While from my point of view I would agree that it shouldn't matter where you are from, in reality it does. Distribution rights and all that poo:mad:

Also I don't live in Canada (although I am Canadian) and my point is that I would say that apple really need to work on there international sales as far as itunes goes. I love apple products and will continue to buy them as long as it's not based on itunes/internet streaming. It doesn't work for me.

ipedro
Sep 7, 2010, 01:11 AM
I wished Apple TV would steam live hockey games... I'd have no need for satellite anymore!!!.

Will iTunes be using 1080P anytime soon?

Pardon my ignorance if I'm incorrect, but don't you get hockey for free on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada? I pick up CBC in HD free over the air.

benoitgphoto
Sep 7, 2010, 03:04 AM
Not that easy. You need an American CC and Hula (for example) can see that I'm using VPN.

First, there is no need to fake the IP since it works without doing it.

As for an American cc, you can easily find prepaid Master Card CC (the Vanilla ones) in Shoppers Drug Mart for example. It's also easy to find US iTunes gift card on the web. Those two methods work just fine.

Larpy
Sep 8, 2010, 02:49 AM
First, there is no need to fake the IP since it works without doing it.

As for an American cc, you can easily find prepaid Master Card CC (the Vanilla ones) in Shoppers Drug Mart for example. It's also easy to find US iTunes gift card on the web. Those two methods work just fine.

Thanks for the heads up. still not that many shoppers Drug mart in my neck of the woods, or woods for that matter. However I get your point and I am interested in getting one of these prepaid MC's. Do you know if with netflix if you download the movies if you can them play them on an old apple TV? That would be very cool if I could do that. As far as the IP address thing goes I was replying to smarty pants above that said you could hide your ip.

Anyways my point still stands, Apple is not interested in any (many) markets outside of the US or at least it seems that way with the :apple: TV anyway. I'm glad I didn't wait to buy my :apple:TV.

benoitgphoto
Sep 8, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up. still not that many shoppers Drug mart in my neck of the woods, or woods for that matter. However I get your point and I am interested in getting one of these prepaid MC's. Do you know if with netflix if you download the movies if you can them play them on an old apple TV? That would be very cool if I could do that. As far as the IP address thing goes I was replying to smarty pants above that said you could hide your ip.

Anyways my point still stands, Apple is not interested in any (many) markets outside of the US or at least it seems that way with the :apple: TV anyway. I'm glad I didn't wait to buy my :apple:TV.

Well I don't know the answer at your question about Netflix and in a matter of fact I don't know very much about it at all. Maybe with Netflix you have to hide your IP...

I believe you are right as US is the major market on movies and TV shows and this market is not restrictive.

powerman
Sep 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
I can watch a movie and have it memorized. My wife can not. She wants her tv shows so she can watch them when she wants to. I want to rent movies instead of buying a movie to watch it once. This seems to be a good thing for me. Plus the little one eats dvd's, litterly, I have teeth marks in his dvds. That is frusterating. A digital copy should last me alot longer. I can see getting an :apple:tv and wait for canada to catch up. ********** CRTC.

Rideherhard
Sep 8, 2010, 10:41 PM
Pardon my ignorance if I'm incorrect, but don't you get hockey for free on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada? I pick up CBC in HD free over the air.

But what about TSN and Sportnet games?

entatlrg
Sep 14, 2010, 04:01 PM

Did you have to use a private ip too?

benoitgphoto
Sep 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Did you have to use a private ip too?

Nope

archipellago
Sep 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
Apple TV is as pointless now as it ever was over here...just cheaper!

benoitgphoto
Sep 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
Apple TV is as pointless now as it ever was over here...just cheaper!

Well...it depends what you are looking for. I guess you like to download torrent content, rip DVD and store content. In that case, aTV is pointless for you. But for me that I don't have time and effort to put in building and store such a library, the renting model is what I am looking for. Cheap, you sit on your couch, press a button and that's it. Plus, aTV fits perfectly in my Apple / iOS device ecosystem and it is all I'm looking for.

mike457
Sep 14, 2010, 07:28 PM
The biggest problem faced by Apple in terms of media in Canada is the problem of who owns the rights. This has nothing to do with the CRTC, easy to blame them though it is. For example, the Canadian rights to NCIS belong to Global TV. Apple has to negotiate a contract with Global in order to offer NCIS in the Canadian iTunes store. I imagine Global's contract with CBS has some interesting redistribution clauses. The same applies to all US shows carried by Canadian networks. It's also why there are so few books in the iPad reader store. Publishers in Canada have different contract rights. Frankly, it's a lot of work for Apple to secure the rights for a relatively small market, and I have no doubt that Canadian rights owners are not that eager to sell current material, given that reshowing US programmes is a major part of their programming.

I expect Netflix is going to face some of the same problems. I'm not looking for anything as fancy as their US offerings when they open up.

benoitgphoto
Sep 14, 2010, 08:38 PM
The biggest problem faced by Apple in terms of media in Canada is the problem of who owns the rights. This has nothing to do with the CRTC, easy to blame them though it is. For example, the Canadian rights to NCIS belong to Global TV. Apple has to negotiate a contract with Global in order to offer NCIS in the Canadian iTunes store. I imagine Global's contract with CBS has some interesting redistribution clauses. The same applies to all US shows carried by Canadian networks. It's also why there are so few books in the iPad reader store. Publishers in Canada have different contract rights. Frankly, it's a lot of work for Apple to secure the rights for a relatively small market, and I have no doubt that Canadian rights owners are not that eager to sell current material, given that reshowing US programmes is a major part of their programming.

I expect Netflix is going to face some of the same problems. I'm not looking for anything as fancy as their US offerings when they open up.

Thanks for the clarification...it makes sense. Thanks again.

archipellago
Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM
Well...it depends what you are looking for. I guess you like to download torrent content, rip DVD and store content. In that case, aTV is pointless for you. But for me that I don't have time and effort to put in building and store such a library, the renting model is what I am looking for. Cheap, you sit on your couch, press a button and that's it. Plus, aTV fits perfectly in my Apple / iOS device ecosystem and it is all I'm looking for.

before I respond, what country are you in?

Supa_Fly
Sep 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

Problem I see with this is:
A) iTunes on the Mac can use the proxy setup should Apple change rules of how it internally streams content to US iTunes account.

B) ATVv2 will not allow a proxy to be used should A occur.
- temporary work around but until its used and tested by a few on the new ATV its not full proof.

As it is right now using a valid Canadian iTunes account MANY of my favourite TV shows is 1-4wks behind:
previously BSG S1-4 (webisodes where free but again had to wait 1wk)
^ that is a show I'll watch like mad over & over again for the next year or so when friends are over; mostly though on IP4.
StarGate Universe - 1 week out.
USofTara
Galatica
etc etc.

I have to agree with iPedro this brings out the spontaneity of using ATV. The blessing is streaming from iPad, Mac, or iPhone is going to be a positive plus soon if not already.

Will still buy :apple:TV next month when I purchase my first LCD TV.

fartheststar
Oct 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
There's a work around:

Question: Just got my apple tv. I logged in with my US Account I don't see a TV menu option. Am I missing something? Or do I need to rent the show on the Macbook pro and stream it from there to the apple tv?

King Luis
Oct 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
i got one today too. netflix is available with tv shows and all. itunes and rentals are available.

benoitgphoto
Oct 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
Question: Just got my apple tv. I logged in with my US Account I don't see a TV menu option. Am I missing something? Or do I need to rent the show on the Macbook pro and stream it from there to the apple tv?

Make sure you change the location in ATV iTunes store settings from Canada to US

fartheststar
Oct 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Make sure you change the location in ATV iTunes store settings from Canada to US

Thank YOU :-)

fartheststar
Oct 24, 2010, 11:13 PM
Tried a prepaid "vanilla" brand Mastercard - bought from Shoppers Drug Mart.
Doesn't work.
Tried it in the Canadian store, also doesn't work.
Went online for my balance to check things out - it's fine.
Called call centre, all is fine there too.
I guess I'm buying gas with it or groceries unless you can think of something else?
Going to be getting iTunes gift card from the US soon, but I was hoping this could work.

benoitgphoto
Oct 26, 2010, 05:47 AM
Tried a prepaid "vanilla" brand Mastercard - bought from Shoppers Drug Mart.
Doesn't work.
Tried it in the Canadian store, also doesn't work.
Went online for my balance to check things out - it's fine.
Called call centre, all is fine there too.
I guess I'm buying gas with it or groceries unless you can think of something else?
Going to be getting iTunes gift card from the US soon, but I was hoping this could work.

For some reason that I don't know, my new Vanilla MC doesn't work either, iTunes tells me that the security code is not valid. Like you, checking balance works. Strange.

I put no credit card in my account and I use iTunes US card instead. It works.

ibookster
Nov 9, 2010, 02:57 PM
Connect to VPN on your router and enjoy Netflix on the Apple tv outside the US.