PDA

View Full Version : Question on printer dpi......

Rhobes
Dec 12, 2004, 03:45 AM
Hello all..............

I have a iMac (OS10.3.6) with an epson Stylus photo 925. When reading the various manuals for optimal printing, photo inkjets as mine are suppose to have the capability to print anywhere from 300-720 dpi. I have e-mailed Epson with no reply as yet(prob. due to weekend) but I don't see a direct dpi listed in the printers spec sheet.

***Epson does list this: 5760x720 optimized dpi with Resolution Performance Management(RPM).(Optimizes the placement of 8 droplet sizes at resolutions up to 5760x720 dpi on various papers for the best detail).

Whenever I see dpi refered to it is always listed as one number, eg. 300 dpi. It is never refered to as such: eg.5760x720 dpi.

Also, I'm not familiar with what RPM is, Is there any way to determine what dpi this printer actually has by the info Epson provided??? It looks like they just can't come out & state it straight on.................. :o

Thanks for any comments... Rhobes :D

kettle
Dec 12, 2004, 04:17 AM
I have a feeling that the bog standard dpi on an epson head is 360.

I think it depends on how many screen pixels you have in a printed image and how big it is scaled on the printed page.

Regardless of this however, I think the actual head is only 360 dpi density with actual dot size depending on the nozzle spec of the head.

The smaller the actual dot size will allow more space to reprint higher dot density in between. pass one = 360, pass two = 720, pass three = 1440, pass four = 2880 and so on.

Not sure if this is still the case, but that is how I understand it.

In theory as manufacture allows, the base could be the equivalent of 720 nozzles on the head. keeping in mind that the printer head may not actually be an inch square.

also the spec 5760x720 dpi tells me that the control of the head spacing is more precise in one direction. I imagine the belt controlling the head would be more precise than the rollers controlling the paper.