PDA

View Full Version : Need advice- How Bad Will Leopard Be With 512 MB of Ram on a 1.33 Ghz iBook?

technomuffin
Sep 4, 2010, 06:44 PM
Just purchased a iBook G4 1.33 Ghz, 512 MB of Ram running Leopard. I must certainly plan on upgrading ram but I am wondering how bad will the deafault specs be with leopard? Help! Thanks. :apple:

mgartner0622
Sep 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
If you have patience, not bad at all. :P
However, it will be still usable, just on the slow side.

I'd upgrade at soon as possible.

iThinkergoiMac
Sep 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
Leopard loves RAM. Seriously. Get it to the max it can handle and you'll be much better off. It will run as you've got it, but slowly.

btbrossard
Sep 4, 2010, 09:48 PM
Just purchased a iBook G4 1.33 Ghz, 512 MB of Ram running Leopard. I must certainly plan on upgrading ram but I am wondering how bad will the deafault specs be with leopard? Help! Thanks. :apple:
Will it run? Yes.

Slow? Absolutely.

I have (through laziness about actually ordering more ram) 512 in my PowerBook G4 with Leopard.

More than one program open doesn't really work. But it does run (and not bad enough to actually make me order more ram, I guess)...

Hrududu
Sep 4, 2010, 10:14 PM
Just don't plan on doing any sort of multitasking. Boot up the machine, and run 1 app. I just started up my 1.5GHz Powerbook, and with just Safari running, I'm at 606MB used. I actually ran Snow Leopard on a Core Duo Mini with 512MB and it was horrifying.

technomuffin
Sep 4, 2010, 11:03 PM
I think with that advice I will upgrade to 1.5 GB Of Ram on to my iBook. ANY GOOD PLACES FOR CHEAP MEMORY? :apple:

drewdle
Sep 5, 2010, 01:10 AM
I think with that advice I will upgrade to 1.5 GB Of Ram on to my iBook. ANY GOOD PLACES FOR CHEAP MEMORY? :apple:

http://www.ncix.com
http://www.macsales.com

I would get it from either of these places. NCIX doesn't do Mac specific stuff, but if you know what you're looking for they usually have good deals. OWC is my first choice for Mac stuff, as they guarantee all their stuff to work in the machine you select, and it's all guaranteed for life. I'm using 1Gb of memory from OWC in my iMac and it's working great.

I ran Leopard on my iMac with 512Mb of memory. It worked, ran a few programs (iTunes and Safari) without dying, and generally did the job, more was far better. I actually went back to Tiger, because even with 1Gb of memory installed, Leopard is noticeably more sluggish. Of course, that also means my software choices are pretty limited, but yeah.

Giuly
Sep 5, 2010, 01:47 AM
I'm running Leopard on 1.33GHz G4 and 384MB RAM, it runs just like Tiger. I'm still waiting for my 1.5GB being shipped from UK, though.

jbyun04
Sep 5, 2010, 02:41 AM
goto macsales.com and search garage sale

i grabbed some dirt cheap 2gb ram for my mac mini so you might have some luck with getting some ibook ram

mabaker
Sep 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
512 mb is good for Tiger. For Leo you need 1 GB to work comfortably.

Typing this from an ibook with 800 mhz with 1 GB ram. You can work comfortably with Safari 5 and adblock enabled, I can multitask as well pretty ok. Using Safari 5 and Illustrator at the same time.

However don't stress the old chap too much, then it will work just fine.

disconap
Sep 5, 2010, 10:18 PM
Compare prices here too:

www.ramseeker.com

For PPC era macs I always found the best prices in their comp tables...