Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdwardNelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Earth
I'm having a small problem where most of my music videos won't copy to my iPod touch. I keep getting the, "this song", was not copied to "this iPod" because it cannot be played on this iPod.
Now I know that this happens when adding a video to an iPod that doesn't play videos, or if the format of that video isn't MPEG-4. But all of my music videos are MPEG-4 so why does this happen?

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
I'm not sure but is it beyond iPod Resolution? In which case, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPod scales it. What about the codec? Someone offer some help here. I'm taking shots in the dark. :eek:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It depends on the iPod. The original iPod Video only takes 320x240. Most of the later video-capable ones will take 640x480 max, the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 3G and above will take a little higher. (960x540, IIRC.)

Note also that an "MPEG-4" file may be made with a non-standard codec (like DivX,) that the iPod can't handle, even though it's in ".mp4" file container. Also, the audio track may be what's in the wrong format.

EdwardNelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Earth
Ok it's a 2nd gen iPod touch, and an example of one of the videos summary would be..

Dimensions: 1280x720
Video Codec: H.264

If the dimension is too high is there a way to make it the way it should be?

tactician1016

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2010
If you have Quicktime, load the video and select "Save As" and in the options select save as iPhone format.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Ok it's a 2nd gen iPod touch, and an example of one of the videos summary would be..

Dimensions: 1280x720
Video Codec: H.264

If the dimension is too high is there a way to make it the way it should be?

That is definitely way too high. That is a 720p HD video.

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
You can use HandBrake to convert it. Select it as the source file, use the iPod touch/iPhone preset, and press Start. Add the resulting file into iTunes and sync it, and it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.