PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Mac Pro qe / ci and video card questions

karsten
Sep 5, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hi, first post i'm excited:) i'm looking at a 2006 Mac Pro and was wondering about the QE / CI capabilities of the stock 7300gt. Is it possible on there?

i've searched a bit but havent found the exact answer to this- Secondly, I currently have 3 monitors on my PC and would like to use them on the mac, if i got a beefier card say a 8800gt and added it to the system to be able to run all the monitors would I then be able to use QE / CI, even with one card that supports it and one that does not (assuming the 8800gt does and the 7300gt does not) ? thanks for any info! :)

Cindori
Sep 5, 2010, 01:54 AM
I answer your questions with a question - Is there any reason those cards would NOT support QECI??

karsten
Sep 6, 2010, 08:28 PM
um because the 7300gt is crap? kind of why i was asking..

Mackilroy
Sep 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Just because it isn't a good card doesn't mean the 7300 GT doesn't support Quartz Extreme or Core Image. All of Apple's cards for years have supported both.

I wouldn't look for an 8800 GT - I would go for one of the new 5770s instead. Yes, it works, and you can use both cards simultaneously if you want to run multiple monitors.

macz1
Sep 7, 2010, 02:02 AM
QE and CI are supported since the Radeon 9800 (from 2003) or even before. The newer the card, the faster it will be. For 2D-acceleration, even old cards are perhaps faster than you think. The mentioned 9800 for example is fast enough to apply multiple color corrections in realtime to a quicktime movie...

cluthz
Sep 7, 2010, 02:45 AM
QE and CI are supported since the Radeon 9800 (from 2003) or even before. The newer the card, the faster it will be. For 2D-acceleration, even old cards are perhaps faster than you think. The mentioned 9800 for example is fast enough to apply multiple color corrections in realtime to a quicktime movie...

I think GeForce 2MX is the first card that supported QE/CI.
The ATI Rage series didn't, but i think all Radeons do