PDA

View Full Version : Apple and prices (reparing parts)

elmimmo
Aug 23, 2002, 04:38 AM
Hi,

My PowerMac G4 500 Mhz AGP just died. When clicking on the power on button the light turned on for a sec, and then faid away.

My apple authorized service support store says the motherboard is dead, and needs changing. It is saying that Apple is providing an AGP Gigabit as standard for that model (the original one seems to be no longer provided), and "as a special repairing price" is pretending to charge about 550 euro (excludingfor that price of working time) which is is +/- = US$500.

At first I thought that for sure there was some misunderstanding, but after speacking to the service support guy he told me, that if I was to buy that motherboard on my own, without the special "repairing" price, it would cost me around 1100 euro. And yes, I made sure, he was not including processor, memory or whatever other thing.

Could someone confirm Apple repairing parts are so bloatedly expensive? Or am I trying to be robbed?

Sun Baked
Aug 23, 2002, 06:47 AM
With some of the older Apple computers, you might want to check into alternate sources for parts.

Some of the used Mac dealers may also offer repair service and/or sell parts for the older machines.