PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 not connecting to wireless network

myuserid08
Sep 5, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've just found my old G4, I'm now trying to connect it to the network (wireless).
It finds the router, I then connect, it asks for the key, enter wireless key, click connect.
I then receive the following message:
The password you entered is not correct for the Airport Network "Netgear".

The password is correct, any ideas?

Running Mac OS X 10.3.9

PowerGamerX
Sep 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
I've just found my old G4, I'm now trying to connect it to the network (wireless).
It finds the router, I then connect, it asks for the key, enter wireless key, click connect.

Running Mac OS X 10.3.9

Are you positive?

AppleCode
Sep 5, 2010, 11:13 AM

Running Mac OS X 10.3.9
Reset the router. Try the airport card with other networks. or WEP vs WPA could be the problem.

myuserid08
Sep 5, 2010, 11:16 AM
The router is using a WPA2-PSK key, but there is only a WEP option on the iMac - could this be the problem?

AppleCode
Sep 5, 2010, 11:26 AM
The router is using a WPA2-PSK key, but there is only a WEP option on the iMac - could this be the problem?
That may be the problem. the airport card only supported WEP 40 and WEP128

raysfan81
Sep 5, 2010, 02:12 PM

I think thats the problem. I wouldn't recommend using WEP because it is not secure at all by today's standards bu that was what was used in the past.

MacinDan
Sep 6, 2010, 02:40 AM
If you upgrade to Tiger, you can use WPA with the original airport cards, but you cannot use WPA2.

raysfan81
Sep 7, 2010, 05:51 PM
If you upgrade to Tiger, you can use WPA with the original airport cards, but you cannot use WPA2.

Anything is more secure than WEP so a tiger upgrade might be needed.

Hrududu
Sep 7, 2010, 07:50 PM
You can do WPA on Panther. These guys have a writeup on how to do it.