Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
so i currently have my computer running to my tv in my room from which i watch my movies and listen to music. Is there any real reason to get a 160 gig apple tv or even a new apple tv? like i ve heard about def mods people have done to the 160 gig apple tv and stuff so i was curious if i should get one to use for my movies instead of running a hdmi cable from my computer like i do now.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Unless you have a reason why you would not like to run it from your computer, I wouldn't. A computer is superior compared to TV. No file format limitations or being limited to iTunes. You can use whatever you want

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
the location of the computer requires me to run a longgg hdmi cable

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
the location of the computer requires me to run a longgg hdmi cable

Is it hidden somewhere or do you have to run it through the room so it looks nasty? I have 10m HDMI cable running from my Mac to TV but it's nicely hidden behind closets and stuff so it ain't bothering me

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Is it hidden somewhere or do you have to run it through the room so it looks nasty? I have 10m HDMI cable running from my Mac to TV but it's nicely hidden behind closets and stuff so it ain't bothering me

ya thats the problem i have to run it across the floor lol not hidden at all, i tried streaming the movies with my xbox but its been a pain in the ass especially converting file formats. so i am not sure what to do.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
ya thats the problem i have to run it across the floor lol not hidden at all, i tried streaming the movies with my xbox but its been a pain in the ass especially converting file formats. so i am not sure what to do.

Where do you download your media? TV ain't exactly the best if you look at its file format support. You could also try hiding the cables. I use these cable canals and they work very well

Cable_Canals_Trunking.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.