Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
Hi, guys. I got a simple question.
Me and a couple of friends of mine want to start to develop iOS games.
I bought a Mac Mini and I want to know if I can install Snow Leopard Server to set up Address Book, iCal, Wiki, Website hosting servers and also use the machine for game development.
1. Will I have problems with software that I install on SL Server? Like VLC for example and other software that a regular user would use?
2. Obviously there will be a performance hit on the server, but do you think we can live with it?
3. Any other aspects you might think?

Thank you in advance.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
easy, the only difference between server and client is that it ships with a bunch of tools to configure the server software in mac.

yes I did say configure, most of them are in the client version, their just hidden away, but you can go and configure them manually if you want.

heres an example
http://blog.theilluminatedengineer.com/?p=136

but back to the topic, yes you should be able to and it shouldn't be a problem, its not like ical and adressbook server is demanding.

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
Just a follow-up question:
I was watching Lynda.com Snow Leopard Essentials Training and the DNS confused me a bit.
So, just to confirm. I can have the DNS, Mail, Address Book and any other services on the same machine right? Or do I have to have a different server for DNS and other one for the rest of the services?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.