Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
So I want to buy Scrabble, but as an American living in the UK, I prefer the look of the US Scrabble (Red based) and the dictionary thing would be a pain (color vs colour etc..).

If I look up the app it only shows me the UK version. If I hotlink into the store from the web, it takes me to it, but logs me out of my iTunes Store account.

Is there anyway to switch which store your iTunes is hooked into for a single purchase?

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
Assuming you have a US iTunes account as well as a UK one, surely you can go to Settings --> Store and log into the US account? That's what I do on my 3GS, anyway :confused:

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I've only got one account, which I believe was converted from a US one to a UK one.

Do you have two separate store accounts? Does it let you add stuff to the same library/devices?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
UK Scrabble is far inferior to the US one. The US one lets you play with people via Facebook, so you can do multiplayer with pretty much anyone.

Words with Friends HD is best for iOS multiplayer.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Hmm, if I try to make a new US account, it defaults to UK, and I don't see an option for changing it.

Is it possible to just switch the location of my account, easily?

I think it Apple changed it over the phone when I called up to get a McBook Pro quote.

If I can swap it online somewhere, I'll swap, buy the thing, then swap back.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Hmm, if I try to make a new US account, it defaults to UK, and I don't see an option for changing it.

Is it possible to just switch the location of my account, easily?

I think it Apple changed it over the phone when I called up to get a McBook Pro quote.

If I can swap it online somewhere, I'll swap, buy the thing, then swap back.

You need to set up a new apple id and use a US funding source for the account.

I have a UK account for some free apps they gave away at Christmas.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
You need to set up a new apple id and use a US funding source for the account.

I have a UK account for some free apps they gave away at Christmas.

I tried doing that. I logged out of my account in iTunes and went through the signup process. Before I could enter a payment type, it had it as UK already.

Jailbreak. Download and install app. Send donation to developer.

Not an option on 3.2.2 iPad at the moment.

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
Looking at the iTunes store:

Sign out of your current account
Click the <Sign In> button
Choose <Create New Account>
When you get to the Terms & Conditions page, what does it say at the top after 'If the billing address..' ?

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Found it.

I have no billable address in the US though. Converted my paypal account over recently too.

Would it be possible to have a friend from the US give me the app as a gift, via iTunes, or an iTunes gift card?

Will those "cross international waters"?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Someone sending you an itunes card would work, and you should be able to set up an account without a billing address (well, a fake one) when you try to buy a "free" app.

With that account, someone should then be able to gift you the app.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I finally understood what you meant by setting it up by buying a "free" app. I had to weblink into the US iTunes store, but I managed to setup a US account with no billable info.
Now I'm trying to get a friend to buy me a gift certificate to buy the damned app finally.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I finally understood what you meant by setting it up by buying a "free" app. I had to weblink into the US iTunes store, but I managed to setup a US account with no billable info.
Now I'm trying to get a friend to buy me a gift certificate to buy the damned app finally.
If you've set up a US account now, you could just paypal your friend and ask them to 'gift' you the app through iTunes — seems simpler.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
kriista, check out Words With Friends. It's like Scrabble; the board's just laid out a little differently. You can set up games with random people or with people you know (who also have WWF)...anywhere in the world. There's a free version if you want to give it a try. The HD paid version (no ads) is just a few bucks. You can have up to 20 games going at one time. Very fun! : )

(It's #18 on the top apps chart, right under Scrabble. : )

PM me if you want to play. : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.