Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wigginn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
I used to be one of those Microsoft/Zune fanboys. You know. The guys always screaming in forums about how Apple sucked and Zune owned all etc etc.

I finally stopped the crazy talk and waked up to smell the coffee. I recently bought a Macbook Pro, and I plan on getting the new iTouch.

So.. I'm a loser and I've been downloading movies, songs, and apps for my upcoming iTouch. So as soon as I get it.. BAM, I have everything ready for me to go (I'll have school the next morning so I won't have time to play with it. Homework... I'll be doing the playing in school lol).

So, I downloaded Videora and it doesn't have an iTouch 4g option to convert my videos... only iPod 3g and iPhone option. Does it matter which one I use? Or should I wait till they make a iTouch 4g option? Or maybe there are certain settings I can input?

Help :confused::confused::confused:

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
Well, this may somewhat be influenced by the fact that all we can do is guess it's the same as the iPhone 4's. The Red Kawa devs apparently don't know for sure.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So, I downloaded Videora and it doesn't have an iTouch 4g option to convert my videos... only iPod 3g and iPhone option. Does it matter which one I use? Or should I wait till they make a iTouch 4g option? Or maybe there are certain settings I can input?

Help :confused::confused::confused:
I think both presets should work, I looked in the tech specs of iPod touch 4, and it supports 720p too! :D

Apple.com said:
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Videos on the Touch really don't change any from the 3G to the 4G. The 4G supports the same 640x480 standard def MP4/H.264 videos that the 3G supports. The 4G also supports HD (at 1280x720), but for me personally, making videos to that spec is a waste of time for such a small screen. A lot of storage space taken up for little benefit.

I have over two terrabytes on my video system, using iTunes, Apple TV and the MP4 standard. So I have converted a LOT of videos over the years. For standard viewing on my widescreen TV, I use 640x480, 1500kbps video settings. Usually 128K or 160K audio. Some HD is sprinkled in, mostly movies. I keep "iPod" versions of some shows and movies for strictly viewing on the small iPod and iPhone screens. Those are all 640x480, 500kbps video settings. At those settings of 500kbps, a half hour TV show is about 100mb instead of 250-300mb at 1500kbps). You have to look closely on the small iPod screen to see the difference between 1500kbps and 500kbps. But having videos 1/3 smaller means having three times the amount of space available on the iPod. Anyway, that's been my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.