Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpumbaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
So I'm back, and I've decided that I'm going to get a new 12 incher 1.2 ghz iBook (w/ my edu discount). So now I want to know what the iBook like. Whats the average battery life? Hows the durability. Sure, I could go to one of the many reviews online, but I want some real people opinions. So its going to be used for class. Living life in a bookbag, being used to wireless internet. I'm also going to be transfering data from my Windows machine to my Apple and visa versa. Can I do this with firewire? If not... whats the best way to do it? So that about it. Please vet apple users, give me your opinions on your iBooks... I'm going to be new to this whole Mac thing. Hope to join you soon!!!

aok1425

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
average battery life - 4-5 hrs
durability - better than powerbook. no dents, wobbles, overheating on palm rest, etc.
wireless - better range than powerbook
best way to transfer files - cat5 ethernet cable between the two

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
i suggest that you invest money in a very good bag. you'll really appreciate it if you do a lot of traveling with your ibook. helps to protect it as well.

ajkst1

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
I HIGHLY recommend picking up Applecare with that edu discount. College is a scary place for any laptop. My girlfriend's roommate was an idiot and decided to hit the back of her iBook with a hard rubber ball. The brightness now flickers in and out (loose cable). Same roommate dropped my iPod that my girlfriend was borrowing off a desk onto a chair and then a concrete floor. Applecare has a turn around time of 1 week (Call Monday, fixed by Friday). It's worth it, especially because it's only $189 for the iBook with the edu discount. The iBook is a sweet machine for the money and you'll be very happy. Spend a little extra and upgrade the RAM to at least 512 (you'll thank me later).

I recommend the following programs:Spend the money on the software. It will make your life soooo much easier. If your school has site licenses for Microsoft products, ask if they have a license for Office 2004. I would recommend OpenOffice (because it's free), but they aren't coming out with a OS X native version until 2.0 and that's not for a while.

aok1425 said:
average battery life - 4-5 hrs
durability - better than powerbook. no dents, wobbles, overheating on palm rest, etc.
wireless - better range than powerbook
best way to transfer files - cat5 ethernet cable between the two

my powerbook does not have any of those problems, its wireless reception isnt as good as the ibook, but still gets great range

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
ajkst1 said:
I HIGHLY recommend picking up Applecare with that edu discount. College is a scary place for any laptop. My girlfriend's roommate was an idiot and decided to hit the back of her iBook with a hard rubber ball. The brightness now flickers in and out (loose cable). Same roommate dropped my iPod that my girlfriend was borrowing off a desk onto a chair and then a concrete floor. Applecare has a turn around time of 1 week (Call Monday, fixed by Friday). It's worth it, especially because it's only $189 for the iBook with the edu discount. The iBook is a sweet machine for the money and you'll be very happy. Spend a little extra and upgrade the RAM to at least 512 (you'll thank me later).

Sorry... Applecare isn't going to cover drops or stupidity (hitting your iBook with a rubber ball). Geesh, this comes up way too much! :rolleyes:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
virividox said:
my powerbook does not have any of those problems, its wireless reception isnt as good as the ibook, but still gets great range

i have to agree with aok1425 the iBook is more durable. . . if you plan on droping it off of a desk! yes, PB get hot, yes they often woble b/c of the changing temp across the metal case. but they still preform better than iBooks (except for wireless reception) but for college the iBook rocks. If you are the type of person to neglect expensive electronics it is great. The wireless recetion rocks, so you can usually 'borrow' internet from further away (a great trick in college when you dont want to pay for internet. . . not that ive ever done that) you should really enjoy an iBook . . . just remeber to get more than the stock ram, you can find it cheaper NOT at apple.

as for transfering files . . . ethernet is the fastest with a windows machine, it is pretty difficult to network a windows machine and apple over firewire. especially since the formats are usually different and you have to get a special program on the windows machine to read the mac stuff. if you have an external firewire drive then format it as FAT 32 and both windows and OS X can read it. the easiest way to transfer files has to be a thumbdrive. as long as it is smaller files (or you fork over a lot of money for a multi-gig thumb drive) but a thumb drive transfers files very well b/w mac and windows, especially word files, power point and all for various class projects.

callmesideburns

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2004
I have a powerbook but I transfer files with a pc (which is my scanning station) everyday. I either mount the windows shared directories onto my PB and transfer them through the network wireless or if I'm transferring gigs of information I will use a firewire drive that I formatted FAT32 or an ipod.

The cross capability of file formats is becoming a thing of the past. I work in a studio with all pcs and I'm the only mac person. I am constantly working on files originally created on PCs, then edited and expanded upon on my mac, transfered back to the person's pc with no problems at all. Just make sure to add file extensions before sending it back over to the pc.

ajkst1

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
I know Applecare doesn't cover that, but I'm citing the abuse that a laptop can take in college. Applecare can cover certain things (not drops or accidents) but is WELL worth it for the money.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
iBook

Unless you're doing high end graphics or video, grab the iBook and run. I went through my undergrad with a 500mhz G3 iBook and it's still one of my best investments. Just be sure to grab a good backpack type bag (it makes the weight distribution of the laptop and books easier to manage and you can carry a workout satchel type bag if need be) as well.
I have since moved on the a pBook, and I tend to be more careful with that (consciously or not) but I just trust the iBook to hold up better.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
appleretailguy said:
Unless you're doing high end graphics or video, grab the iBook and run. I went through my undergrad with a 500mhz G3 iBook and it's still one of my best investments. Just be sure to grab a good backpack type bag (it makes the weight distribution of the laptop and books easier to manage and you can carry a workout satchel type bag if need be) as well.
I have since moved on the a pBook, and I tend to be more careful with that (consciously or not) but I just trust the iBook to hold up better.
What would you consider high end graphics and video work? I have a digital video camera and is editing home movies i.e adding music and titles is that high end work that an ibook cant handle??I also do some java work with web design can an ibook handle that?

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Your ibook can handle that stuff, and it's not that it "can't" handle the high end stuff, it'll just do it less quickly than the pbook. No worries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.