PDA

View Full Version : Okay so iBooks look nice when they're NEW... but not after grubby fingers. Cleaning?

spaceballl
Dec 12, 2004, 09:08 PM
What's the best way to clean this notebook up a bit? I'm mostly talking about the keyboard, trackpad, button, and place where wrists rest.

Is there a good cleaner that won't take off the white paint?

Also for the keyboard... it gets little bits of dirt on each button, and i just kinda wanna scrape it off. Any clues?

My iBook is still fairly new so I just want to nip the problem in the bud. Many of my friends' iBooks that are years old don't look so nice...

-Kevin

Dan8302
Dec 12, 2004, 09:37 PM
here are two places that i know of
Here (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Icecreme.aspx)
and
here (http://www.icleaner.com/)
I don't think either one would work for the keyboard though
let me know if you try it, mine isn't bad enough to need it yet, but i have a feeling I will want to soon

dotnina
Dec 12, 2004, 10:05 PM
A ton of people have recommended the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for cleaning the wrist area. I haven't used it myself (I don't have an iBook), but if you search the forums you can read about all the happy things people have to say about it.

McCord9
Dec 13, 2004, 12:28 AM
I have to agree with dotnina. I always advertise the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to my friends. It works perfectly for ibooks. Just take it out of the box and it will take all the grime out of the keyboard wristrests etc. Good luck

spaceballl
Dec 13, 2004, 02:37 AM
oooh that magic eraser looks like a pretty good product. Would it be okay on something more delicate like a keyboard?
-Kevin

iGary
Dec 13, 2004, 05:41 AM
iKlear works very nicely as well, and seems to put a protective coating, albeit temporary, on the iBook.

I wipe mine down once a week or so.

Of course, I'm really anal about my computers. ;)

DavidLeblond
Dec 13, 2004, 07:30 AM
Not sure I'd use magic eraser on the keyboard itself. A strong breeze seems to be enough to take the letters off that damn keyboard, the magic eraser would show no mercy.

brsboarder
Dec 13, 2004, 11:12 AM
I've been using the magic clean on keyboard/everything for about 4 months and I cant complain sure, I cant see 10 of my keys, just kidding...they are all still perfect, so clean away

timnosenzo
Dec 13, 2004, 11:14 AM
Those Magic Erasers are quite amazing! :eek:

TrenchMouth
Dec 13, 2004, 11:45 AM
never tried the magic eraser things, i will look into that.

the g/f unit has a 900Mhz iBook and the only part that got dirty really was the wrist pad area. she found that using toothpaste worked better than pretty much anything else. so there is our collective 2 cents.

good luck.

bograt69
Dec 13, 2004, 01:46 PM
I use a normal eraser on the trackpad and wrist rests on my iBook, it works quite well, just watch out for all the wee bits of rubber getting under the keys!

Mike