PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Advice 14" iBook G4

tinyfireworks
Sep 5, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I have a summer 2005 14" iBook G4 that I'd like to wipe and give to a friend, but I seem to have lost my install disks somewhere in one of my moves in the last 5 years. The Apple Store employee I talked to said I should make an appointment at the Genius Bar and they'll do a wipe and reinstall for me, but I'm not interested in putting much more money into this since I'm giving it to a friend as a favor (hers just died). Any suggestions for how to get a copy of the right OS and all the iLife software, too? It has Tiger, but I could put Leopard on it, if that's easier to get ahold of.

Thanks!

d88co88
Sep 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
You have a legal copy of the install discs, so download it from a torrent. It is completely legal. Then take the iso image and burn it to a dvd from disk utility. Boot from the dvd and erase the hard drive then install.

Giuly
Sep 6, 2010, 01:12 PM
You have a legal copy of the install discs, so download it from a torrent. It is completely legal. Then take the iso image and burn it to a dvd from disk utility. Boot from the dvd and erase the hard drive then install.
Right, along with the machine he received a license of Tiger, so he can download a Tiger-DVD/CDs use them, they're just "legal backup copies" then.

Installing Leopard remains illegal, though.

tinyfireworks
Sep 6, 2010, 06:48 PM
It's "she" actually, but I appreciate the advice anyway. :)

I did find a copy and downloaded it, then burned it to a DVD like you said, but when I try to install from it, a screen comes up showing pictures of a wireless mouse with the batteries being taken out? It seems to imply that I need to replace the batteries in my wireless mouse - which I haven't had for something like 4 years. And it won't acknowledge the trackpad as a pointing device or move past this screen. I am going to Google this problem, but any thoughts on this? Much appreciated, thanks!

NM - I plugged in a USB mouse and it worked. After some software updates and a few restarts, the trackpad is working again, too.