PDA

View Full Version : Just got 2 eMacs

JEdiBeavis
Aug 23, 2002, 08:31 AM
I got 2 eMacs from Outpost.com yesterday (no sales tax here, and free shipping). I had called before placing the order online to make absolutely sure they would have Jaguar discs in the box, as people have been suggesting has been the case with their recent purchases. Well, they arrived with 10.1.4 discs.

What would be a reasonable resolution of this situation? I don't want to be a crank, but on the other hand I was lied to.

Anyone know if I could buy Jaguar at an Apple store tonight (Woodfield, IL) through the "up-to-date" program ($20)? If I can, maybe I can just get Outpost.com to give me a $20 credit and take care of it quickly myself.

Suggestions?

Also, if anyone can point me to a comprehensive Airport set-up guide I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping to get both eMacs to share the Airport with an ethernet-connected Dell (it's for work...sorry).

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2002, 08:36 AM
From now on, I think it would be best to avoid ordering stuff from OutP!ss.

For something like this, try www.smalldog.com (http://www.smalldog.com). That's where I got my 0.5GHz Cube and 15 inch monitor cheap. That's also where my father picked up a G3 iMac with OS 9 and OS X pre-loaded.

As for the up-to-date with eMacs, I think this only worked for PowerMacs purchased before we saw the DDR-RAM revision.

JEdiBeavis
Aug 23, 2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
From now on, I think it would be best to avoid ordering stuff from OutP!ss.

For something like this, try www.smalldog.com (http://www.smalldog.com). That's where I got my 0.5GHz Cube and 15 inch monitor cheap. That's also where my father picked up a G3 iMac with OS 9 and OS X pre-loaded.

As for the up-to-date with eMacs, I think this only worked for PowerMacs purchased before we saw the DDR-RAM revision.

Well, thanks for the advice on Outpost, but I've spent thousands of dollars there over the past four years and I've enjoyed their service in the past.

There is a slight problem with your suggestion to use Small Dog.

"Our contract with Apple limits sales of new Apple product on the Internet to our existing customers, the members of our Top Dog Club. If you are not a previous customer you are welcome to purchase new Apple product at our Waitsfield, Vermont location. If you are interested in the current Apple offerings, please give us a call so that we may provide you with a quotation for your needs."

http://www.smalldog.com/faq_n.html

Also, re: the up-to-date applying only to PM's, Apple says:

"A Macintosh computer qualifies for this program if it was sold by an authorized Apple reseller or Apple Computer, Inc., on or after July 17, 2002, and does not have Mac OS X v10.2 “Jaguar” included." All systems - even the lowly eMac - are included.
http://a1856.g.akamai.net/7/1856/51/fc84cbe6813b35/www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/pdf/qual_systems_july_2002.pdf

But at least you answered quickly. :D

Backtothemac
Aug 23, 2002, 09:12 AM
Don't forget about Macrumors newest sponsor....General Cybernetics.....

The apple sales manager is yours truely!
B2TM

iJon
Aug 23, 2002, 09:27 AM
eMac is probably the worst computer I have seen Apple make in a long time. at our authorized apple dealer we have sold a ton. but most of them keep coming back with the same problem. screen shrinks down to about 80 percent and a lot of other things. At first it was ok, just get a hold of applecare, ship the logic board overnight and they customer was good to go. Now they are back ordered and a lot of customers arent gettign a good computer in a while. but dont get me wrong, i like the emac, only when it works though. so if your getting an emac, its a gamble, youll get one that works or you will get one that doesnt. email me if you have had similar problems on your emac, im curious to know if other people are having problems with the emac. jtaylor2d@ipa.net

iJon

ftaok
Aug 23, 2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by JEdiBeavis
There is a slight problem with your suggestion to use Small Dog.

"Our contract with Apple limits sales of new Apple product on the Internet to our existing customers, the members of our Top Dog Club. If you are not a previous customer you are welcome to purchase new Apple product at our Waitsfield, Vermont location. If you are interested in the current Apple offerings, please give us a call so that we may provide you with a quotation for your needs."

http://www.smalldog.com/faq_n.html You can still order new Apple products from SmallDog even if you're not a previous customer. Just call their toll-free number. They'll be happy to help you out.

I got my iBook500 from them last year and they were great about it. They included a 128MB chip and they didn't charge an "installation fee". Plus, they actually tried it out before sending it to see if the RAM was good (at least the little sticker said they did - no reason to not believe them).

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2002, 10:00 AM
>You can still order new Apple products from SmallDog even if you're not a previous customer. Just call their toll-free number. They'll be happy to help you out.

>I got my iBook500 from them last year and they were great about it. They included a 128MB chip and they didn't charge an "installation fee". Plus, they actually tried it out before sending it to see if the RAM was good (at least the little sticker said they did - no reason to not believe them).

Ah, another satisfied SmallDog customer. Glad to see you are getting excellent service from them. :)

>jtaylor2d@ipa.net

I guess you don't get too much spam email. I don't think too many people would think of the name jtaylor2d. :p

>(Backtothemac) Don't forget about Macrumors newest sponsor....General Cybernetics.....

I've already bookmarked the home page! :D

JEdiBeavis
Aug 23, 2002, 10:05 AM
I just talked with the Woodfield, IL, Apple Store folks. They're selling new 10.2 boxes only. I'd have to do up-to-date over the website or via mail.

phoey

Maybe I'll go to the festivities tonight anyway and win an iMac with 10.2 installed. Then my probs would be solved!

mcrain
Aug 23, 2002, 10:18 AM
Smalldog is terrible compared to General Cybernetics. Their customer support, deals, and all 'round tech savvy are far and away the best.

I strongly suggest you check them out.

Oh, on your original question, you were induced to purchase the machines based upon the companies promise that you would receive the Jaguar disks. Call them, ask for a manager, tell them you were promised Jaguar, (tell him to check the recording of your sales call), and that you would like the disks shipped to you at your home/work address via priority mail.

You can always ship the computers back (call your Credit card company first and have the payment to the company reversed).

Then, after Jaguar is officially released, you can repurchase.

firewire2001
Aug 23, 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by iJon
eMac is probably the worst computer I have seen Apple make in a long time. at our authorized apple dealer we have sold a ton. but most of them keep coming back with the same problem. screen shrinks down to about 80 percent and a lot of other things. At first it was ok, just get a hold of applecare, ship the logic board overnight and they customer was good to go. Now they are back ordered and a lot of customers arent gettign a good computer in a while. but dont get me wrong, i like the emac, only when it works though. so if your getting an emac, its a gamble, youll get one that works or you will get one that doesnt. email me if you have had similar problems on your emac, im curious to know if other people are having problems with the emac. jtaylor2d@ipa.net

iJon

you mustve gotten just a bad mac.. my old school has set up about 60 eMacs, all without problems...

-f

JEdiBeavis
Aug 23, 2002, 04:13 PM
Outpost is shipping the Combo Drive and Superdrive eMacs with 10.2, but the CD-RW's with 10.1.4. They have no 10.2 discs to give me.

They're giving me a credit of $20 and I'll do the up-to-date thing at apple.com

Ah, well. Life goes on.

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2002, 04:23 PM
>(mcrain) Smalldog is terrible compared to General Cybernetics. Their customer support, deals, and all 'round tech savvy are far and away the best.

Looks like the dog house got a bit smaller. :eek: :D

I'm liking what I see. When my father or I need a new computer I'll try to remember to mention this.

>(KC) try to remember

In case you ask, I forget a lot of things nowadays. :p

iJon
Aug 24, 2002, 10:03 AM
Thats cool that yours work. Are emac on dislpay here works but we have gotten a numerous amount of bad ones. but i know apple will take care of the problem.

iJon