PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth keyboard needs to be searched for and/or paired each time

annk
Dec 13, 2004, 04:50 AM
I recently got an Apple BT keyboard to use with my 17" PB. Once it's paired it works fine, but it needs to be paired (or at least searched for) every time I turn it on (if I use the on-off switch during a session). There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when I can just search for it, and when I have to actually pair it up again. And - when I search for it, it's always already showing in my list of BT items, but the computer won't recognise it until I search. My Logictech BT mouse doesn't have this problem - the PB recognises it after just a few seconds any time it's charged up and within about 10 meters of the PB. What's the deal with the keyboard? It's a major hassle to have to keep searching/re-pairing.

davegoody
Dec 13, 2004, 06:31 AM
I recently got an Apple BT keyboard to use with my 17" PB. Once it's paired it works fine, but it needs to be paired (or at least searched for) every time I turn it on (if I use the on-off switch during a session). There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when I can just search for it, and when I have to actually pair it up again. And - when I search for it, it's always already showing in my list of BT items, but the computer won't recognise it until I search. My Logictech BT mouse doesn't have this problem - the PB recognises it after just a few seconds any time it's charged up and within about 10 meters of the PB. What's the deal with the keyboard? It's a major hassle to have to keep searching/re-pairing.

Sound's like the keyboard is not keeping it's settings, I would have thought that the pairing would be kept in NVRAM on the KB controller or even Flash, though it is possible that it is backed up by the main batteries. Either way, if it is new enough, I would get it swapped.

cmvsm
Dec 13, 2004, 09:16 AM
Have you installed the latest Bluetooth firmware update? I had the same pairing issue at times and I haven't seen that issue since I installed the update. If you have and are still having issues, I'd get it swapped out.

annk
Dec 14, 2004, 04:30 AM
I installed the firmware update before pairing the keyboard the first time. Guess I'll have to exchange it.