Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I've been watching and considering the old ATV. Price on it has dropped to $139 (today) for a new 160gb. Is it time to buy or wait for the new ATV to hit the streets and see if it is hackable?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Agh! This is a really good investment. Especially since I called Apple and the same deal is available at retail store. I'm just not sure since I really want the new one too, especially because of Netflix.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Agh! This is a really good investment. Especially since I called Apple and the same deal is available at retail store. I'm just not sure since I really want the new one too, especially because of Netflix.

at that price reduction, you could get one of each...:p

WildGuess

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I've been using mine with atvFlash which gives a bunch of cool options. I'm hoping that Flash continues to be updated. The Cult of the Hot Box (patent pending).

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I've been using mine with atvFlash which gives a bunch of cool options. I'm hoping that Flash continues to be updated. The Cult of the Hot Box (patent pending).

What kind of options? And how long does it take to install? I know I could look up that stuff, I'm sure you now it off the top of your head.

WildGuess

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
from their site

Supported Media Formats:
- Video: .avi, .divx, .eyetv, .flv, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .ogg, .ogm, .rm, .rmvb, .wmv, .xvid
- DVD files: VIDEO_TS/VOB and ISO
- Maximum video resolution: 1280x720 @ 24fps, 960x540 @ 30fps, up to 5 Mbps bitrate
- Audio: AAC, AC3, DTS, FLAC, MPEG3, MPEG4, VBR MP3, and WMA
- Subtitles: SSA and SRT

Included Software:
- NitoTV - Play DVD files, enable USB storage and much more
- Couch Surfer Pro - Powerful Safari based web browser
- Sapphire - Play and organize media using IMDB database
- ATVFiles - Browse and play stored media
- Overflow - Combine multiple menu items into a single menu
- AirControl - Use the Loop™ Pointer from Hillcrest Labs on AppleTV
- Keyboard Magic - Robust keyboard support
- XBMC - A fully customizable media center app
- Boxee (beta) - Watch and share media with your friends
- Maintenance - Manage installed apps, and install additional features
- FTP/SFTP/SSH Access - Transfer files to and from your AppleTV
- All Available Video Codecs (Perian, A52, Mplayer + more)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Supported Media Formats:
- Video: .avi, .divx, .eyetv, .flv, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .ogg, .ogm, .rm, .rmvb, .wmv, .xvid
- DVD files: VIDEO_TS/VOB and ISO
- Maximum video resolution: 1280x720 @ 24fps, 960x540 @ 30fps, up to 5 Mbps bitrate
- Audio: AAC, AC3, DTS, FLAC, MPEG3, MPEG4, VBR MP3, and WMA
- Subtitles: SSA and SRT

Included Software:
- NitoTV - Play DVD files, enable USB storage and much more
- Couch Surfer Pro - Powerful Safari based web browser
- Sapphire - Play and organize media using IMDB database
- ATVFiles - Browse and play stored media
- Overflow - Combine multiple menu items into a single menu
- AirControl - Use the Loop™ Pointer from Hillcrest Labs on AppleTV
- Keyboard Magic - Robust keyboard support
- XBMC - A fully customizable media center app
- Boxee (beta) - Watch and share media with your friends
- Maintenance - Manage installed apps, and install additional features
- FTP/SFTP/SSH Access - Transfer files to and from your AppleTV
- All Available Video Codecs (Perian, A52, Mplayer + more)

Those features are where it's at! I have a feeling that because the USB port on the new AppleTV is just a micro USB, there won't really be much of a way to hack it like the last one.

EDIT: Could I plug in more than one USB device with a USB hub?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I just went onto the AppleTV clearance page and it said it's $149. I thought you said it dropped to $139?

That sad part is, I am actually considering that.

I just checked. It's $137. I would post a pic, but I'm on my iPhone and don't know how from it.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I don't know what page you are looking at but it's definitely still at $149.

You can take a screenshot on your iPhone by holding down the power and home button at the same time for a brief moment. You should hear a "shutter" sound and a quick flash on the screen.

Then upload the screenshot to your site of choice and post it here, because I doubt anyone here believes you.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I don't know what page you are looking at but it's definitely still at $149.

You can take a screenshot on your iPhone by holding down the power and home button at the same time for a brief moment. You should hear a "shutter" sound and a quick flash on the screen.

Then upload the screenshot to your site of choice and post it here, because I doubt anyone here believes you.

Boom!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 6.13.03 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 6.13.03 PM.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 392

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Very strange. I'm also still showing $149. I cleared Safari's cache and loaded the clearance page from both my iPad and MBP - still $149.

The other two items have different prices, too: Sony BT headphones are $95.95; LAMB case is $149.95.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Okay, I see why the price difference. I bookmarked the business site. Sorry for the confusion. But it was $169 on Friday so it went down $20 already. Do you guys think it will go to $99?

I wouldn't think so, but you never know. Even at $149, I'm already tempted to pick one up as a spare - at $99, I'm not sure I could resist at all.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I'm UK based but in CA at the moment .. Best Buy were selling the 160Gbs for $149 so I picked one up, figured that was pretty cheap for a second box!

Cheers,
Monty

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Okay, I see why the price difference. I bookmarked the business site. Sorry for the confusion. But it was $169 on Friday so it went down $20 already. Do you guys think it will go to $99?

Wow. That explains so much. I think that even at $149, I will end up getting the old one just because of how much of a deal it is. Hell, I am pretty positive I am going to get both of them. Hahahahahahahah. :)

EDIT: I just realized that if I want to put one in my room and my living room I need another HD TV. I guess I have time to save up for it since the new one doesn't come out until at least the 28th, at the keynote Steve Jobs said it would be four weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.