Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Group;

I'm interested in the new 30" cinema displays; but experienced blurred text when I viewed one of my PDF CAD files at the Apple store. I want to verify if this was caused from my PDF file or is it the monitor. I need to see a DWF or DWG CAD file on one of these monitors. Are there any software programs, viewers or plug in I can install at the store to be able to see these CAD files?

Thanks;
Cadkiller

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
DWF or DWG viewer for a MAC

Thanks for the quick reponse and that great link.
I can install the demo version at the store just to be able to check and see a DWG file on the 30" monitor.
They even make a CAD program called Vector works for a MAC that reads DWG files. I wish Autodesk would support a MAC; but they probably are good friends with Bill Gates and Michael Dell.

From;
Cadkiller

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
vectorworks can be a little flaky about reading them, all i can say is that quite often i have to use autocad to reopen em, save them and then import in vectorworks. but i am only using version 10 and guess it has improved since then.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Cadkiller said:
Group;

I'm interested in the new 30" cinema displays; but experienced blurred text when I viewed one of my PDF CAD files at the Apple store. I want to verify if this was caused from my PDF file or is it the monitor. I need to see a DWF or DWG CAD file on one of these monitors. Are there any software programs, viewers or plug in I can install at the store to be able to see these CAD files?

Thanks;
Cadkiller

Cadkiller, if your using AutoCAD to create your original .pdf files how are you doin' it. I'm an occasional AutoCAD user and only today I wanted to forward a drawing to an associate without any CAD software but couldn't figure out how to export as .pdf and resorted to tifout to create a .tif file.

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I use Acroplot to create my PDF files from Autocad. It isn't that cheap I think the entry level one costs about $100 and the full blown version costs about $250. They have many free ones that can do it like PDF factory. Do a search on Google for FREE DWF to PDF.

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
Autodesk makes a DWG reader for the Mac. It was all part of their plan to feel out whether there was a market for AutoCAD on the Mac platform again.

I seem to recall that it was free for download from their website.

If you have any questions about Vectorworks I'd be happy to try and help you there. I use it daily...

The only problems I've had with DWG files in Vectorworks has been dealing with paper space vs. model space and anything that has been done in 3d. ACAD uses one system and VW uses another (NURBS). However, I've heard from a coworker that has already updated his machine to ver 11 of VW (I'm waiting for my update to ship) that it now handles ACAD DWG files beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.