Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonePhreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Toronto
I want to have the Find My iPhone feature on my iPhone but I need MobileMe for that which costs $99/year and in these tough times, not many people can afford that (including me). It's not like there are any features I need on it... I already have an email and don't need their iDisk feature. Is there some third-party app (that's free) that allows me to locate my iPhone from my computer?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I want to have the Find My iPhone feature on my iPhone but I need MobileMe for that which costs $99/year and in these tough times, not many people can afford that (including me). It's not like there are any features I need on it... I already have an email and don't need their iDisk feature. Is there some third-party app (that's free) that allows me to locate my iPhone from my computer?

is $8.25 a month going to break the bank?

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
is $8.25 a month going to break the bank?
I don't think it's an issue of breaking the bank, but having your priorities straightened (mortgage payments, insurance payments, rental/property payments, car payments, etc).

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I don't think it's an issue of breaking the bank, but having your priorities straightened (mortgage payments, insurance payments, rental/property payments, car payments, etc).

I pay my mortgage, my car, my groceries... I have a iPhone, which really is a luxury phone.

I think if anyone can afford the $400 phone and the insane data/voice plan, they can afford another $8 a month for the peace of mind of finding the phone if lost.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I pay my mortgage, my car, my groceries... I have a iPhone, which really is a luxury phone.

I think if anyone can afford the $400 phone and the insane data/voice plan, they can afford another $8 a month for the peace of mind of finding the phone if lost.
Very true. :D

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I could be wrong on this, I've been wrong before, but I believe that this is for one year only. What I mean by this is that at the end of the year, unless you are careful, you will be automatically billed the normal $99.00 charge for the next year. So watch out come next September.

I have MobileMe and have had it for over a year. It is a great service, and I think you will enjoy it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I could be wrong on this, I've been wrong before, but I believe that this is for one year only. What I mean by this is that at the end of the year, unless you are careful, you will be automatically billed the normal $99.00 charge for the next year. So watch out come next September.

Set a reminder for yourself, buy another box on eBay or Amazon at the lower price, and enter the new code on your account on MobileMe. We just did this ourselves--saved about $50 on the family plan by going through Amazon instead of letting Apple auto bill us.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Set a reminder for yourself, buy another box on eBay or Amazon at the lower price, and enter the new code on your account on MobileMe. We just did this ourselves--saved about $50 on the family plan by going through Amazon instead of letting Apple auto bill us.

Great info!

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I wish you could buy the individual components of MobileMe. The rest of the service is completely useless to me, but Find My Phone would be nice to have.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
If you're jailbroken you could try FindMyI and Cylay (Both are great alternatives to Find My iPhone)

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
If you're jailbroken you could try FindMyI and Cylay (Both are great alternatives to Find My iPhone)

The only problem with the alternatives to find my iPhone is that they can fold up shop one day. MobileMe will be here for some time I'm sure and I'm sure they won't close down anytime soon.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
IrishVixen said:

+1

mokeiko

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
IrishVixen said:

Just a warning, to get your box before your current account expires because there is no way to suspend your account until you get a chance to buy the eBay/Amazon box. If you don't, all your data, including everyone you put on the iDisk and in the Gallery, will be deleted. Your me.com email is also deactivated. The alternative is that when your account expires it will automatically bill you $99.00. So stay on your toes unless you want to be billed at the higher rate.

If you do get MobileMe, make sure you download the iDisk and Gallery apps. They do make it very convenient to transfer photos and videos you shoot with your iPhone. It helps adds to the value of just using the findmyphone feature.

clarknick67

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Just a warning, to get your box before your current account expires because there is no way to suspend your account until you get a chance to buy the eBay/Amazon box. If you don't, all your data, including everyone you put on the iDisk and in the Gallery, will be deleted. Your me.com email is also deactivated. The alternative is that when your account expires it will automatically bill you $99.00. So stay on your toes unless you want to be billed at the higher rate.

If you do get MobileMe, make sure you download the iDisk and Gallery apps. They do make it very convenient to transfer photos and videos you shoot with your iPhone. It helps adds to the value of just using the findmyphone feature.

looks nice tips

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Keep in mind, you can add that code at any time prior to expiration without penalty--once you enter the code, it will simply add a year onto your current term, it doesn't shorten that term in any way if you enter a code two months early, for example. So on ours, it shows that the current period ends in November, 2010, at which point the renewal I entered this week kicks in and will expire in November 2011.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Keep in mind, you can add that code at any time prior to expiration without penalty--once you enter the code, it will simply add a year onto your current term, it doesn't shorten that term in any way if you enter a code two months early, for example. So on ours, it shows that the current period ends in November, 2010, at which point the renewal I entered this week kicks in and will expire in November 2011.

That's a very good point. Its only if you try to wait until the last minute that you might have problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.