PDA

View Full Version : Macrumors ads killing Safari

decksnap
Dec 13, 2004, 11:14 AM
I can't figure this out, but it's bugging the heck out of me- Whenever i load a page on MacRumors forums in Safari, (ie. this page), it hangs up trying to load the ads. (In my activity monitor, it says..'a.tribalfusion.com/j.ad?site=MacRumors...' etc.)

If I wait like 30 seconds, the attempt to load the ad will time out and it will FINALLY load the page. It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to bother trying, but I needs me my MacRumors. Any ideas??

Peyote
Dec 13, 2004, 05:49 PM
You must be low on Banner Ad Fluid

:D

iLikeMyiMac
Dec 13, 2004, 06:10 PM
In Safari go to prefs> advanced and change the css style sheet to the attachment.
UnZip it first. It wouldn't let me attach a .css

Mechcozmo
Dec 13, 2004, 06:33 PM
In Safari go to prefs> advanced and change the css style sheet to the attachment.
UnZip it first. It wouldn't let me attach a .css

Ooohhh. Puuuurrddy.

:D

Mudbug
Dec 13, 2004, 08:10 PM
I removed the attachment, simply because it removes a possible revenue stream from our site. I've posted a note for the powers that be to look into the banner you've mentioned...

sorry about the inconvenience.

mud

MrMacMan
Dec 13, 2004, 08:32 PM
:watches huge slap in the face by mudbug:

Woah.

Mudbug
Dec 13, 2004, 08:56 PM
not a slap - it just removes the banners we rely on to keep the site free. Therefore we kinda want those to show.

Mechcozmo
Dec 13, 2004, 09:48 PM
If it makes you feel better, I couldn't afford to click on the ads anyway...

Or do you get money per click and not per buy?

Koodauw
Dec 13, 2004, 10:35 PM
Or do you get money per click and not per buy?

So you get money everytime I shoot that tank? Or Kill the robber? or squash the roach? Sweetness!

As you can see it doesnt take much to amuse me sometimes.

Also somtimes the ads, (or so I assume) start hogging all my CPU power. what gives?

MrMacMan
Dec 14, 2004, 08:07 PM
So you get money everytime I shoot that tank? Or Kill the robber? or squash the roach? Sweetness!

As you can see it doesnt take much to amuse me sometimes.

Also somtimes the ads, (or so I assume) start hogging all my CPU power. what gives?

yeah I would like to know answer.

SilentPanda
Dec 15, 2004, 09:57 AM
First off, I'm a paid member and the ads don't show up for me on the main page but of course the forums do show the ads which is fine.

I do block the ads at home with PithHelmet and the site responds very quick. When I am at work though I do not block the ads because I'm using firefox and am unhappy with the ad blocker that firefox has. But with ads enabled the site loads extremely slow on certain ads. I think some of the ad servers that MacRumors is using are incredibly taxed and others are not. This might be what is causing some of the issues with CPU usage and such. Usually if I just refresh the page while it's trying to load I eventually get a different ad service and the page loads immediately.