Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Hey all, when I come home, I connect my laptop to my HDTV, using the screen as a monitor, and bluetooth mouse/keyboard to control it. I love the Apple TV Interface/OS and wondered if it was possible to run that same thing through my TV from my laptop (Latest 2.4Ghz 13" MBP)?

-Evan

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You can use FrontRow, which is an AppleTV equivalent UI, just without the iTunes Store. You can control your music, videos and photos with a remote ($20 in the Apple Store) or use your bluetooth keyboard.

To access FrontRow, hit Command+Esc

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Just get an Apple TV for $99. You get a sort of similar interface with Front Row, but it's not the same. You don't get Netflix through that interface or rentals. It's basically the Apple TV at its simplest.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah, I use Front Row currently, but would love the additional functionality of the Apple TV, but the ability to go back to my laptop with ease if desired. I take it this isn't possible right now?

-Evan

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, I use Front Row currently, but would love the additional functionality of the Apple TV, but the ability to go back to my laptop with ease if desired. I take it this isn't possible right now?

-Evan

Check out Plex, it is similar to Front Row in a way, but it has way more features and stuff you might be interested in.

If you want something to be exactly like the Apple TV though (in terms of integration with other Apple stuff) it doesn't really exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.