PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an Internal Blu Ray Drive

dissolve
Sep 7, 2010, 12:06 AM
Hi all, I'm looking to buy an internal blu ray drive for backing up and converting my growing collection. I've been reading through threads of people asking about specific models, so I thought a thread where those of you who are happy with yours can post the model. I'm personally not looking for a burner (really just want the cheapest option) but feel free to list yours if you got one. Thanks!

kirreip
Sep 7, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hi all, I'm looking to buy an internal blu ray drive for backing up and converting my growing collection. I've been reading through threads of people asking about specific models, so I thought a thread where those of you who are happy with yours can post the model. I'm personally not looking for a burner (really just want the cheapest option) but feel free to list yours if you got one. Thanks!

Mine is a LG GGW-H20L (http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-internal-dvd-burner-GGW-H20L.jsp). It is discontinued but you might find it somewhere or it successor...

It works fine and is capable of LightScribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe), which is a nice feature imho.

dissolve
Sep 7, 2010, 11:56 PM
Mine is a LG GGW-H20L (http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-internal-dvd-burner-GGW-H20L.jsp). It is discontinued but you might find it somewhere or it successor...

It works fine and is capable of LightScribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe), which is a nice feature imho.

Have you had any issues with the drive disappearing if not used for a while? Also, did you buy it OEM? Thanks!

wonderspark
Sep 8, 2010, 12:25 AM
I finally got around to burning a Blu-ray disc with my LG Super Multi Blue 10x Lightscribe Mac Pro kit burner.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/WH10LS30KMP/
It works! At first, I noticed it making an occasional clicking sound for a second or two, about every 5 minutes or so, but it seems to have stopped doing that now. It has never disappeared, and shows up in the System Profiler and in Adobe Premiere / Encore.

So far, I'm happy.

dissolve
Sep 8, 2010, 12:47 AM
I finally got around to burning a Blu-ray disc with my LG Super Multi Blue 10x Lightscribe Mac Pro kit burner.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/WH10LS30KMP/
It works! At first, I noticed it making an occasional clicking sound for a second or two, about every 5 minutes or so, but it seems to have stopped doing that now. It has never disappeared, and shows up in the System Profiler and in Adobe Premiere / Encore.

So far, I'm happy.

Thanks for the recommendation. That's not a bad price at all for a burner. Definitely looks like a good option.

tomscott1988
Sep 8, 2010, 05:04 AM
Have you had any problems with the mac pro sleeping with this lg drive? if you havent noticed i would check. Just set the preferences to sleep after 5 mins and see if it does. The clicking and attempted reading is a sure sign that the drive isnt operating properly under osx. Generally the clicking and reading stops the machine from sleeping.

As i have documented in another thread, my LG dvd ram drive didnt let my pro sleep and i left it on all the time, and it ended with one of my drives failing. Alot of 3rd party internal drives dont work properly with osx. This is the main issue i have found so far, the drive works perfectly when burning all media, but if the pro wont sleep, and drives go its a pain in the ***!

Khendal
Sep 8, 2010, 05:36 AM
I've ordered the LG from OWC shop...it seems to work well. ...let's hope...

leftPCbehind209
Sep 8, 2010, 08:52 AM
Have you had any problems with the mac pro sleeping with this lg drive? if you havent noticed i would check. Just set the preferences to sleep after 5 mins and see if it does. The clicking and attempted reading is a sure sign that the drive isnt operating properly under osx. Generally the clicking and reading stops the machine from sleeping.

As i have documented in another thread, my LG dvd ram drive didnt let my pro sleep and i left it on all the time, and it ended with one of my drives failing. Alot of 3rd party internal drives dont work properly with osx. This is the main issue i have found so far, the drive works perfectly when burning all media, but if the pro wont sleep, and drives go its a pain in the ***!

I've read about the sleep issue as well.

Do you know anything about the Pioneer burner drives and any issues?

wonderspark
Sep 8, 2010, 03:09 PM

I'll try it right now... give me 7 minutes... haha
(I normally don't sleep my system)

wonderspark
Sep 8, 2010, 03:21 PM
Ok, I set sleep in two minutes, and it slept for eight minutes before I moved the mouse by accident. So, it sleeps!

dissolve
Sep 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
Ok, I set sleep in two minutes, and it slept for eight minutes before I moved the mouse by accident. So, it sleeps!

That's great news. Maybe LG is the way to go. Anyone think it'd be even worth it to go for a super cheap Asus or Lite-on? They're running for only about $50 on newegg now. The read speed is incredibly slow though...

ovrlrd
Sep 9, 2010, 12:40 AM
That's great news. Maybe LG is the way to go. Anyone think it'd be even worth it to go for a super cheap Asus or Lite-on? They're running for only about $50 on newegg now. The read speed is incredibly slow though...

Can't speak for Asus, but Lite-on drives usually die within a year. They aren't very high quality. I have three separate Lite-on DVD burner drives die in three different computers. I guess maybe their Blu-ray drives are better but I just don't trust them anymore.

I don't really have much experience with LG, but it's what I am thinking of buying when I get around to it. The same model that OWC sales is cheaper on Newegg at least, just make sure you pick the OEM version.

dissolve
Sep 9, 2010, 11:27 AM
Can't speak for Asus, but Lite-on drives usually die within a year. They aren't very high quality. I have three separate Lite-on DVD burner drives die in three different computers. I guess maybe their Blu-ray drives are better but I just don't trust them anymore.

I don't really have much experience with LG, but it's what I am thinking of buying when I get around to it. The same model that OWC sales is cheaper on Newegg at least, just make sure you pick the OEM version.

Good to know, thanks. I'll keep an eye on the Asus for more reviews. 4x read speed seems very, very slow. Even the stock drive in the MP seems to take quite some time to copy over a dual-layer DVD.

Hamburg
Sep 11, 2010, 11:07 AM
What about the Plextor PX-B940SA? Is LG the only one which works in a new MP?