Sep 7, 2010, 12:30 AM
can someone please explain to me why I would spend $99 on this when I can just watch and rent the stuff online?
Sep 7, 2010, 12:40 AM
Maybe rephrase your question better?
I think you don't understand that the Apple TV hooks up to your TV?
Unless your TV has those functions already, how exactly is it hard to understand?
Sep 7, 2010, 12:56 AM
As suggested, the biggest sell is getting iTunes store content onto your TV, not a computer.
In general, some of the strengths vs. similar competing electronics are:
1. Simple, Apple-esque interface designed around the use of a remote control instead of computer and mouse.
2. Ability to stream purchased content from your computer's iTunes library to your TV (then take it with you on your iPhone when you're on the go).
3. If you don't watch a lot of TV shows, the new Apple TV may let you eliminate your cable bill while watching the same content for a fraction of the price. Since only two networks currently support the "rental" model, however, you may have to BUY most content through iTunes on your computer, still.
3. Portals to YouTube, Flickr (w/slide shows), and other internet services.
4. Free, on-demand content from video podcasts (I watch full length MSNBC podcasts).