Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoQue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
regarding ibook g4 running os x 10.4

The screen on my ibook g4 randomly goes dark sometimes. The computer is still on as the fans are whirring, and I can hear the hard disks etc. While the screen is dark, when I close the lid it sometimes will not go into sleep mode. When it goes to sleep mode, when I reopen the lid, the screen is back to normal. But lately, closeing the lid won't even put the laptop into sleep mode and i'm forced to restart. I have no idea why this is happening. How can I fix it??

I realise my computer is dated, so I put it in this forum as it's the closest match for the g4.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Can you put it to sleep from the menu bar or power button?

I'm guessing the screen going dark is a problem with the backlight inverter. iBooks are known for having serious issues with the inverter and the wires associated with the LCD screen. I think there are two (or three) sets of wires that run from the logic board to the screen through the hinge. Over time, the wires wear out and you get wierd problems with the screen.

Also, it could be a faulty (or about to be faulty) logic board. The sleep problem could be a symptom of a bad logic board, but to be honest, I've never heard of this one before.

You should proably do a search for "ibook logic board" and "ibook inverter cable".

JoQue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Can you put it to sleep from the menu bar or power button?

yes.

ordinarily, i can put it to sleep wihtout any problems, it runs normally.

when the screen blackout happens, then it usually sleeps when the lid is closed. but the past few times it has blacked out, the computer didn't go to sleep. it required a restart. once logged in, the screen blackout happened again. So after a few restarts I just left it there, and it worked fine after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.