Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BartDeHeerser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Hi guys

I'm looking to buy a new macbook pro for school but I have some questions before I can buy one. For some of my school work I still have to use windows. I'll need windows for SPSS for windows and for MS Office, Access to be more specific.

I already own a 21.5 inch iMac on which I run Windows 7 Ultimate and I have installed MS Office in Windows 7. The problem is that I noticed some difference in using the keys on your keyboard while working in excel or access.

For example: on my windows laptop in excel, i have to hold control and then click on the fields i want to select. I noticed that on my iMac i needed to hold the right alt key on my mac keyboard and then i got to click the fields I want to select. So this is just a slight difference and it doesn't matter at all if I have to use some different keys for this type of actions. As long as I know how to do them offcourse. This may be silly for some of you but in order to get some good grades I really need to know this. Note that I only need to use Access not excel. But I just gave Excel as an example so you guys know where I'm coming from.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this? Are there other key changes I have to know? Or important notes on this subject?

I also have another question. As I already explained above I am running Windows 7 ultimate via Vmware Fusion and I have installed MS Office in this virtual machine. Can I just copy the virtual machine file from my iMac to my macbook pro? So I will have the same settings on my MBP?

Thanks

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
With regards to your question about moving the virtual machine file between different computers, it should work. I haven't used VMWare Fusion, but I use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 in which I have Windows 3.1 and Windows 98 in virtual machines and I occasionally move the VMs between my Windows desktop and my MacBook Pro running Windows 7 and no problems. So I can only believe that you'll get the same result with your VM client.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
It's not a problem moving vm's between computers. When you open it up for the first time on the new machine you will be asked whether you copied or moved the vm. I haven't done this with windoze 7, but with xp moved was the better answer. I believe when answering copy registering the copy of windoze was required.

Not sure about your key combo question. When the vm has mouse focus it behaves like a reqular windoze box. Don't know why you're seeing something different.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi. Before you simply copy the vm, which is a bundled folder really, you'll need to expose it fully apply full permissions to it's existing files for the username on the other machine, then repackage it ad a file then copy it over.

VMWare has a crazy easy step by step guide to get this working. Also, have you installed vmware tools yet?!! This may alleviate the ctrl/alt key requirement that is nagging you.

BartDeHeerser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks for the info prom1! And no, I haven't installed the VMware tools yet!
Going to take a look at those now!

Thanks for the reply's !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.