Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
I found a G4 iMac for sale locally and I would like one for collecting.

Thing is that the guy stated that, "the only problem is the swivel, which is pretty much shot. So the monitor can't be adjusted much, but is very usable". I'm assuming he means that the neck/arm has lost much of its tension and droops out of place.

So is this issue a doable DIY fix? I guess what I want to know is that will it require an entire new neck assembly or can I adjust the tension somehow myself? (I'm also not afraid to take it apart if need be)

Anyhow the asking price is $70 and the specs are as follows:

-17" Display
-1.25GHz G4
-768MB RAM

I believe this was the top and final model of the G4 iMacs. I will be using it mostly for nostalgia/collection and the odd light usage such as itunes/web surfing/possibly mame.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
70 dollars is a good price if it's in good condition. You'll need to see how bad the monitor arm is, if it bothers you or not and if it's maybe fixable?

I bought a 20" iMac G4 (1.25 GHz, 768MB RAM which I later upgraded to 2GB RAM) on eBay in January. In the UK this kind of model still goes for about 200-300 pounds (!)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you really need to see the neck first to make a judgement if its a easy fix or if it needs a rebuild
usually they get lose a bit and just drop down or only stay in one place ,
which would only need the screws (special screwheads with 3 holes )tightening again , but you have to open the neck to look inside first to make sure everything is how it should be inside ,
if the neck is bend , it would indicate that the iMac was dropped at some point in life too :eek:
and there is a spring inside which can become a bit dodgy too if someone (kids) think its a bouncy castle feature :eek:

but for the price the iMac g4 is on offer its well worth even if you would need to replace the whole neck if you cant easy fix it or live with it like it is

here a take apart guide in pictures
http://homepage.mac.com/mactechg4/PhotoAlbum22.html

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I purchased a 17" 1GHz USB 1.1 model for $125 about 2 years ago. The one you're looking at is a much better machine, and for less cash. If the display still functions properly, and sits at an angle that works for you, then its a good buy.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
Alright, thanks people (and thanks for that great link, MacHamster68, I bookmarked that). I think I will buy it, but will first take a closer look at the neck and make sure it isn't horribly damaged.

Anyone have experience tightening those necks? Its tough to find any info online about success's tightening the tension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.