PDA

View Full Version : 'Nike+ GPS' App Comes to the App Store

MacRumors
Sep 7, 2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/09/07/nike-gps-app-comes-to-the-app-store/)

As noted (http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/09/06/nike-releases-nike-gps-app/) on our sister site AppShopper yesterday, Nike has released a new Nike+ GPS (http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/nike-gps) application into the App Store, offering iPhone users new tools for tracking their running performance.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/07/104603-nike_gps_1.jpg

While the Nike+ system built into the iPhone and other devices has required that users purchase a separate sensor to be attached to the user's shoe for tracking, the new application takes advantage of the GPS capability and accelerometer built into the iPhone to provide map-based tracking, as well as pace, and distance traveled. The app also supports challenges, voice feedback, and 'PowerSong' integration to help runners push themselves even further.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/07/104603-nike_gps_2.jpg

Nike+ GPS, which is priced at $1.99, is compatible with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as the second-, third-, and fourth-generation iPod touch, although without the mapping capabilities that require GPS functionality.

Article Link: 'Nike+ GPS' App Comes to the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/09/07/nike-gps-app-comes-to-the-app-store/)

justgeig
Sep 7, 2010, 09:51 AM
Nike needs to come out with a real nice app for us bikers!

GoldenPRGuy
Sep 7, 2010, 10:12 AM
Sadly this is just an attempt at appeasing the hundreds of thousands who use the Nike+ system built into the iPhone that iOS4 broke. Nike has been unable to fix it to date as it was a joint development venture with Apple and can only be updated with iOS updates. I think most are hoping that 4.1 will have the solution, but apparently Nike was not waiting around to find out.

On the plus side, Nike will now be able to fix bugs immediately with app updates. On the downside, the 900+ miles I have already run this year using the iphone native app will not translate to this new one, which kinda sucks from a distance tracking standpoint!

Flowbee
Sep 7, 2010, 10:14 AM

This app should work just fine for bikers. It uses GPS rather than the shoe sensor of the original Nike+ system.

walnuts
Sep 7, 2010, 10:24 AM
Sadly this is just an attempt at appeasing the hundreds of thousands who use the Nike+ system built into the iPhone that iOS4 broke. Nike has been unable to fix it to date as it was a joint development venture with Apple and can only be updated with iOS updates. I think most are hoping that 4.1 will have the solution, but apparently Nike was not waiting around to find out.

On the plus side, Nike will now be able to fix bugs immediately with app updates. On the downside, the 900+ miles I have already run this year using the iphone native app will not translate to this new one, which kinda sucks from a distance tracking standpoint!

As a regular Nike+ user, I'm trying to decide whether this app makes sense for me. I have a few questions for you or anyone who has made the transition:

You said that the run history for the new GPS app doesn't mix with your old built-in app history. Does it all intermingle correctly on the website?
Is the GPS-always-on battery hit limiting? How long could one run for starting with a full battery?
How does the app behave when you get a phone call? The built-in app has a special apple-only multitasking provision.

I really would hope that Apple and Nike could work together to have a single solution for all iPhone users that remains bug free.

thacube
Sep 7, 2010, 10:28 AM

I use Nike+ as well as iOS4 on my iPhone 4 and have no issues. What did it break?

bludodge
Sep 7, 2010, 10:32 AM
Will the Polar Wearlink that I have on order for the heartrate monitoring work with this app? Anyone know yet that uses it?

Superman07
Sep 7, 2010, 10:35 AM
I was thinking about getting a new Nano with Nike+ functionality for the gym/running. It sounds like it'd be better off getting a case and this app instead. This negates the need for the $30 Nike+ kit with monitor, correct?

I'd also be interested in hearing about the heart beat functinoality.

tclary
Sep 7, 2010, 10:40 AM
LOVE the Nike+ app and it's worked flawlessly with every update on iP4. The new GPS tracking makes it even better.

Does anyone know, though, if there is a way (or an app) that will select a song with a tempo to match my stride? THAT would rock (literally).

Carlanga
Sep 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
I didn't mind paying the $2 for it, it's good but they need to update it to add an extra shoe sensor support for even extra precision for us sensor user. Adidas has a similar app called micoach and does the same thing and it's free (haven't fully tested it yet)... so Nike needs to add the extra support for the sensor and newer features to not fall behind. Who doesn't love Adidas? they want to get into the tech side and seems they want to hit it far and give us the stuff for free to attract the tech savvy sport user market back into the Adidas brand...

KidPub
Sep 7, 2010, 10:52 AM
I use Nike+ as well as iOS4 on my iPhone 4 and have no issues. What did it break?

Not sure if this is what's being alluded to, but whenever I stop moving for more than 30 seconds or so, the run stops and I have to start an entirely new run. The 10-mile walk I did this past weekend ended up being recorded as several 1- to 2-mile walks.

Perry

tigertazz
Sep 7, 2010, 10:55 AM
I dont get the point of this app. is Nike just wanting a cut of our wages (again)?
I havent had any problems with the Nike+ app on IP4 or with OS4 or its updates. Surely there would have been a way to get the update into the upcoming 4.1 or even 4.2 in November!!
This is just a money making scheme to line Nike's pockets further.

Then again I dont have to buy it. :D

solarthecat
Sep 7, 2010, 11:04 AM
I am really displeased with this new app.

I just bought the Sensor when the iPhone 4 came out. I did not buy the iPhone 4 because I have been waiting for the white one. Now the sensor is obsolete even before I have a phone to use it with.

I also want the Heart Monitor, but Nike cant even get their act together to support that.

Why is everything so convoluted and incompatible. This is something Apple should be doing.

Sod Nike.

UnseenLlama
Sep 7, 2010, 11:25 AM

I just bought the Sensor when the iPhone 4 came out. I did not buy the iPhone 4 because I have been waiting for the white one. Now the sensor is obsolete even before I have a phone to use it with.

I also want the Heart Monitor, but Nike cant even get their act together to support that.

Why is everything so convoluted and incompatible. This is something Apple should be doing.

Sod Nike.

There is still hope for some type of HRM integration with Polar. They released a version of their Wearlink that transmits via Bluetooth. All* Nike+ or any other exercise app would have to do is intergrate that into their apps.

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/accessories/Polar_WearLink_transmitter_with_Bluetooth

*Understand that it might not be that easy. Hopefully there is some type of common API that could be developed by Polar, similar to what Wahoo Fitness is doing with their Ant+ hardware.

SerenityInt
Sep 7, 2010, 11:30 AM
There is still hope for some type of HRM integration with Polar. They released a version of their Wearlink that transmits via Bluetooth. All* Nike+ or any other exercise app would have to do is intergrate that into their apps.

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/accessories/Polar_WearLink_transmitter_with_Bluetooth

*Understand that it might not be that easy. Hopefully there is some type of common API that could be developed by Polar, similar to what Wahoo Fitness is doing with their Ant+ hardware.

The problem is that there isn't a way to connect to bluetooth HRMs in the iOS API without jailbreaking. Wahoo got around this by manufacturing a sensor that uses the ANT+ open protocol. I think they are the only ones to do this so far.

GoldenPRGuy
Sep 7, 2010, 11:31 AM
As a regular Nike+ user, I'm trying to decide whether this app makes sense for me. I have a few questions for you or anyone who has made the transition:

You said that the run history for the new GPS app doesn't mix with your old built-in app history. Does it all intermingle correctly on the website?
Is the GPS-always-on battery hit limiting? How long could one run for starting with a full battery?
How does the app behave when you get a phone call? The built-in app has a special apple-only multitasking provision.

I really would hope that Apple and Nike could work together to have a single solution for all iPhone users that remains bug free.

These are all great questions, and the truth is I just downloaded it today and have yet to run with it. Here is what I can tell you.
1) You can link it to your account on Nike's site, so I see no reason why the mileage will not accumulate the same way it would if you had multiple sensors for you sneakers. But it will not show properly in the original app on your phone or in Itunes on the Nike+ tab.
2) Absolutely, this will tax the battery on your phone more than the original. It is a basic result of using the GPS. Now, is the GPS active at all times or does it do random position polling, that remains to be seen. What I can tell you is that unless you are running back to back marathons, I don't think that music and GPS use will kill your phone battery, especially not with the new 4's battery life.
3) Great question on the phone use. I will let you know.

And yes, I wish Apple would just fix the native application!

The sensor is far from obsolete. Even with this new app, I still think the sensor -- when it was working -- was the best solution for tracking runs and performance. It is still the only solution that will track you inside on a treadmill if you ever use one on crappy days or at a hotel when traveling. The new app looks great. I plan to use it this evening, I will post my thoughts tonight. Don't give up on the original Nike+ native application, once it is fixed it should be great!

As for waiting on the white iPhone ... way to exercise that will power!! :)

Wow, I'm not even sure how to reply to this one, other than Lucky you. Hit the Nike+ forums sometime, there are over 100,000 posts on how many different ways iOS4 broke the Nike+ app. Wanna trade phones? haha

Imola Ghost
Sep 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
Does this mean that the $29 Nike+ module I just bought a little over a month ago is NOT needed any longer? I could have save about $27 if so.

I don't get it.

blizaine
Sep 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
I switched from Nike+ to RunKeeper months ago and I haven't looked back. It's amazing and has one of the nicest interfaces I've seen on all the run/cycle apps.

It also integrates with the runkeeper.com website and has social networking built in so you can tweet and post your run's to FB. People can click the link and see the route you ran on google maps. You can also have running buddies and track your friend's runs. RunKeeper has a free and paid "Pro" version. The free version does everything except voiceovers.

bender o
Sep 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
I switched from Nike+ to RunKeeper months ago and I haven't looked back. It's amazing and has one of the nicest interfaces I've seen on all the run/cycle apps.

It also integrates with the runkeeper.com website and has social networking built in so you can tweet and post your run's to FB. People can click the link and see the route you ran on google maps. You can also have running buddies and track your friend's runs. RunKeeper has a free and paid "Pro" version. The free version does everything except voiceovers.

That's what I wanted to know, I didn't have the Nike sensor so I was using Runkeeper Pro but I wanted to know how is it compared to the new app.

GoldenPRGuy
Sep 7, 2010, 11:55 AM
Does this mean that the $29 Nike+ module I just bought a little over a month ago is NOT needed any longer? I could have save about $27 if so.

I don't get it.

See my reply to Solarthecat above! :)

mephiska
Sep 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
I got tired of the broken Nike+ built in app and switched to miCoach from Adidas. It does everything the new Nike+ app does but has the advantage of being free!

spencers
Sep 7, 2010, 01:50 PM
I've only used the iPhone Nike+ app a handful of times, as I still use my 1st gen iPod nano when doing Nike+ runs. I don't care to strap a brick to my arm!
GPS? Whatever. As long as my runs get into Nike's + website, I'm golden.

seidelhd
Sep 7, 2010, 02:29 PM

This Nike App looks good, but it is a couple years too late and should have been released with the iPhone 3G. Before getting my iPhone, I used Nike+ on my Nano since it was first released. It was good, but when I bought my iPhone 3G, I started looking at alternatives. I had initially used the RunKeeper Free version for the previous year and upgraded to the Pro version over the summer. RunKeeper still looks superior to this, so I don't see myself going back to the Nike+ system. I'll still wear my Air Pegasus running shoes, though. ;)

rush0
Sep 7, 2010, 03:25 PM
So do you still have to plug this thing in to upload your data?

polarpop
Sep 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
everyone, also check out the micoach app by addidas (its free, and provides coaching as well). I just started setting it up and looks promising...

Carpe Discus
Sep 7, 2010, 05:47 PM

Cyclemeter works great for me. I prefer it to everything I've tried so far.

bludodge
Sep 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
Ok, through the Apple Store you can buy the Polar Wearlink and the Nike + sport kit. I bought the kit, which I can return, but I have the Wearlink coming from another source. If anyone has used the Wearlink with either this new App or the Nike + kit, I would like to know. If this app takes place of the kit, yet I can still use the Wearlink, I will return the kit ( or keep it got my nano that should arrive Friday). Just too many questions about all of this.

Thanks in advance.

passedpast
Sep 7, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'll give this new App a go, but, I gotta tell ya, as a medium fast runnner, running with the iPhone just doesn't get it. I've run a few times with the great Runkeeper Pro App, but the Griffin armband I use is just too constrictive. Instead, I prefer to run with my Nano 5th G, or the Nike Sportsband. Now, would't it have been GREAT if Apple got together with Nike to make a speacial running version of the 6th G Nano that had GPS? Although, I'm sure Nike wants to sell shoes and the foot sensor, for those not savvy to get a pouch, might help their sales....

tmofee
Sep 7, 2010, 07:56 PM
ive used the old nike plus app before, and i never liked the way it synced to the net once you were finished. it never liked firefox and had to upload via safari...

QCassidy352
Sep 7, 2010, 08:12 PM
I want to like this, but there are two crippling flaws. First, using the GPS will drain the battery so fast that I bet you can't even do long runs with this. Second... it requires you to carry an iphone when you run. :p

But seriously, I don't get why people want to do that. Don't you find it annoying and cumbersome? I prefer to run as light as possible.

walnuts
Sep 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
But seriously, I don't get why people want to do that. Don't you find it annoying and cumbersome? I prefer to run as light as possible.

I thought that way for a while. I actually had an iPhone and a separate iPod nano that I used solely for running. One day I tried running with my phone (with my new 3GS it no longer needed the plug in accessory), and I was really surprised. Just strap the sucker on your arm with a decent armband and you'll barely notice it's there. Plus then you have a phone with you, which is a nice safety bonus. Never looked back and was able to sell the nano!

juanster
Sep 8, 2010, 12:41 AM
I think I will keep using RunKeeper Pro for my cycling and will go back to Nike+ for my running.

TripHop
Sep 8, 2010, 03:13 AM
This app should work just fine for bikers. It uses GPS rather than the shoe sensor of the original Nike+ system.I've been using Runkeeper Free for a while now and don't see what this $1.99 app would do that the free one does already. Each of my walks and bike rides gets posted to the Runkeepeer.com (http://Runkeepeer.com) website with a map of my trails. Why pay Nike for something that is mostly a copy of Runkeeper Free? :confused:

smiddlehurst
Sep 8, 2010, 03:24 AM

On the battery side I gave this a whirl this morning on an iPhone 4 with a 98% full battery and the results were better than I expected. A 30 minute walk with the iPhone tucked into a pocket (so fairly weak GPS signal which won't be helping the battery) and a podcast playing took it down to 90% so figure on an average 20% drop per hour to be on the safe side, slightly less if you're carrying it on an armband with a clear view of the sky and slightly less again if you turned data off (let's face it, you're not going to need a 3G connection while running most of the time).

First impressions are very good indeed, I'm not a runner (not built for long distance although I'm very tempted to give it a serious go now the hot weather's buggered off) but I walk a 2 mile(ish) route to work and back every day and wanted something to check distance and pace accurately, especially on some alternative routes I'm trying out. The app worked very nicely indeed, got a perfect route trace despite being hidden away in a pocket and the voice prompts were a nice touch. It's going to be a really nice tool when going on longer walks too, especially if I'm meant to be meeting someone downtown. Only major annoyance is not being able to turn the screen off but I guess it's kinda essential to ensure the GPS keeps working properly.

japanime
Sep 8, 2010, 05:19 AM
I have been using the Nike+ system since 2007, and have logged 11,000 miles during that time.

When I upgraded to iOS4 and found that the Nike+ application no longer worked properly with my iPhone, I didn't immediately connect the dots. I brought my iPhone to the Apple Store, and a "Genius" told me I needed a new sensor. I bought one, and the problem persisted. Then I found the thread on the Nike+ forum about the problems with iOS4.

Now, Nike releases a fix — but they want $1.99 for it, and it doesn't use the sensor.

So, I'm stuck with two sensors and an iPhone that can't use Nike+ UNLESS I want to give Nike more of my money. It's not that $1.99 is a big deal. It's that I wasted $20 on the second sensor even though I didn't need it.

I think I'll log my next 11,000 miles with another company's product.

aliensporebomb
Sep 8, 2010, 07:14 AM
One of the things I do is walk run and cycle a lot so I've tried a lot of the GPS apps on the iPhone and other phone platforms.

Micoach is the evolution of the former "Bones in Motion" application that I used for years on my Verizon cell phone and has applications for cycling, running, walking and other sports. I was happy when I saw that Adidas bought them and rebranded it as Adidas Micoach.

Micoach appears very polished - I've used it to track walks and runs but there is a strange bug that has effected some uses of the application - I noticed that it was having issues tracking my cycling even though I had the phone in my back jersey pocket.

Another good sports GPS is the AllSport GPS package and that didn't have the tracking issue for cycling that Micoach had although historically I prefer Micoach because it's going to be importing my last 3-4 years of data from Bim active into itself and hopefully they'll figure it out (some have reported that if you have 3G and Wifi enabled on the phone it causes problems).

I have to admit the Micoach app is cool because you can be working out, listening to music (I have specific playlists for working out) and have the voice of a coach (male or female, your choice) superimposed over the music (you don't have to have that, it's just an option) urging you to better your performance.

AllSport GPS is nice because it's got specific subroutines for road cycling, mountain biking, running, walking, running, hiking, skiing, skating, driving and "other".

I've also tried MotionX GPS and the problem with that one is that it's very good and has many options but I find it so option laden that it's hard to use for athletic use. They actually split their product off into "MotionX GPS" and "MotionX Drive" for automotive driving usage so the MotionX GPS got a little better for using for athletics.

walnuts
Sep 8, 2010, 08:39 AM
On the battery side I gave this a whirl this morning on an iPhone 4 with a 98% full battery and the results were better than I expected. A 30 minute walk with the iPhone tucked into a pocket (so fairly weak GPS signal which won't be helping the battery) and a podcast playing took it down to 90% so figure on an average 20% drop per hour to be on the safe side, slightly less if you're carrying it on an armband with a clear view of the sky and slightly less again if you turned data off (let's face it, you're not going to need a 3G connection while running most of the time).

Thanks for the feedback! I took the plunge and agree that the battery life was way better than expected. I ran for 45 minutes and used 14% of my battery, without turning off 3G (good idea btw). That rate of battery loss would well cover even marathon length runs.

Anyone have any experience with what happens when you get a phone call?

Its a bit frustrating- I see how many of you commenters are recommending other products. One of the best things Nike+ does is help me keep track of my runs. Losing or fragmenting my records of 2+ years of running would be worse for me than any feature benefit that I would get over this current Nike+ implementation. You all don't feel that way? Especially japanime with your 11,000 miles in three years (that is some serious running!) Is there some way of importing/exporting running history between these competitors that I'm not aware of?

andylyon
Sep 8, 2010, 09:52 AM
What's so good about the Nike + app am I missing something? Doesnt the miCoach Adidas do all this for free?

bludodge
Sep 8, 2010, 10:18 AM
I too wish the posts would answer the questions asked about Nike+, Wearlink, etc. and stay away from recommending other apps. We get that, others are out there, and possibly better. What some of us what to know are the issues with Nike+, how it works (does it turn off if you want to read an e-mail while you walk?), how is the app better than the kit. Does the nano still need the kit. etc. Just listing various questions. I know some have been answered, except some of mine about the wearlink. When I check back all I see is a few people posting their experiences (thank you), but mostly others posting "I use this". For all we know you are the apps developer.....

Flowbee
Sep 8, 2010, 10:19 AM
I've been using Runkeeper Free for a while now and don't see what this $1.99 app would do that the free one does already. Each of my walks and bike rides gets posted to the Runkeepeer.com (http://Runkeepeer.com) website with a map of my trails. Why pay Nike for something that is mostly a copy of Runkeeper Free? :confused:

I think the main selling point of this app is that it allows people to continue using their Nike+ accounts instead of switching to another service. Runkeeper has built a very solid product, but people who have logged thousands of miles with Nike+ may be reluctant to switch to another service. Also, if you're into the "social" aspect, Nike+ still has the biggest community of runners.

GoldenPRGuy
Sep 8, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'm pleased to report that I have just completed my first run after updating my iphone OS to 4.1 and it seems to have fixed all of the issues with the native Nike+ application. It's about F@$%ing time!!

As for this new app, it's nice but I 'd rather keep everything in one place mileage wise.

fishepa
Sep 9, 2010, 08:13 AM
Used it yesterday, worked great.

PJT
Sep 9, 2010, 08:43 AM
As for this new app, it's nice but I 'd rather keep everything in one place mileage wise.

I used the old app this morning with a sensor and the new app tonight without the sensor and all the km go into one account on Nike+. If you mean you want all your history on one app on your phone, then you are right to stick with just one.

I have been using the Nike+ system since 2007, and have logged 11,000 miles during that time.

Now, Nike releases a fix but they want $1.99 for it, and it doesn't use the sensor.

The release of 4.1 said it included a fix for the bug of the old app.

Whether you use the old or new app, they both can send your runs to the same Nike+ account on the web. A least on the Nike site you will not be losing miles.

But I hear you on the frustrations. Sorry about the money spent.

jmuchrisf
Sep 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
I ran with this app yesterday and I was very happy with it. Now I can find shoes that aren't my Nikes, and don't need a sensor.. although I've been happy w/ the nikes I've used, so that's not a big deal.. I just like that it's 'officially' accurate by using GPS.. I'll keep the sensor for the treadmill ...

I love the over the air update of nike+ web site, no need to sync the phone to perform that update!

Marcus72
Sep 9, 2010, 12:42 PM
Isn't Digifit Heartrate monitor apps better than this???

http://digifit.me/

agtwashington
Sep 10, 2010, 12:50 AM
I want to like this, but there are two crippling flaws. First, using the GPS will drain the battery so fast that I bet you can't even do long runs with this. Second... it requires you to carry an iphone when you run. :p

Where I live doesn't have 3G service, so I am on EDGE all of the time. I did about a hour long run and I think I only lost about 10% of my battery.

MDF314159265
Sep 10, 2010, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know, though, if there is a way (or an app) that will select a song with a tempo to match my stride? THAT would rock (literally).

Let me know if you find an app that does just the opposite...
I don't know what it is... maybe an OCD, but I just don't like walking to the beat of my music.

On that note, if you want a good walking song, try "Be Yourself" by Audioslave. I'm sure there are thousands of good walking songs... just saying.

Moleshome
Sep 10, 2010, 07:12 AM
Ok, through the Apple Store you can buy the Polar Wearlink and the Nike + sport kit. I bought the kit, which I can return, but I have the Wearlink coming from another source. If anyone has used the Wearlink with either this new App or the Nike + kit, I would like to know. If this app takes place of the kit, yet I can still use the Wearlink, I will return the kit ( or keep it got my nano that should arrive Friday). Just too many questions about all of this.

You do know that Polar Wearlink is only compatible with the sportband and 5th gen Nano? It doesn't work with iPhone.

KidStallyn
Sep 10, 2010, 11:39 AM
Where I live doesn't have 3G service, so I am on EDGE all of the time. I did about a hour long run and I think I only lost about 10% of my battery.

I used mine for a 4 mile run. In 31 minutes, with GPS and music playing, I only used 3% of my battery life. I started at 100%. The was the first time I used it for a run. I'm still leary of running with my iPhone 4. My iPhone 3G somehow had the moisture indicators tripped, and since I know it had never been anywhere near water, the only thing I can think of was sweat from runs. I store the phone in the pouch of my fuel belt.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/images/mediums/Endurance-4_bottle_Back.jpg

It should stay dry, but even on my lower back, the neoprene is wet. Before I use my iPhone 4 on long runs, I need to find a way to keep moisture out of the dock connector. Are there any dock connector plugs??

jimmyjonn
Sep 10, 2010, 12:38 PM
I'm pleased to report that I have just completed my first run after updating my iphone OS to 4.1 and it seems to have fixed all of the issues with the native Nike+ application. It's about F@$%ing time!!

nice runn

orbiterdictum
Sep 11, 2010, 03:23 PM
Does this work on the iPad, double pixeled? If it does, I'm going to buy it and try to run ridiculously with an iPad armband.

japanime
Sep 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
Does this work on the iPad, double pixeled? If it does, I'm going to buy it and try to run ridiculously with an iPad armband.

That thought actually crossed my mind, too. :D

Seriously, though, it would be cool to have a Nike+ stats-tracking that could be used on the iPad. Not an app you would exercise with, just one to be able to check workout stats.

The Nike+ website is Flash-based, and so not very friendly to Safari.

walnuts
Sep 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
More good battery news. I ran for about 2 hours and 50 minutes (training for the Philly marathon). I turned 3G data off and listened to music the whole way. I had 38% battery left at the end on my 3GS- pretty good by my book.

On a side note, its really incredible to have a mapped record of your run. I know its been possible with things like runkeeper and imapmyrun, but now I can have have mapped records along with keeping my nike+ history. I'm looking forward to putting together a nice collection of maps.

hyteckit
Sep 13, 2010, 01:35 AM
I bought jog log which is $1.99 right now.

Supports heartrate monitor, gps, voice cues, mapping, and elevation.

I use it with conjunction with couch to 5k app. However, you can add you own workouts. I bought the couch to 5k app first, so I didn't bother adding my own workout. Maybe with I'm done with couch to 5k.

spencers
Sep 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
I've only used the iPhone Nike+ app a handful of times, as I still use my 1st gen iPod nano when doing Nike+ runs. I don't care to strap a brick to my arm!
GPS? Whatever. As long as my runs get into Nike's + website, I'm golden.

Update:
I downloaded the App and figured what the heck, I'll try it out. Since I can't really put a Nike+ sensor in/on my Vibram Five Fingers (VFFs), I decided to run while holding my iPhone 4 in my hand. The GPS is surprisingly accurate. Of the 5 mile run I completed, I think the battery was left with roughly 70%. Not bad... I do like that the iPhone automatically syncs the run data to the website, instead of having to plug in to the computer and sync.

But all said and done, I'll stick with my 1st gen nano and Nike+ sensor in my Asics. However, the GPS app will come in handy for runs I do with my VFFs, as it doesn't require a sensor in my "shoe."

walnuts
Sep 22, 2010, 12:44 PM
So here's a question: when traveling abroad, with the 3G roaming turned off, will the app still function? The way I see it is that the phone should be able to collect GPS data without having cell/3G data; it just won't be able to display a map with it.

gerwitz
Sep 30, 2010, 05:10 PM
The problem is that there isn't a way to connect to bluetooth HRMs in the iOS API without jailbreaking. Wahoo got around this by manufacturing a sensor that uses the ANT+ open protocol. I think they are the only ones to do this so far.

Has anyone found the APIs for using ANT+ even *with* jailbreaking?

jauhari
Oct 3, 2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/09/07/nike-gps-app-comes-to-the-app-store/)

As noted (http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/09/06/nike-releases-nike-gps-app/) on our sister site AppShopper yesterday, Nike has released a new Nike+ GPS (http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/nike-gps) application into the App Store, offering iPhone users new tools for tracking their running performance.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/07/104603-nike_gps_1.jpg

While the Nike+ system built into the iPhone and other devices has required that users purchase a separate sensor to be attached to the user's shoe for tracking, the new application takes advantage of the GPS capability and accelerometer built into the iPhone to provide map-based tracking, as well as pace, and distance traveled. The app also supports challenges, voice feedback, and 'PowerSong' integration to help runners push themselves even further.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/07/104603-nike_gps_2.jpg

Nike+ GPS, which is priced at $1.99, is compatible with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as the second-, third-, and fourth-generation iPod touch, although without the mapping capabilities that require GPS functionality.

Article Link: 'Nike+ GPS' App Comes to the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/09/07/nike-gps-app-comes-to-the-app-store/)

So We can use NIKE+GPS App without purchase a separate sensor on iPhone right?

PJT
Oct 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
So We can use NIKE+GPS App without purchase a separate sensor on iPhone right?

Yes, this is no need to purchase the sensor for your shoe.

nsxrox
Oct 9, 2010, 09:18 PM
Has anyone tried this on an elliptical yet? Is the accelerometer, alone, enough to record some type of pace?

beaver183
Oct 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, this is no need to purchase the sensor for your shoe.

That is purely amazing..... exactly what I needed!

nsxrox
Oct 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
Has anyone tried this on an elliptical yet? Is the accelerometer, alone, enough to record some type of pace?

Confirmed that it works great in your pocket on an elliptical!

marshallbedsaul
Oct 17, 2010, 11:05 PM
anyone ever exp. problems with shaking up there iphone when using the plus system? shaking I mean internal I would think after a while something would happen.

goldsmithj28
Oct 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
this app replaced my $300+ running watch from Garmin!

Aero26
Oct 23, 2010, 07:16 PM
If it does, I'm going to buy it and try to run ridiculously with an iPad armband.

:eek: That'll be something to see. Anyway, I tried before buying this app...which is saying something because I doubt I've bought more than 3 apps ever. Calibration on an iPod can be bad. I assume it'd be corrected on the iPhone in accord with the GPS.

But seriously...an iPad? :p

Sarah Hastings
Oct 25, 2010, 05:46 AM
I have used this one and I think this one is good. Adidas has won the competition for me. It is more complete and concise for me.

MacTonald
Oct 26, 2010, 08:35 AM
All seems to work and I am more than satisfied with this! :D

scelzifan
Dec 5, 2010, 11:54 AM
My wife uses this daily and she loves it. I don't know how accurate it really is but she says it is and she swears by it. So I am not going to argue with her.