Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
There's no clean way of switching if off.

WTF?

This is not a nice surprise about your brand new purchase.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
yea, it does suck. I have mine hooked up to belkin BT strip interruptors.

In fact, I have almost ALL my electronics plugged into these as none of them "really" turn off. Been surprised how much lower my electric bill has been.

Switch is wireless...cut power from the couch or anywhere else...works great.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
yea, it does suck. I have mine hooked up to belkin BT strip interruptors.

In fact, I have almost ALL my electronics plugged into these as none of them "really" turn off. Been surprised how much lower my electric bill has been.

Switch is wireless...cut power from the couch or anywhere else...works great.

^^This is what I'd recommend if you really want to turn it off regularly. Just get a power strip with a switch.

I've heard it draws anywhere from 12W to 20W in standby, but that's the closest thing it has (built-in) to a shut down.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Taking out the power does not shutdown the system properly.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Well my cable box works the same way. It has a power button but like the Apple TV it doesn't actually "shut down" - it just cuts off the A/V signal to the TV. If I want to turn it off completely I have to pull the plug.

The cable box stays on so it can record shows...the Apple TV stays on so it can stay synced with iTunes.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Most devices use 1Watt/Hour if that when in standby.. Meaning On average, 1000 hours in standby = 10Pence (15cents in US). Not exactly going to break the bank, you'd spend more for a power strip as stated above.

cube said:
Taking out the power does not shutdown the system properly.
Umm.. And? If you're not going to do that.. Then you won't get anywhere unless you completely reprogram the AppleTV OS to make the power shut down rather than stand by.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I think the AppleTV is more like 18 watts in standby, and the point is not to save money.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I want to switch it off cleanly, not standby.

Can't be any simpler, we have our entire entertainment system on a single power switch.

ON/OFF

That's how it works.

Why go about turning off two or more devices when a single switched power controller is all you need?

Not exactly going to break the bank, you'd spend more for a power strip as stated above.

Most people would already have the power strip, as they probably have more devices then outlets.

TV
Apple TV
Game Consoles ( 3 )
Cable/Sat Descramblers
Audio Receiver
DVR ( not sure why we still have this - hasn't been used in a year )

( the above is my list )

I know on my system there are like 8 devices, when they are OFF, they are OFF.

For me its not about 'breaking the bank', it's about keeping my money in my pocket ! ! !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.