PDA

View Full Version : Constant "buzzing" sound from iBook

Cybbe
Dec 13, 2004, 02:51 PM
I have an iBook G4 1,2 ghz with a 60g HD and I have a constant "buzzing" sound from the left part of the book, where the hd is. Whether this is the fan or not I'm not sure, but it's starts as soon as the machine is switched on. I also imagine it wasnt constantly on before, but i might be mistaken.

Is this normal? The sound can be quite annoying if I work in complete silence but with background noise it's not that easy to hear. Any way to "fix" this?

wordmunger
Dec 13, 2004, 03:01 PM
I have an iBook G4 1,2 ghz with a 60g HD and I have a constant "buzzing" sound from the left part of the book, where the hd is. Whether this is the fan or not I'm not sure, but it's starts as soon as the machine is switched on. I also imagine it wasnt constantly on before, but i might be mistaken.

Is this normal? The sound can be quite annoying if I work in complete silence but with background noise it's not that easy to hear. Any way to "fix" this?

How loud is it? My 14-inch iBook has a VERY slight whir to it, much quieter than the ambient noise of either my Ti400 or a 1.5 GHz AlBook. When I first got the computer, I didn't even notice it, but now I can hear it when I'm in a quiet room.

It might be a problem with your fan. Maybe the best thing is to just call Apple.

Cybbe
Dec 13, 2004, 03:05 PM
Its not very loud, but its quite noticeable when in a quiet room, as in the library on campus and so on. More an irritation than anything, but still dont think it should be necessary for the fan to run constantly. It would be better with a slightly louder fan that turned on when I was running some heavy task once in a while rather than this constant "buzzing".

wordmunger
Dec 13, 2004, 03:10 PM
Its not very loud, but its quite noticeable when in a quiet room, as in the library on campus and so on. More an irritation than anything, but still dont think it should be necessary for the fan to run constantly.

That's my point. If your fan is running constantly, then there's a problem with your computer. How much battery life do you get? You should be getting close to 5 hours if its a relatively new computer. If it's significantly less than that, then you've got a problem that probably requires tech support, because your fan should definitely not be running all the time. I'm not sure I've *ever* heard my iBook fan come on.

haiggy
Dec 13, 2004, 03:11 PM
Well, the other day my drive just stopped working totally. It made some pretty nasty noises whenever trying to do something and just died. I put in the Hardware test CD and it sais the mass storage failed. About half an hour later, I turned the computer on and it booted up just fine. No problems. I think it imght have overheated (even though it was on a wood desk?) Since then I've backed everything up and I'm prepared for my hard drive to go now. I'd say if it gets worse, you should be worried. A normal humming should be normal. If you want to hear REAL fans, put in the Hardware Test cd and do the xtended test and hear it when it tests the logic board. Wow, vacuum? Anyways, I'd say back up everything you've got (you should always do this anyways) just incase the worst happens.