PDA

View Full Version : Numbers vs Mariner Calc for the iPad

ginopiazza49
Sep 7, 2010, 05:13 PM
While I do not use spreadsheets much right now, I do visualize that I "may" have a need for spreadsheets in the future. I keep reading that the Numbers app from Apple is not good. I am curious if anyone has used the Mariner Calc for iPad app, and what they think of it? In other words,*is Mariner Calc for iPad worth getting, or should I just stick with Documents To Go?

Red5403
Sep 7, 2010, 06:53 PM
I am a light weight spreadsheet user, so keep that in mind.

I actually like and use Numbers on the iPad. My needs are simple. My formulas are more than only SUM but not terribly complex. So for my needs, it works great. I can export via email, and have shared my spreadsheets in xls format using iWork.com and that was very easy and painless, for both me and the person I shared it with.

One gripe that I came across was no merging of cells, but that is really minor for me.

Also, I was able to do some really nice formatting, fonts, colors, borders, (many more options than the limited ones on the iPad version) in Numbers on my Mac. While it wasn't necessary, I like things to look good and inviting, especially with something as "plain" as a blank spreadsheet.

And to answer you question, I've not used MarinerCalc. I love their Mac programs, just haven't used any of their apps.

I guess I wanted to reply to your post, not to try and get you to go with either one or the other, but it seems that Numbers for iPad gets labeled as horrible, when it isn't really that bad, depending on your spreadsheet needs. Spreadsheet power users probably won't/don't like it, but for my average needs, it is great.

My 2 cents, maybe helpful or not...