Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hey there, I know this is a common question -- I've searched quite a bit but can't find any recent (iOS 4.0) information.

Can anyone explain what is required to use an iPod Touch 3G as a phone? I'm guessing this would use the Skype Out service or equivalent. Is it even possible? Is it possible without jailbreaking? Is it possible with a bluetooth headset? Does the new 4G Touch change anything?

I'm going to Europe soon and my Verizon phone won't work there. I thought it would be nice if I could make an occasional call on the Touch from a cafe or other public wifi location.

Thanks!

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Oops, on first reading I misread your question entirely. Why not just buy a cheap GSM phone while you're there?

Well, that's what we originally were going to do, just get a pre-paid phone. But from what I've read (and maybe I'm wrong), it has gotten a lot harder to get those phones since 9/11. You need a lot of personal information that one site said many travelers wouldn't have with them. Also, I think they only work within one country, so we'd have to buy new phones for each country.

The cost starts to add up quickly, when all I really wanted was a decent way to make a phone call to book a hotel in the next city, or something like that.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
depends what you are using the phone for, buying a local phone would only make calls cheep to other phones in that country and would still be A LOT to call america.

you best bet is just to simply use the skype app (with skype credit for calling mobiles or landlines in any country) on the many free wifi hotspots that are about. on the 3g you can just use the mic in the headphones, on the 4th gen you can use the inbuilt mic and speaker for a 'speakerphone'.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
you best bet is just to simply use the skype app (with skype credit for calling mobiles or landlines in any country) on the many free wifi hotspots that are about. on the 3g you can just use the mic in the headphones, on the 4th gen you can use the inbuilt mic and speaker for a 'speakerphone'.

Ok, cool, that sounds good. Will a bluetooth headset also work? I've never taken the stock iPod headphones out of the package, I didn't even know it had a microphone in it! They never stay in my ears, so I use some Sony in-ear ones. If bluetooth doesn't work, will any wired headphone + mic product designed for the iPhone work with the Touch?

Thanks!

newcronos

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think the stock iPod Touch headphones have a microphone, but yes the wired ones designed for the iPhone will work.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Thanks for all the information, everyone! I ended up picking this up from Radio Shack, then parked outside a Starbucks, got a wifi signal, and used it to phone my wife via Skype. She said it was really clear but a little faint, but when I held it closer to my mouth then it sounded really good.

This is going to be great! Hopefully the free wifi available in Europe will be fast enough to support a Skype call. And the best part about the mic I bought is that you plug your own headphones into them -- no need for Apple earbuds that won't stay put.

bruceleroy

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
the new touch already has a microphone u didnt need that device...you can just use the stock headphones or speakerphone and you'll be fine

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I have been doing this for awhile with both my old 2G Ipod touch and my brand new 4G version..

I use a set of philips earbuds that have an inline microphone/remote by your jaw.

On my old touch I'd just fire up the skype app and call away. With skype I already have a 1 year unlmiited phone plan and a dedicated phone number. I also use google voice that I give out to anyone and it rings all my skype devices (2 computers) and my cell phone and IOS device if they are online.

This setup has worked great but I did notice if you put the screen to sleep while in a call it messes it up. So you just leave the screen on.

With the new 4G ipod I have been leaving skype running in the background (does kill battery faster) and if someone calls it actually rings the ipod even if I'm not in the skype program right then.

The included microphone on the 4G isnt' great enough to do speakerphone well. The headset works MUCH better.

My workflow is this basically.... someone calls me , my cell phone rings but since I'm on a prepaid cell plan I either ignore them there and pick it up on the skype or call them back right away with skype since its much cheaper and my internet is much more stable then my cell coverage here.

Works out great so far.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Using a 4 gen Touch

I feel like I’m half way there...which obviously isn’t far enough. :eek:

My Jawbone Icon pairs with the iPod Touch (4th gen) just fine. Can hear music through it, etc. When I fire up Skype (ignoring that warning about only working through OS 3.xx), I can hear the Skype welcome “wind up” sound, the dial pad tones, but...from that point forward, the sound switches to the iPod speakers. Very odd.

There’s nothing for info on the Skype site, and the stuff on the Jawbone site focuses on folks who can’t get their Icon to pair at all.

Any idea what the deal is? Seems strange that the audio jumps from the Icon to the speakers for just the call itself while everything else appears to function properly.

@CarlsonCustoms: Which Phillips ear/mic are you using? Need a recommendation in the interim, if you don’t mind. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.