PDA

View Full Version : Help me cut the cord with Comcast / FIOS

Starbucker
Sep 7, 2010, 08:59 PM
I've recently been watching less "regular tv" and more Netflix. I really like the idea of dumping FIOS tv and go with streaming. Biggest problem is sports. Is there a way to get ESPN, Fox Sports, live events outside of comcast or fios? I can get all the networks OTA HD, stream movies via netflix and ATV. I won't win this battle until I can get college and NFL football. Is this possible? It is really sick to have to spend so much money for just a couple of channels/ events.

bigpatky
Sep 7, 2010, 09:19 PM
I've recently been watching less "regular tv" and more Netflix. I really like the idea of dumping FIOS tv and go with streaming. Biggest problem is sports. Is there a way to get ESPN, Fox Sports, live events outside of comcast or fios? I can get all the networks OTA HD, stream movies via netflix and ATV. I won't win this battle until I can get college and NFL football. Is this possible? It is really sick to have to spend so much money for just a couple of channels/ events.

legal options- espn has espn3.com which streams MOST but not all live events covered by espn. you will miss some games. this is free but dependent on your isp. fox sports networks- no legal options for in the home (i guess you could slingbox, go to a bar, etc).

mlb.tv is a great option if you live out of the market of your favorite team. if you can watch the game locally with a cable or satellite provider, it will be blacked out from streaming.

nhl has basically the same options as mlb.tv.

nfl- you can now sign up with directv to get their nfl sunday ticket package streamed without having satellite service.

nba- no streaming options i'm aware of. many many games on tnt and other cable networks like fsn.

we're getting closer as sports fans to cutting the cord completely but we're not there yet.