PDA

View Full Version : Getting iPod out of warranty repaired?!...

Bengt77
Dec 13, 2004, 06:00 PM
Is Apple really such a pain in the arse as it states it can be on the iPod service pages? There, it says it may refuse to repair iPods that are out of warranty, either because the warrenty has expired, or because the iPod has been abused by any means. Does Apple really do so, or do they call you to ask if you want to have your iPod repaired at a certain cost?

My iPod fell last week and something really awful happened. It only fell from a meter height, on carpet, but it fell into pieces. The metal bottom came off from the plastic top and the hard drive jumped out. Really weird. I immediately put it back together. It worked, if nog very well. So I reset my iPod, only to see the folder icon with an exclamation mark over it. Even weirder. I don't know if warranty coveres such damage, but even if it doesn't, I really want to have my iPod repaired.

Does anybody have any first or second hand experience with getting an iPod repaired that might have been or simply was out of warranty? Did Apple do a free repair? Did they send it back, unrepaired? Did you, in that case, have to pay the shipping yourself? Did you pay for the repair?

I have already sent in the iPod service request form and expect to have all the stuff in which to send it back to Apple this week. Should I phone Apple Support to specifically ask for a repair, even if my iPod turns out to be out of warranty? Or will they repair it, no matter what, and charge me later? Actually, I'd rather have the latter than the former; sure I want to pay for a repair, as long as my iPod will work again.

Thanks for any input...

Bengt77
Dec 14, 2004, 12:18 AM
Is it maybe that Apple only handles the warranty repairs and that for repairs outside the warranty, you have to go to the dealer where you bought the iPod? Any ideas?

caveman_uk
Dec 14, 2004, 03:13 AM
Have you tried mounting the ipod and reformating/checking the disc? If the hard disc is screwed you might as well buy a new (or refurb) one.

Bengt77
Dec 14, 2004, 08:03 AM
Have you tried mounting the ipod and reformating/checking the disc? If the hard disc is screwed you might as well buy a new (or refurb) one.

I've tried putting it in the iPod dock, but it doesn't even make the familiar 'connect' sound. The hard drive spins up very fast and noisy (like it does when I just turn on the iPod, which I can't do now anymore, since the battery is empty) and does nothing. It isn't mounted or anything. I will try again tonight and see if it can be mounted.

Darn, I'd hate to have to buy a new one. They're expensive...

Trekkie
Dec 14, 2004, 08:26 AM
You could always try iPod ResQ (http://www.ipodresq.com/) which for $29 will check it out and let you know what it'll cost.

wide
Dec 14, 2004, 04:22 PM
How far past its warranty is it? I nice Apple Genius (if there are any...) might repair/replace it, especially for a ... tip.

For the future, remember to break your iPods before the warranty is over, so you can lie to the Apple people and get a new one for free.

TLRedhawke
Dec 14, 2004, 05:23 PM
The service centre at my shop has been receiving a good number of iPods recently. Any computer technician can have a look at it, and is equally qualified. I say this because Apple will not release the service manuals for iPods, as they insist on servicing them directly. In short, Apple is a bit of a prick about this. That being said, the worst that could happen is if the problem lies in something like the processor or board, in which case, it can't be repaired. The hard drive and battery, the two primary sources of difficulty, can be replaced by third party parts. Our tech has actually found a supplier that carries the 40GB Toshiba 1.8" hard drives.

Bengt77
Dec 15, 2004, 05:20 AM
How far past its warranty is it? I nice Apple Genius (if there are any...) might repair/replace it, especially for a ... tip.

For the future, remember to break your iPods before the warranty is over, so you can lie to the Apple people and get a new one for free.
Actually, it's not out of warranty. I bought it on February 11th. I had my iPod repaired (well, I actually got a new unit) once, that was on July 17th. It's not within the 90 days of repair-warranty, but still well within the original 1 year warranty. So I hope the repair will be free, but since I dropped it and didn't think of lying (stupid me) I don't really expect Apple to do it for nothing.

Any thoughts?!...

wide
Dec 15, 2004, 07:56 PM
Actually, it's not out of warranty. I bought it on February 11th. I had my iPod repaired (well, I actually got a new unit) once, that was on July 17th. It's not within the 90 days of repair-warranty, but still well within the original 1 year warranty. So I hope the repair will be free, but since I dropped it and didn't think of lying (stupid me) I don't really expect Apple to do it for nothing.

Any thoughts?!...

Well, you could mail it in...avoid talking to tech support, and just pay the S&H. I am not sure if you have taken it to an Apple store and asked the people there (and told them the truth), but you could bring it to them, say you went to DC for the weekend without your iPod and when you returned it was not functioning properly. If you already went and told the truth at one apple store, go again and talk to different people or simply go to a different store.

Bengt77
Dec 16, 2004, 08:55 AM
Well, you could mail it in...avoid talking to tech support, and just pay the S&H. I am not sure if you have taken it to an Apple store and asked the people there (and told them the truth), but you could bring it to them, say you went to DC for the weekend without your iPod and when you returned it was not functioning properly. If you already went and told the truth at one apple store, go again and talk to different people or simply go to a different store.
Yeah, well, the fact is that after I dropped it and saw it didn't function properly anymore, I immediately filled in an iPod service form on Apple's site. I had it picked up by UPS yesterday. I hope the service people in Cork won't read my comments, since I've been (too?) honest and wrote that I had dropped my iPod. Still in warranty, but probably not covered by it this time. Dang, I hope it (the repair) isn't going to cost me too much. Well, actually, I hope it isn't going to cost me anything, but that's probably asking too much...

By the way, here in Europe (the main land) we don't have any Apple Stores, so no luck in bringing it in...